IMG_1541 (resized).JPG
IMG_1539 (resized).JPG
IMG_4629 (resized).JPG
IMG_2123 (resized).JPG
IMG_2122 (resized).JPG
room_pan (resized).jpg
193bc35d21c73498e2c371ae55482626963e08d1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0419 (resized).JPG
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

If you ever sell your pair of Mario Kart 2 let me know? Ill buy them.

I have a pair of Mario kart 2's and my sons love them. If you have children the karts are a big hit.

#52 7 years ago

The greatest and most fun arcade driving game is Ironman Ivan Stewart's Off Raod in my opinion, but it's not sit down. (however three can play in the space of one sit down game)

ivan-ironman-stewarts-super-off-road-arcade (resized).jpgivan-ironman-stewarts-super-off-road-arcade (resized).jpg

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The greatest and most fun arcade driving game is Ironman Ivan Stewart's Off Raod in my opinion, but it's not sit down. (however three can play in the space of one sit down game)

I prefer Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat for the pit stops where you can bump other racers out of their pit stall. A bit more strategy and since the cars take damage you can't just crash into every turn.

#54 7 years ago

I always thought Hydro Thunder was cool, but I don't see anyone mentioning it here. It's not road racing, but the waterways might as well be roads. I thought that catching air off waterfalls and such was pretty fun.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I am talking about each individual unit/seat. Tell me how to do it if that is what you mean.

Oh, I misunderstood. No, you can't separate the seat base from the main cabinet like most other games. Daytona USA 2 uses the same steel cabinet structure.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I always thought Hydro Thunder was cool, but I don't see anyone mentioning it here. It's not road racing, but the waterways might as well be roads. I thought that catching air off waterfalls and such was pretty fun.

That was indeed a grear game! Loved the fans.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I prefer Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat for the pit stops where you can bump other racers out of their pit stall. A bit more strategy and since the cars take damage you can't just crash into every turn.

Great picks! I love top down racers!!

Have either of you ever played Sega's Hot Rod? It was a 4 player top down racer where the screen scrolled! Players that couldn't keep up would get bumped ahead but at a heavy loss of gas. Run out of petrol and it's game over. I loved it, but didn't see it around much.

#58 7 years ago

Race Drivin' is still my favorite. I have two of them linked.

#59 7 years ago

Another vote for the Rush series here. My dad was/is an operator so I spent a lot of time playing various racers growing up. The cruisin series sucks for owning IMO, Rush is a lot more fun. Some of the sega racers are decent too but Rush blows everything else out of the water IMO. Theres also the Thunder series which is pretty fun and worth looking into as well. Offroad Thunder being my personal fave there.

#60 7 years ago

One no one has mentioned is Lucky and Wild. I've wanted one for years. I missed one close to me a couple years ago.

It's a driving and shooting game where each player does each. The characters are like Lethal Weapon and is pretty amusing.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I have owned a few sit down drivers. Cruisin Exotica gets a lot of play by my kids and guests. I've honestly never played it (I don't play most of my vids) but it is colorful and easy. I would recommend against Initial D3. They are realistic, challenging, have fun music and good graphics and a neat card save feature. But...they are too tough and realistic and never get played. I tried it once and hated it. It was so hard it seemed impossible. Also, they are VERY heavy, like 500 lbs, and don't freaking come apart! I want to get rid of them but am not sure how to get the monstrosities out of my basement. I will give them away to anyone that can get them out of my basement. No takers yet. Heck, I'd pay somebody $500 to get them out.

Careful now, I am almost tempted by that. You are a 10 hour drive and that 500 would cover gas and food...

#62 7 years ago

There was a Ferrari one in played years nack. 3 screens, shifter with a clutch it forced you to use. Hands down the best driving simulation I played. Can't recall it's name tho.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Can't recall it's name tho.

Ferrari F355 Challenge. Cool game. You wore your tires down and eventually got stopped in the pit and got new tires, car going up and down was impressive. Skid marks and stuff stayed for the whole race.

LTG : )

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Anyone wanting to sell a pair of these Rush the Rocks let me know please?

Last I saw, there was a pair of 2049's on CL for sale in either Lemoore or Coalinga, can't remember which offhand. They wanted $1500 for them but they've been sitting for a while. If you can get them both for a grand, that'd be a pretty good deal. I do know of an op that was selling his pair of RTR's for $800 but that was a couple years ago and I have no idea if he still has them.

