(Topic ID: 297220)

Educate Me: What is a 3 strike tournament?

By SantaEatsCheese

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RTS
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have seen several "3 strike" pinball tournaments advertised near me. Can someone walk me through what this actually is?

#2 2 years ago

Basically, you'll play a bunch of 4 player games. The people who get third and forth place in the game get a 'strike'. Like in baseball, 3 strikes, and you're out (of the tournament). Last man standing wins

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Basically, you'll play a bunch of 4 player games. The people who get third and forth place in the game get a 'strike'. Like in baseball, 3 strikes, and you're out (of the tournament). Last man standing wins

Right. Basically, if these are the rules (which they usually are) you'll be guaranteed a minimum of three rounds of pinball.

The format has some advantages...you don't spend time or money qualifying, so the tournaments generally run quicker. The venue gets less crowded as the scrubs strike out and leave. I guess the disadvantage is that you are only guaranteed three games of pinball, but then, if you have a crappy night it's nice that you can just go home instead of hanging around.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right. Basically, if these are the rules (which they usually are) you'll be guaranteed a minimum of three rounds of pinball.
    The format has some advantages...you don't spend time or money qualifying, so the tournaments generally run quicker. The venue gets less crowded as the scrubs strike out and leave. I guess the disadvantage is that you are only guaranteed three games of pinball, but then, if you have a crappy night it's nice that you can just go home instead of hanging around.

Downside being sometimes you get spanked right off the bat. Sometimes the tournament isn’t big enough you get paired up with someone who YOU KNOW is way above your skill-level so it’s feels like you’re walking in to some rounds with a strike.

Ideally you can pair like-skilled players so they all collect strikes. By the time it gets to last man standing even if it’s a very skilled player, you can have a bad ball and get knocked out.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Does not require 4 player games.

2 player games will work.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Does not require 4 player games.
    2 player games will work.

Or three player too, but four is the standard number

#7 2 years ago

Number of strikes is variable as well. Obviously a three strikes has three but I've played in ten strikes progressive where 2nd gets a strike, 3rd gets two strikes, and fourth gets three strikes.

#8 2 years ago

Matchplay refers to the 3 Strikes format as Knockout Tournaments.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educate-me-what-is-a-3-strike-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.