IMG_1541 (resized).JPG
IMG_1539 (resized).JPG
IMG_4629 (resized).JPG
IMG_2123 (resized).JPG
IMG_2122 (resized).JPG
room_pan (resized).jpg
193bc35d21c73498e2c371ae55482626963e08d1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0419 (resized).JPG
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 7 years ago

Would like to add a pair of sit down driving games to my collection. I have mostly pins but my teenage daughters would enjoy something different. I want them to have the forced feedback feature to add to the experience. What suggestions do you have? I'd like to find a pair for around, under preferably, $2K. Any titles come to mind? I'd prefer a car theme rather than boats, snowmobiles, etc. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Any of the Sega racers from mid 90s on are pretty good.

#3 7 years ago

I'm researching these also. About to pick up a pair of Daytona USA's. I always liked Outrun in the arcade. The Cruis'n series seems pretty popular. I like Road Riot also which was offroad racing. I think you can easily get a pair for 2K or less.

#4 7 years ago

Steve Ritchie was lead on California Speed, I think. Fun pinball connection.

#5 7 years ago

Look into San Francisco Rush/Rush The Rock/Alcatraz/2049 besides those listed. Good luck in your search!

#6 7 years ago

All personal preference, of course, but..
Baytona USA, I can NOT STAND that effin' attract sound.music/noise. Arg. (Used to have two of those in one of my arcades.. hearing that "Day-Ton-A!" got really old, really, really quickly.

Outrun is fun, I could enjoy that.

Crusiin' <fill in the blank> is not bad, but car handling sucks, and there's a very annoying bug in some of them that causes you to hit an 'invisible' car. Argh.

IMHO, Rush is the best line of racing games - to me, the car handling is best, and the course 'shortcuts' are fun as hell. Yes, I have two of these (Alcatraz versions), linked and soon to be online to race against others.

Some of them (Rush, at least?) you can interconnect over the internet and race against people states away (assuming you can get a VPN set up fro Rush, not sure about the others..)

#7 7 years ago

Rush the Rocks are the only one's to consider. I didn't really like the 2049 for the long run however. Stick with the Alcatraz editions, nothing else will compare.

John

The twins driverless 4-13-08 (resized).JPGThe twins driverless 4-13-08 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

I will offer a different opinion: SF Rush 2049 is the pinnacle of the Atari racers.

Also, I love the Daytona attract mode!

#9 7 years ago

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Rush the Rocks are the only one's to consider. I didn't really like the 2049 for the long run however. Stick with the Alcatraz editions, nothing else will compare.
John

We need to race!

Quoted from pinkid:

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

For one of the earleir driving games, I love Hard Drivin' JUST for the instant reply of crashing.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

Ooooof. Not to sh!t on your opinion, but I don't think that game aged well at all.

#12 7 years ago

The problem with Cruisn games is they are ultra fun in the arcades, but not deep. The problem with the deepest games is those usually did poorly in the arcade, so it's tough to tell.

I LOVE Sega Super GT. You have to be really good to get far in it and race well. And quite frankly, if I hadn't worked at an arcade that had one, I would have never appreciated it. But getting to play it for free and finding out how deep it is, I fell in love.

I don't usually share my prices, but I got my pair for $600 and it was advertised on a group I'm part of.

Having said all that, I'd suggest Rush the Rock over it like others have said. It's more pick up and play than the Sega games, and not crazy expensive. Hydro Thunder is another great pick if you don't mind not racing a car.

#13 7 years ago

Be aware the older Rush series cabinets do not separate seat/monitor. That can make moving more difficult.

#14 7 years ago

All great advice and opinions. Keep them coming. Thanks for your time to help me out!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy:

Be aware the older Rush series cabinets do not separate seat/monitor. That can make moving more difficult.

True. The original Rush: Extreme Racing (first in the series) was one solid cabinet. Rush the Rock (Rush: Extreme Racing Alcatraz Edition), the second, did have a two-part cabinet.
However, all Rush's could be upgraded to Rush the Rock, so you will find a lot of RtR's in non-seperatable cabinets. (One of mine is in an original cabinet, the other is splittable.)

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

We need to race!

Anytime, bring it on.

John

#17 7 years ago

This is outside of the realm of ideas presently offered, and may not be what you are looking for, but another idea would be to have a sim cockpit that you can play PS4, XBox1 or PC games on. The steering wheel and pedals you can get are amazing with force feedback and you can add a buttkicker for great affect. If you want to go crazy expensive you can add varying levels of immersion with hydraulic mechs.

