20201030_173801 (resized).jpg
20201030_173749 (resized).jpg
03E08209-2410-4502-BA51-972DB9F46204 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1221 (resized).jpg
20201008_070824 (resized).jpg
120956706_10221242716570627_6942602672125133609_o (resized).jpg
121005900_10221242716250619_24295059943755413_o (resized).jpg
DSCN0110.JPG (resized).jpg
There are 276 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 3 years ago

RIP Eddie!

In other news Keith Richards will be turning 125 soon!

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Eddie's words not mine.

I know. That was not a critique of you. I'm just kind of amazed at the level of denial some folks have. At least Ozzy owns it. He knows exactly why his ass should be dead.

#153 3 years ago
#154 3 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

RIP Eddie!

#155 3 years ago

"Breaking the band" Van Halen, I watched it a few months ago. If you haven't watched it check it out.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

and still main-lining heroin into his eyeball.

#157 3 years ago

Set list from 5-12-81.
Was at the show where
5 of the songs were the very
1st Live Performance.( who knew)
I Remember UNCHAINED
Like it was yesterday!

A31A251E-07A1-4B46-A09B-5FE58E5441C8 (resized).jpegA31A251E-07A1-4B46-A09B-5FE58E5441C8 (resized).jpeg
#158 3 years ago

Wtf? I’m actually looking forward to hitting rush hour traffic in about an hour! Planning on listening to the Sammy years with a new appreciation in today’s bumper to bumper jam session. Guess butterfly effect in effect here. Guy I never met passes away and I in turn get to enjoy sitting in traffic. Didn’t expect that....but then again I never lost an idol before. Damn it Eddie I can’t fucking thank you enough dude.

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Light it up!

On R-T-R no less! Love it!

#160 3 years ago

10 18 07 United centre . For some reason I am unable to upload any more from my tablet .eddie Hung out on the side of the stage during a drum solo . Chain smoking the whole time ...

VH 015-1.jpgVH 015-1.jpgVH 202.jpgVH 202.jpg
#161 3 years ago

10 18 07 United centre. Dos more ...

VH 117A.JPGVH 117A.JPGVH 214-1.jpgVH 214-1.jpg
#162 3 years ago

2 24 2012 United centre. Pic with confetti was during jump which was the last song they played for the last few tours ...

DSCN0080.JPG (resized).jpgDSCN0080.JPG (resized).jpgDSCN0110.JPG (resized).jpgDSCN0110.JPG (resized).jpg
#163 3 years ago

Eddie at the Verizon Center in Washington DC, 2012.

121005900_10221242716250619_24295059943755413_o (resized).jpg121005900_10221242716250619_24295059943755413_o (resized).jpg

120956706_10221242716570627_6942602672125133609_o (resized).jpg120956706_10221242716570627_6942602672125133609_o (resized).jpg
#164 3 years ago
#166 3 years ago

#167 3 years ago

2007, 2012???? wtf seems like you guys were about 30-35 years too late to catch Van Halen

#168 3 years ago

I saw the Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, and 1984 tours. Me and two friends ended up in a Hampton police station after the Fair Warning show, but it wasn’t like what you might think. The deal was that my dad would drop us off at the coliseum and my friend’s dad would pick us up. His dad had car trouble. The three of us hung out at the parking lot for a few hours after the show, and eventually a squad car stopped to check us out. My dad had to drive back out and ‘bailed’ us out. I got back home around 3:00am, but it was totally worth it! Fair Warning was the peak Van Halen for me. RIP Eddie.

#169 3 years ago

Bottoms Up bud! Somebody give me a shot!!
EVH forever!

#170 3 years ago

Who? No Eddy here dude, I think this thread if for Eddie Van Halen

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Who? No Eddy here dude, I think this thread if for Eddie Van Halen

Thanks for the spell check within three minutes of posting.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Thanks for the spell check within three minutes of posting.

Dont mind me - not trying to be a dick. Some of my best concert memories were at Hampton Coliseum but don't think I saw Van Halen there - great venue

#173 3 years ago

The first four records are all excellent, but Women and Children First is my favorite. Especially Romeo Delight, burning hot speed metal that was way ahead of its' time.

RIP Eddie, cancer is wretched.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

[quoted image]

Sorry, but that would break serious bro code, especially since Dobly is still alive. The really funny stuff also had Dolby involved in the hi-jinks, and some of it wasn't totally legal. Much of it was in the vein of the series Californication and the character Atticus Fetch, only 5x as crazy. Dolby put out a book (The Speed of Sound) that has a some stories, but no the incriminating stuff. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-van-halen-thomas-dolby-stories/

#175 3 years ago

I just played Hot for Teacher a couple weeks ago when my 8 year old nephew said he liked his teacher.
RIP Eddie Van Halen

#176 3 years ago

Listening to a bunch of VH the past couple of days. There's just something about the sound of vinyl to me.