Ultimately, I hope one of the KLOV guys comes up with a way to run ALL of the Rush iterations of games on one system, non-emulated. It can already be done within each of the Rush series, pre-2049 and 2049, with a HDD and chip swap, but they're only compatible with that particular series/hardware. It'd be nice to have a multi-game switchable card like what VectorLabs does with their DK4 card(http://www.vector-labs.com/index_dk.html) to run any of the 6(I think) different versions.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from phantasmo:

I've never understood why people would drive to an arcade to play a car driving game

Spending the night in jail once or twice for driving aggressively helped me understand.

#66 7 years ago

Can someone post a video of the Rush the Rock? And/ or others mentioned here?

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I have owned a few sit down drivers. Cruisin Exotica gets a lot of play by my kids and guests. I've honestly never played it (I don't play most of my vids) but it is colorful and easy. I would recommend against Initial D3. They are realistic, challenging, have fun music and good graphics and a neat card save feature. But...they are too tough and realistic and never get played. I tried it once and hated it. It was so hard it seemed impossible. Also, they are VERY heavy, like 500 lbs, and don't freaking come apart! I want to get rid of them but am not sure how to get the monstrosities out of my basement. I will give them away to anyone that can get them out of my basement. No takers yet. Heck, I'd pay somebody $500 to get them out.

Another one similar to the Initial D series is Wangan Midnight: Maximum Tune. I have a pair of those. It's a bit serious, but not too ridiculous. There's a bit of drifting, but it doesn't make or break a race. It's got the cheesy dialogue from the anime/manga (sorry not sure the proper term) that it's based on, but it's a fun game. I could swap the disc and security chip out for Outrun 2 SP and it'd play the same but lack the force feedback...or I could dig into netbooting but that's way off topic for this discussion and much deeper than it's worth getting into. Google that if you want to go down a techy rabbit hole of possibilities with linked arcade racing games.

There really aren't any you could go wrong with, per se. Just look up any of these titles and see if they're too serious, or too goofy for the style of racing game you want. Hydro Thunder would be a good choice if smaller folks would be racing and couldn't reach the pedals--there's only a throttle on that game.

#68 7 years ago

Maybe you should get a pair of Afterburner Climaxes linked for two player. It's not racing but I think it would be pretty cool.

#69 7 years ago

If anyone in their searches runs across the cruisin USA security link chips let me know. They have A-19993 let me know I need two.

#70 7 years ago

Is there any version of a sit down Mario kart with the pop balloon battle instead of racing? Or can it be added some way?

#71 7 years ago

I made my owe... made a cab, put a jailbreak ps3 in it with 24 games, logitech force feedback GT with real arcade pedal. 32" tv, mini amp, sub under the seat.

Work like a charm, very immersive, soind and image are awesome!

IMG_4165 (resized).JPGIMG_4165 (resized).JPG

IMG_4166 (resized).JPGIMG_4166 (resized).JPG

IMG_4167 (resized).JPGIMG_4167 (resized).JPG

#72 7 years ago

I've owned a pair of Cruisn Exoticas for a few years and we've really enjoyed these.
Not overly complex or deep but a ton of fun to play.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Can someone post a video of the Rush the Rock? And/ or others mentioned here?

YouTube man. It's loaded with videos

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ferrari F355 Challenge. Cool game. You wore your tires down and eventually got stopped in the pit and got new tires, car going up and down was impressive. Skid marks and stuff stayed for the whole race.

Specifically the deluxe version. The developer, Yu Suzuki, owned a F355 and wanted to make the most realistic driver possible. There is a twin aka side by side version. The Deluxe has three screens, but each screen has its own naomi (arcade version of the dreamcast with double the ram). Ontop of the three naomi's for the screen it has a 4th that ties them altogether. In short, this beast is very expensive to keep running and can be prone to failure. You in essence have 3 full arcade games and 1 minus a monitor.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

In short, this beast is very expensive to keep running and can be prone to failure.

I had one for a few years and was fortunate it worked great here.

