IMG_1541 (resized).JPG
IMG_1539 (resized).JPG
IMG_4629 (resized).JPG
IMG_2123 (resized).JPG
IMG_2122 (resized).JPG
room_pan (resized).jpg
193bc35d21c73498e2c371ae55482626963e08d1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0419 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

All personal preference, of course, but..
Baytona USA, I can NOT STAND that effin' attract sound.music/noise. Arg. (Used to have two of those in one of my arcades.. hearing that "Day-Ton-A!" got really old, really, really quickly.

Outrun is fun, I could enjoy that.

Crusiin' <fill in the blank> is not bad, but car handling sucks, and there's a very annoying bug in some of them that causes you to hit an 'invisible' car. Argh.

IMHO, Rush is the best line of racing games - to me, the car handling is best, and the course 'shortcuts' are fun as hell. Yes, I have two of these (Alcatraz versions), linked and soon to be online to race against others.

Some of them (Rush, at least?) you can interconnect over the internet and race against people states away (assuming you can get a VPN set up fro Rush, not sure about the others..)

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Rush the Rocks are the only one's to consider. I didn't really like the 2049 for the long run however. Stick with the Alcatraz editions, nothing else will compare.
John

We need to race!

Quoted from pinkid:

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

For one of the earleir driving games, I love Hard Drivin' JUST for the instant reply of crashing.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy:

Be aware the older Rush series cabinets do not separate seat/monitor. That can make moving more difficult.

True. The original Rush: Extreme Racing (first in the series) was one solid cabinet. Rush the Rock (Rush: Extreme Racing Alcatraz Edition), the second, did have a two-part cabinet.
However, all Rush's could be upgraded to Rush the Rock, so you will find a lot of RtR's in non-seperatable cabinets. (One of mine is in an original cabinet, the other is splittable.)

#21 7 years ago

Jeez, I thought you had linked me to the Attract Mode sounds.

Sorry guys, I know Daytona's popular, but hearing that call out, every 30 seconds for hours at a time (literally..)... it got old, really quickly.

At least with pins, they only make an attract mode jingle.sound once every fifteen minutes or some such.

#80 7 years ago

I'll reiterate that the fun thing about playing Rush alone is searching for and finding the shortcuts. There's a hell of one in one of RtR's courses that takes you *over* a nudity bar and Atari's offices. (Though you will never see them going the 'regular' way around the shortcut.) Plus, some short-cuts are actually longer-cuts, but fun as heck to just mess around.

Completely non-scientifically, I went through the posts and added up points. (First mention gets two points, second gets a point, and i combined versions - all Rush's together, all Cruisin's together, all Drivin's together, etc..) And this is the 'score' -
Daytona USA - 7
Crusi'n - 7
Rush - 14
Hard Drivin' - 6
Super GT - 2
Rally - 2
Initial D3 - 3
Tokyo Drift - 6
Off Road - 2

I'm surprised Tokyo Drft got that many mentions. May have to look it up.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Loads of fun, and doesn't need a linked second unit taking up more valuable pin space before you get enough out of it to justify its existence.
I think racing is boring, whereas driving like a maniac is a blast!
Now, if half the racing cars went clockwise and the other half counterclockwise, that might be more interesting!

I've heard good things about Crazy Taxi. I've never gotten to play it yet, though.

(And I dunno about the other racers, but you CAN go backwards through Rush tracks. You don't get bonus time, but you do get to see some neat easter eggs.)

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Anyone have an opinion on a good price for a pair?

Don't know for 2049s; for comparison, a single RtR can go for around $300.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hmm got a semi local guy trying to charge me $1300 for a pair of 2049s. Seems high.

Yah, IMHO by far. I (personally) wouldn't go higher than $800 for the pair..

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Natay-Tay:

Wow! East coast prices are quite a deal then. Most pairs of working Rush 2049s don't go for less than $2000 on the west coast.

Quoted from Dayhuff:

That's a good price for both if there working 100% with good monitors. $650 apiece? Heck yeah.
John

Wow. Prices must be higher away from the coast, yeah. (Maybe availablility?) Over here, there's at least two for sale at any one time within 100 miles of DC, NY or Boston.

Part of the reason they're so cheap is because they ARE large, and hell to move. Someone just offered me before Xmas one working 2049 for $200 - I didn't take it because my other games are RtR's, and a single 2049 wouldn't do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the game! Just having one, and trying to move it myself.. Not worth my time. Now maybe sometime in the future, I'll look around for two, and have two RtR's and two 2049's, but.. hey.

Quoted from Grinder901:

There seems to be a large majority preferring the Rush series. Is it the realism factor? The hidden parts in the courses?

I don't know 2049 enough to answer the other questions, but on this one - this is a huge selling point for me. Yeah, car handling is a lot more 'realistic' (to me, again.. but then, I drive like I'm insane!) than Cruisin' or Daytona. Maybe not as much as that Ferrari game, but I've never played that, so can't say. The secrets are fun - those are best when you're playing solo - turn off the drones, pick a slower car, and go cruisin' (pun intended) around San Francisco. The three views are also a plus (not sure how many other games have that), and if you've evern BEEN to San Francisco, it's kinda neat seeing the lesser known landmarks as you fly by.

#118 7 years ago

Case in point..

I played my game tonight, and found TWO new (to me) previously unknown shortcuts. One takes me across a whole bunch of buildings, and you FLY..

9 months later
#146 6 years ago

I believe that you can link up to 8. if not 8, then 4.

5 months later
#152 5 years ago

Stand up or sit down?
Either way, take the monitor out to lighten it up. For sit-down, the cabinet splits in two, to make it easier.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Been a While since I played one, but don't they have 25" CRTs? LCD is fine (The Video is VGA anyways), but does anyone make a 25" 4X3 LCD to put in them?

No. You would have to go wide-screen, and make a new monitor bezel to fit the display.
Main reason I haven't changed over any of my games yet..

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

LCD screens in crt games definitely do not look as good with less rich colors and no scan lines. I would spend the money and get your tubes fixed.

Nah. use an OSSC. You'd need to get a converter anyways. Spend the extra, and use one of these, so that scanlines and pixels look original.
Granted, I'd stick with tubes as long as you can - but if you have to convert because you cannot find a tube to use, and there's no market where you are, then.. it's possible, and preferable to parting a game out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educate-me-on-sit-down-driving-games?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.