20201008_070824 (resized).jpg20201008_070824 (resized).jpg
#177 3 years ago

I saw VH in the early days with the real DLR and then with Sammy and later with the old short haired defeated DLR who rambled on and on about God knows what. I enjoyed the hell out ofall of them but to me VH was DLR with long hair jumping all over the stage. Took my some with me to see the last show they did in Houston and it was special because of that. He loves it.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from midniight:

10 18 07 United centre . For some reason I am unable to upload any more from my tablet .eddie Hung out on the side of the stage during a drum solo . Chain smoking the whole time ...
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was at that show. Was pretty good, I remember I'll Wait, which was dead on and sounded great.

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

The first four records are all excellent, but Women and Children First is my favorite. Especially Romeo Delight, burning hot speed metal that was way ahead of its' time.
RIP Eddie, cancer is wretched.

The only one that was a step down was Diver Down.

1984 is a perfect record, front to back.

#180 3 years ago

Hopefully his son sort of takes up the cause like Zappas kid did and starts going through the vault and putting stuff out.

There is a shit ton of unreleased music since he had his own studio and was always in there recording.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Hopefully his son sort of takes up the cause like Zappas kid did and starts going through the vault and putting stuff out.
There is a shit ton of unreleased music since he had his own studio and was always in there recording.

Oh I have no doubt that kid goes the Zappa route. In fact I fully expect - pandemic allowing - a Music of Van Halen Tour 2022

Wolfie - Bass
Sammy + Dave - vocals
Alex - drums
Guitar - Satriani or Vai or one of those guys
Maybe they'll let mike anthony play/sing on a few songs

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

The only one that was a step down was Diver Down.

I like the A side of Diver Down. Secrets is my favorite "mellow" VH song and excellent driving music.

The goofy stuff on the B side isn't exactly bad, but yeah, it's certainly not what I buy a rock/metal album for.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh I have no doubt that kid goes the Zappa route. In fact I fully expect - pandemic allowing - a Music of Van Halen Tour 2022
Wolfie - Bass
Sammy + Dave - vocals
Alex - drums
Guitar - Satriani or Vai or one of those guys
Maybe they'll let mike anthony play/sing on a few songs

Oh lord I hope not... I have zero interest in hearing anyone but him play those songs.

If I want to see people hack those up I can go on you tube.

This guy cracks me up... he's just jerking around but its pretty funny anyways.

#184 3 years ago

So that’s what it sounds like On a squire !

#185 3 years ago

Feel good clip of the day. End of the video shows how much unreleased shit he kept stored at 5150.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

2007, 2012???? wtf seems like you guys were about 30-35 years too late to catch Van Halen

Didn't have a camera with me back in 78 . Plus all I remember from that show is waiting in line for g.a. and shiny clothes ...

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

I like the A side of Diver Down. Secrets is my favorite "mellow" VH song and excellent driving music.
The goofy stuff on the B side isn't exactly bad, but yeah, it's certainly not what I buy a rock/metal album for.

I just listned to Roth's Eat 'em and Smile, and it's easy to see who put that material in DD. Some tracks on Smile are actually pretty good (Going Crazy, Tobacco Road), but not a lot of VH music on there.

#188 3 years ago

EVH was a huge influence in the early 80s to me. One of the reasons I got my 1st guitar. I never really liked the Sammy stuff. Too poppy for me. I liked the last one they did w/Dave though. Ed is up there with a lot of greats and having one hell of a jam session though. Bonham, Hendrix, Rhoads, Kerslake, etc.

#191 3 years ago

I used to hate gene simmons for a long time because of the aura he put off as this mass merchandiser. He's a completely different person in casual interviews. When he was on the adam carolla podcast, I was hanging on his every word
https://vocaroo.com/1iEg24XDqKbG

#192 3 years ago

Yeah say what you want about Gene, and you’re probably right, but we may have never have got to hear of Van Halen if he didn’t produce their demo. Kind of bittersweet week. We get a couple rock pins and lose a Rock legend

#193 3 years ago

I was able to find these since I had mentioned this earlier... had no idea where they were

As I had said earlier he was super nice to me.... Im sure he could tell I was nervous as hell meeting him.

Only thing that was kind of a drag was there wasnt much room side of stage so I watched most of the show from behind his amps looking at his ass.

Other fun note is that they all hated each other by then so Hagar and Anthony showed up just before show time and left right after in a separate car.....