#77 7 years ago

One thing I've learned about people that are looking to buy a driving game is half the time they don't know what there looking at. There just so excited to drive and buy one that they over look many important things (pinball is the same way) for example. How is the monitor color, does the force feed steering work, do the pedals all work like they should, do all the buttons and lights work correctly including the one behind the marquee, how about the shifter does it operate correctly in all four gears? I had a spring clip break off in one of mine during a party, it was cheap and easy part to replace but still. How is the condition of the steering wheel? Mine were both soaked from oil from people's hands that there were disgusting and HAD to be replaced.
I guess what I'm saying is look it over carefully and go through a diagnostics check before you buy. Decide on which on you like the best and play several of them if possible to compare one to the other. Good luck.

John

#78 7 years ago

I've got a pair of California Speed's. Had Steve Ritchie sign the translites...

They get a ton of play...

#79 7 years ago

Jeez now I need a rush the rock. Really though fun topic. I only enjoyed the rush series, but I also extensively played console racers like gran turismo 1 on the ps1.

I also enjoy hydro thunder.

When I have room in the future I'll snag one of these!

#80 7 years ago

I'll reiterate that the fun thing about playing Rush alone is searching for and finding the shortcuts. There's a hell of one in one of RtR's courses that takes you *over* a nudity bar and Atari's offices. (Though you will never see them going the 'regular' way around the shortcut.) Plus, some short-cuts are actually longer-cuts, but fun as heck to just mess around.

Completely non-scientifically, I went through the posts and added up points. (First mention gets two points, second gets a point, and i combined versions - all Rush's together, all Cruisin's together, all Drivin's together, etc..) And this is the 'score' -
Daytona USA - 7
Crusi'n - 7
Rush - 14
Hard Drivin' - 6
Super GT - 2
Rally - 2
Initial D3 - 3
Tokyo Drift - 6
Off Road - 2

I'm surprised Tokyo Drft got that many mentions. May have to look it up.

#81 7 years ago

Never a big arcade Rush fan but absolutely loved Rush 2 for N64. You're absolutely right the shortcuts are best thing about that series.

On N64 they had collectibles hiding in nooks and crannys of the courses. Cans of Mountain Dew and keys would unlock cars or courses.

Another neat feature of the console version was a stunt course where you get points for driving on 2 wheels or however many flips in the air. There many different shaped obstacles to jump over.

I killed a lot of afternoons on that game.

#82 7 years ago

Anybody care for any of the early Taito racers? I had the opportunity to get a Cisco Heat one time but passed.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Rush the Rocks are the only one's to consider. I didn't really like the 2049 for the long run however. Stick with the Alcatraz editions, nothing else will compare.
John

I was going to do what what Dayhuff did but a guy talked me into a XBOX plus Fanatec and RSEATS and you'll never get board even if u only play Forza

Rseat evo (resized).jpgRseat evo (resized).jpg

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I was going to do what what Dayhuff did but a guy talked me into a XBOX plus Fanatec and RSEATS and you'll never get board even if u only play Forza

Thats awesome man! You will have a lot of fun with forza. Dirt is fun rally game with hill climbs and tons of other races.

You can play a head to head game against a friend called drunk driver where you have to finish a beer before the end of the race. You are not allowed to race while drinking so you have to completely stop while drinking the beer.

Have fun!!!

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Never a big arcade Rush fan but absolutely loved Rush 2 for N64. You're absolutely right the shortcuts are best thing about that series.
On N64 they had collectibles hiding in nooks and crannys of the courses. Cans of Mountain Dew and keys would unlock cars or courses.
Another neat feature of the console version was a stunt course where you get points for driving on 2 wheels or however many flips in the air. There many different shaped obstacles to jump over.
I killed a lot of afternoons on that game.

I think, but might be wrong, that the stunt course was only in Rush 2049. It is awesome though, I agree.

Rush 2049 in the arcade also had collectibles.

#86 7 years ago

I was lucky to score my own favorite "sit down driving game" close by for cheap. It's not exactly racing, though, except against the clock...

Crazy Taxi!

Loads of fun, and doesn't need a linked second unit taking up more valuable pin space before you get enough out of it to justify its existence.

I think racing is boring, whereas driving like a maniac is a blast!

Now, if half the racing cars went clockwise and the other half counterclockwise, that might be more interesting!

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Loads of fun, and doesn't need a linked second unit taking up more valuable pin space before you get enough out of it to justify its existence.
I think racing is boring, whereas driving like a maniac is a blast!
Now, if half the racing cars went clockwise and the other half counterclockwise, that might be more interesting!

I've heard good things about Crazy Taxi. I've never gotten to play it yet, though.