Absolutely all you need to know is on this website:

http://www.isrtv.com/

I have a cockpit that friends absolutely love to play. Its hooked up to a PS3 (with a bunch of games to play like Gran Turismo). I have a G27 wheel and pedals with a Buttkicker:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

The cockpit itself is an Obutto:

https://www.mainperformancepc.com/product/obutto-gaming-cockpits/obutto-ozone-gaming-cockpit/

Everything, including TV and gaming console can be had for about $1500

Racing (resized).jpgRacing (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

All personal preference, of course, but..
Baytona USA, I can NOT STAND that effin' attract sound.music/noise. Arg. (Used to have two of those in one of my arcades.. hearing that "Day-Ton-A!" got really old, really, really quickly.
Outrun is fun, I could enjoy that.
Crusiin' <fill in the blank> is not bad, but car handling sucks, and there's a very annoying bug in some of them that causes you to hit an 'invisible' car. Argh.
IMHO, Rush is the best line of racing games - to me, the car handling is best, and the course 'shortcuts' are fun as hell. Yes, I have two of these (Alcatraz versions), linked and soon to be online to race against others.
Some of them (Rush, at least?) you can interconnect over the internet and race against people states away (assuming you can get a VPN set up fro Rush, not sure about the others..)

IMG_0419 (resized).JPGIMG_0419 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

SEGA RALLY is the best!

#20 7 years ago

Gets more games than the pinballs at my place

20150328_123323 (resized).jpeg20150328_123323 (resized).jpeg

#21 7 years ago

Jeez, I thought you had linked me to the Attract Mode sounds.

Sorry guys, I know Daytona's popular, but hearing that call out, every 30 seconds for hours at a time (literally..)... it got old, really quickly.

At least with pins, they only make an attract mode jingle.sound once every fifteen minutes or some such.

#22 7 years ago

My 2 cents.
I owed a rush the rock it was fun with great graphics and feedback. BUT not playing linked single player got old real quick. The tracks are loops with 3-4 laps. Shortcuts help. But sold after a year.
I originally played c-USA and like the tracks being a linear track. Less boring to a single player. And face it, you won't always have a co-player. These are coming down in price but hard to link. Get a linked pair. I beleive world or exotica are easier.
Drivers are always hard to sell, move and make space for. My advice is don't spend too much plan on keeping them for a year or two and be plesently surprised if you keep them longer.

C-USA was one I played as a teen. So I'm happy I just agreed to buy a pair. I don't know if I will still have in a year. Time will tell.

#23 7 years ago

I vote initial d v.3

If I just had money to burn ferrari 355 challenge due to its realism.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

Better yet: Race Drivin'. Has updated handling, the original tracks from Hard Drivin', and the grandaddy Super Stunt Track. Both require attention and skill and don't rely much on flashy gimmicks (numerous physics violations not withstanding). When I was 15 I got so good at the Super Stunt Track that I played 4 and a half hours for one game.

#25 7 years ago

I bought a SF Rush as an impulse buy at an auction years ago. Tuned it up and upgraded it to Rush the Rock. Great game. Among guests, it by far got the most play out of all the vids in my collection.

Faced with having to move it into storage and then eventually move it to a new house, I sold it instead.

Recently, I bought a Rush 2049 at auction, and I'm currently busy fixing it up. Looking forward to having a sitdown driver again.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

My 2 cents.
I owed a rush the rock it was fun with great graphics and feedback. BUT not playing linked single player got old real quick. The tracks are loops with 3-4 laps. Shortcuts help. But sold after a year.
I originally played c-USA and like the tracks being a linear track. Less boring to a single player.

I'm surprised that you like the linear games more. I think the shortcut, risk/reward nature of the Rush games is what attracts people to them. I know it does for me.

The Cruisn series because it is linear and not overly technical I feel like gets old fast. I love the Rush series for what I mentioned above, and Super GT because it's so difficult and a good lap is way different than a poor one.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Gets more games than the pinballs at my place

I've never understood why people would drive to an arcade to play a car driving game

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If I just had money to burn ferrari 355 challenge due to its realism.

The gnarliest racer I've ever played. Man, Sega really makes some incredible games, don't they?

#29 7 years ago

Tokyo drift is my favorite

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Tokyo drift is my favorite

There is this one rather recent racer, I think it's from Konami, that's nothing but drifting. It's not Initial D, it's... man I can't think of the name for it! It's awesome though.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from phantasmo:

I've never understood why people would drive to an arcade to play a car driving game

True. Probably easier to just order a Ferrari or Lamborghini and drive them around your own race track in real life.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I'm surprised that you like the linear games more. I think the shortcut, risk/reward nature of the Rush games is what attracts people to them. I know it does for me.
The Cruisn series because it is linear and not overly technical I feel like gets old fast. I love the Rush series for what I mentioned above, and Super GT because it's so difficult and a good lap is way different than a poor one.

At first it was real fun. I was surprised also. I'm sure if I would have got both working at the same time I may have kept them. We will see how long cruisin last. Maybe I'm just not a keeper of video games.

#33 7 years ago

I have a rush alcatraz and we love it. Still haven't found all the shortcuts. Best bang for the buck imo. Would really like a pair of mario karts tho, i think the kids would love it.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

There is this one rather recent racer, I think it's from Konami, that's nothing but drifting. It's not Initial D, it's... man I can't think of the name for it! It's awesome though.

A company called Walhap recently distributed a game through Sega, called Storm Racer G. All blue cabinet, camera takes your pic, all drifting. I have 2 of them. Just pulled them out of NYNY for refurb.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

A company called Walhap recently distributed a game through Sega, called Storm Racer G. All blue cabinet, camera takes your pic, all drifting. I have 2 of them. Just pulled them out of NYNY for refurb.