I saw Hagar walk right by Ed pre-show and not even look at him. lol

IMG_1221 (resized).jpgIMG_1221 (resized).jpg
#194 3 years ago

I know its not good to speak ill of the dead and it sucks that he is gone which means no more Van Halen, the slight hope that they might do one more tour or produce one more record is gone. I mean we go to these show knowing that we wont see what we remember when we were teens but we are still chasing the dragon, one more shot to remember the old glory days, one more show before they hang it up or die. But, the idea that Eddie Van Halen was a saint is, going by everything that I have seen, false. He treated Valerie so badly she was afraid of him and divorced him. He raged at and fired DLR because he dared so a solo album. He ostracized Sammy and treated him so badly before kicking him out that Sammy said he never wanted to see him again and kicked Micheal Anthony out of the band as well. Looks to me like EVH was a giant flying douche bag. That being said, I will miss Van Halen and I do not like to see anyones life cut short because of cancer

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I know its not good to speak ill of the dead and it sucks that he is gone which means no more Van Halen, the slight hope that they might do one more tour or produce one more record is gone. I mean we go to these show knowing that we wont see what we remember when we were teens but we are still chasing the dragon, one more shot to remember the old glory days, one more show before they hang it up or die. But, the idea that Eddie Van Halen was a saint is, going by everything that I have seen, false. He treated Valerie so badly she was afraid of him and divorced him. He raged at and fired DLR because he dared so a solo album. He ostracized Sammy and treated him so badly before kicking him out that Sammy said he never wanted to see him again and kicked Micheal Anthony out of the band as well. Looks to me like EVH was a giant flying douche bag. That being said, I will miss Van Halen and I do not like to see anyones life cut short because of cancer

I haven’t seen a single claim that EVH was a “saint.”

The litany of complaints / fights / character flaws you list is well known and nobody gives a shit. Can you imagine if every spat you ever had in your life was known by the entire world?

Nobody is shedding any tears for DLR he could be as big an asshole as EVH ever could. These people are all “giant flying douchebags” why am I supposed to care about that? Spun VH2 last night and it was fucking awesome. I’m supposed to care that his marriage didn’t work out?

Come on man. I mean you of all people...you been pretty open that your family life hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing all the time. So what?

#196 3 years ago

I dont get that kind of shit... I mean who cares? is there a law you have to be a great person or perfect to be famous or a genius?

Michael Jordan by most accounts is one of the biggest assholes alive but that doesnt take away what he did.

Hes just a person like any other and had tons of issues with addiction etc.

I never said he was a saint, I said he was nice to me. For all of a minute or two, but he didnt have to be and Ill remember that until I croak too.

#197 3 years ago

I dont get that kind of shit... I mean who cares? is there a law you have to be a great person or perfect to be famous or a genius?
Michael Jordan by most accounts is one of the biggest assholes alive but that doesnt take away what he did.
Hes just a person like any other and had tons of issues with addiction etc.
I never said he was a saint, I said he was nice to me. For all of a minute or two, but he didnt have to be and Ill remember that until I croak too.

When he was being nice to you you were supposed to ask him about his failed marriage and quiz him on why he can't get along with any of his egomaniac lead singers. You just sat there soaking in the moment?!?!?!

Shame on you!

Hey if it makes you guys feel any better I one told Jimmy Fallon he's full of shit.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When he was being nice to you you were supposed to ask him about his failed marriage and quiz him on why he can't get along with any of his egomaniac lead singers. You just sat there soaking in the moment?!?!?!
Shame on you!
Hey if it makes you guys feel any better I one told Jimmy Fallon he's full of shit.

Jimmy Fallon may be the phoniest person on the planet... Ive never seen someone who falls over laughing at literally anything any one says.

I cant remember a single thing I said to Ed Van Halen. I do remember he said "Hi Im Ed" and I was like.. um... no shit?

I met Les Paul once too at the iridium in NY and told him it was better then meeting the pope.. that cracked him up so thats was fun.

#199 3 years ago

Jimmy Fallon may be the phoniest person on the planet... Ive never seen someone who falls over laughing at literally anything any one says.
I cant remember a single thing I said to Ed Van Halen. I do remember he said "Hi Im Ed" and I was like.. um... no shit?
I met Les Paul once too at the iridium in NY and told him it was better then meeting the pope.. that cracked him up so thats was fun.

I made the mistake of buying a pick guard for a Les Paul I had at Manny's on a Monday night.

"So going to the Iridium tonight?" I guess they sold a lot of pick guards of Mondays to autograph hounds.

Never going to see him there was a big mistake on my part. I lived 5 blocks away for 10 years and couldn't be bothered?!

Missed opportunity. I could have asked him why his marriage to Mary failed and told him he wasn't a saint. Could have seen a living legend play, too.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never going to see him there was a big mistake on my part. I lived 5 blocks away for 10 years and couldn't be bothered?!
Missed opportunity. I could have asked him why his marriage to Mary failed and told him he wasn't a saint. Could have seen a living legend play, too.

He was entertaining and surprisingly good for a guy playing with two fingers and drooling on himself later on.... he talks allot and makes fun of himself.

But yah he would sit around and sign stuff after every show.. more so in the earlier years early 90s when he was at a place called Fat Tuesdays he would just sit at the bar and you could walk right up to him and shoot the shit.

That happened to me at the bottom line also.. I went to see Alan Holdsworth (speaking of EVH) and he was just standing at the bar before the show having a few beers so I said hi. There was maybe 25 people at that show..

There are 276 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eddie-van-halen-dead-at-65/page/4?hl=vanishingvision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.