(And I dunno about the other racers, but you CAN go backwards through Rush tracks. You don't get bonus time, but you do get to see some neat easter eggs.)

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I've owned a pair of Cruisn Exoticas for a few years and we've really enjoyed these.
Not overly complex or deep but a ton of fun to play.

I've owned a linked pair of Cruis'n Exoticas for many years (they cost me more than $2K each way back then). My two nieces used to visit once a year and loved racing against each other over and over. Pinball didn't interest them nearly as much because they weren't good at pinball and pinball isn't that much fun when a whole game is over in two minutes or less.

#89 7 years ago

I agree with many others on this thread that Rush is the best option. Rush 2049 is by far my favorite! I have a pair of special edition Rush 2049s linked up in my game room. The are a party favorite for sure! I can play for hours by myself too though trying to find the hidden shortcuts and fun ramps or collecting the hidden coins on the different tracks.

The seats separated from the cab very easily so I could get them into our smaller "game room extension" that we converted. The tops/front also can fold down after removing 3 screws from the top if the cab is too tall & wide still to fit through a doorway.

#90 7 years ago

I have 2 Offroad Thunders that i find to be pretty fun and competitive with different race modes to keep it interesting. I mean, the game is terrible and if you have one i would definitely take it off your hands so i can have 3 of the awful games side by side to just never play...ever.

I'm near Chicago, and can pick up. Preferably fully working since i already had to basically re-build the 2 from pieces and get all new monitors.

-c

#91 7 years ago

What's a good price to pay for a pair of linked Rush 2049s? Is it a game that has a decent longevity in a home environment?

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

This is outside of the realm of ideas presently offered, and may not be what you are looking for, but another idea would be to have a sim cockpit that you can play PS4, XBox1 or PC games on. The steering wheel and pedals you can get are amazing with force feedback and you can add a buttkicker for great affect. If you want to go crazy expensive you can add varying levels of immersion with hydraulic mechs.
Absolutely all you need to know is on this website:
http://www.isrtv.com/
I have a cockpit that friends absolutely love to play. Its hooked up to a PS3 (with a bunch of games to play like Gran Turismo). I have a G27 wheel and pedals with a Buttkicker:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/
The cockpit itself is an Obutto:
https://www.mainperformancepc.com/product/obutto-gaming-cockpits/obutto-ozone-gaming-cockpit/
Everything, including TV and gaming console can be had for about $1500

Thanks for the links and costing me some cash Just bought a complete semi entry level setup. A nice wheel, pedals, shifter and such and a playseat. Anyway, I've been watching a ton of videos in anticipation and ran across this. I can't wait to try this with my HTC Vive...btw this guy is a brilliant driver and makes it look so fricken cool.

#93 7 years ago

I have at least two of every game listed on here for sale. If anyone wants quotes let me know.

#94 7 years ago

Even have f355s listed locally and online

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

What's a good price to pay for a pair of linked Rush 2049s? Is it a game that has a decent longevity in a home environment?

Anyone have an opinion on a good price for a pair?

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Anyone have an opinion on a good price for a pair?

Don't know for 2049s; for comparison, a single RtR can go for around $300.

#97 7 years ago

Hmm got a semi local guy trying to charge me $1300 for a pair of 2049s. Seems high.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hmm got a semi local guy trying to charge me $1300 for a pair of 2049s. Seems high.

Yah, IMHO by far. I (personally) wouldn't go higher than $800 for the pair..

#99 7 years ago

I have 2 Hydro-Thunder sit down games, these are a favorite. I used to have 2 Rush the Rock Alcatraz editions, but ended up selling them for one of these, because I can play any game I want with a PS3 or PC - I happen to be a dealer so that was my excuse to buy, but love it and ended up taking one home for my own arcade

IMG_0410 (resized).PNGIMG_0410 (resized).PNG

#100 7 years ago

I added these 4 linked Daytona to my collection back in 2008. Since this picture I have the correct numbering on the seats and I replaced all the monitors with new CRTs before all those were gone for good as I got tired of messing with the original medium res units. So I probably now own the most expensive set of Daytona sit-downs on plant Earth but they are by far the hit of my gameroom.

2008 Gameroom Daytona 005 (resized).jpg2008 Gameroom Daytona 005 (resized).jpg

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/educate-me-on-sit-down-driving-games/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.