How do you like them?

I am looking for a pair of good racers.

What do you think of MarioKarts?

#36 7 years ago

Oh yeah! I've played it at my local Round1. However, they're curiously unlinked, and even after asking the staff there, they remain so.

Are you going to put them back in NYNY or in Fremont?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

How do you like them?
I am looking for a pair of good racers.
What do you think of MarioKarts?

I would avoid Wahlap equipment at this time. I own at least 8 of their games, and have had a lot of problems from day 1.

I own a pair of Mario Kart 2. IMO, Mario Carts are not really "racing" games. They're more of a fun, kiddie style game. They're plenty of fun, but not in a skill based way like an Initial D or Grid.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh yeah! I've played it at my local Round1. However, they're curiously unlinked, and even after asking the staff there, they remain so.
Are you going to put them back in NYNY or in Fremont?

One of them has a failed main computer. We've sent it out for repair. The other one is refurbed and ready for Fremont. I may wait until they are both ready before bringing them in. Maybe a month from now depending on how long the repair takes.

They're probably not linked because they require a network hub to link even just 2 games. Mine are linked.

#39 7 years ago

If you already own an xbox you can build your own raceing sim for around 2000. This is a really high end one that he paid for someone to weld up a frame for. You can use it for a variety of raceing games too so its better than buying a pre made machine.

20170116_214038 (resized).jpg20170116_214038 (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

I have owned a few sit down drivers. Cruisin Exotica gets a lot of play by my kids and guests. I've honestly never played it (I don't play most of my vids) but it is colorful and easy. I would recommend against Initial D3. They are realistic, challenging, have fun music and good graphics and a neat card save feature. But...they are too tough and realistic and never get played. I tried it once and hated it. It was so hard it seemed impossible. Also, they are VERY heavy, like 500 lbs, and don't freaking come apart! I want to get rid of them but am not sure how to get the monstrosities out of my basement. I will give them away to anyone that can get them out of my basement. No takers yet. Heck, I'd pay somebody $500 to get them out.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I will offer a different opinion: SF Rush 2049

Get the tournament edition.

Quoted from pinkid:

Hard Drivin' !!!!!!!

Get two Race Drivin's and link them to race each other.

LTG : )

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I have owned a few sit down drivers. Cruisin Exotica gets a lot of play by my kids and guests. I've honestly never played it (I don't play most of my vids) but it is colorful and easy. I would recommend against Initial D3. They are realistic, challenging, have fun music and good graphics and a neat card save feature. But...they are too tough and realistic and never get played. I tried it once and hated it. It was so hard it seemed impossible. Also, they are VERY heavy, like 500 lbs, and don't freaking come apart! I want to get rid of them but am not sure how to get the monstrosities out of my basement. I will give them away to anyone that can get them out of my basement. No takers yet. Heck, I'd pay somebody $500 to get them out.

I owned them a few years ago. ID3 pair will separate. You need to remove the entire center console & cashbox to do it. A ton of wiring too. It sucks.

#43 7 years ago

Tokyo drift is the best at your price point in my opinion,I was able to buy a pair that were kitted cruisin world cabs for around 1000.Second vote is for rush the rock alcatraz edition,Ahead of its time,Great game.

#44 7 years ago

A buddy of mine made this out of an old Indy 500 racing game and sold it to me recently. It has a Logitech G27 wheel, pedals, and shifter and can play any PS3 or PC racing game. It gets a lot of use and is a lot of fun! I usually play Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or Gran Turismo on it but I have a bunch of other games for it.

IMG_20161207_230130145 (resized).jpgIMG_20161207_230130145 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

I have 2 need for speed carbons with 32" led monitors. I can switch shifter,hard drive, io board and they are NASCAR also

IMG_7359 (resized).JPGIMG_7359 (resized).JPG

#46 7 years ago

I owned them a few years ago. ID3 pair will separate. You need to remove the entire center console & cashbox to do it. A ton of wiring too. It sucks.

I am talking about each individual unit/seat. Tell me how to do it if that is what you mean.

#47 7 years ago

I would avoid Wahlap equipment at this time. I own at least 8 of their games, and have had a lot of problems from day 1.
I own a pair of Mario Kart 2. IMO, Mario Carts are not really "racing" games. They're more of a fun, kiddie style game. They're plenty of fun, but not in a skill based way like an Initial D or Grid.

If you ever sell your pair of Mario Kart 2 let me know? Ill buy them.

#48 7 years ago

I lugged one of these around on the fair circuit for 4 years 84 to87 actually easy to move. pretty rare now, I suppose

highway atari (resized).jpghighway atari (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

Anyone wanting to sell a pair of these Rush the Rocks let me know please?

#50 7 years ago

I have a Daytona USA 2 Twin, LOVE IT!

Linked cabs are the only way to go, plus lots of support for Sega. I can even send out boards for repair if needed.

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educate-me-on-sit-down-driving-games?hl=phantasmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.