View topic image gallery

macgruber (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_4755 (resized).JPG
IMG_4746 (resized).JPG
IMG_4744 (resized).JPG
IMG_4759 (resized).JPG
IMG_4758 (resized).JPG
IMG_4760 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey, hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Total newb when it comes to electrical issues that aren't an obvious fix like a broken wire or damaged component.

I've had this EBD for sometime, but it always booted and played about 95%. I did have an issue with the ball occasionally not kicking into the shooter lane. It might have been associated with a drop target falling on start up as well. It's been almost a year now, so my memory a little foggy.

As it stands now, the game doesn't boot. When I turn it on the GI comes on in the backbox and that's about it. I don't see any lights on any of the boards, but the most obvious is my Alltek MPU. No lights, looks completely dead.

I have had this broken wire since I purchased it. It seems to get hot and weaken. It seems to get brittle. I'm assuming the only correct fix is to repin this giant connector (. I have the kits for all the plugs, but worry about my aptitude. I do have the right tools to repin.

I have a new Power board too. I actually repinned a couple connectors already, but have no clue if I was successful. The pin was not booting prior to me repinning these.

I just want to get this up and running so I can determine if I am repining correctly. Where would you start in order of trying to determine the root cause.

I guess what I'm saying is do I repin the connector with the broken wire first or is that unrelated to no power to Alltek? Thanks.

macgruber (1) (resized).jpgmacgruber (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_4755 (resized).JPGIMG_4755 (resized).JPG
IMG_4744 (resized).JPGIMG_4744 (resized).JPGIMG_4746 (resized).JPGIMG_4746 (resized).JPGIMG_4758 (resized).JPGIMG_4758 (resized).JPGIMG_4759 (resized).JPGIMG_4759 (resized).JPGIMG_4760 (resized).JPGIMG_4760 (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

kinda looks like that connector feeds the "SDB" (solenoid driver board) the SDB feeds the MPU board
test points on the all boards are listed here: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#tp
test the values on the power board first.

Thanks, makes sense. I figure I have to learn how to use a multimeter and test points at some time. Just found this video so hopefully I can test these correctly.

#4 5 years ago

Using my free Harbor Freight multimeter I tested the following on the Power Transformer Module

Tp1 7.5vdc should be 6.5vdc
Tp2 210vdc should be 230vdc
TP3 .01vdc should be 11.9vdc
TP5 43vdc should be 43vdc

Did not test Tp4 or ground

#7 5 years ago

Thank you. I'll have more time this evening and sure to do both.

Can someone steer me to the correct plug replacement. I bought a big daddy kit that seems to have all the connectors except the one that I highlighted with the broken wire. 18 pins in a 24 pin connector?

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the help again. I embarrassed to say it was the fuse and I was too green to even check continuity. It looked good and the dead reading should have triggered some awareness to check continuity. Anyway, I do feel like I learned something (baby steps for me)

I actually had display issues when it did fire up. Somehow I managed to hook up the 6 digit display in the number one spot and it made the other displays a little wonky. Hard to believe it took about 30 minutes of staring at it to notice the wider gap between digits and realize what I had done.

FWIW I do have one final issue that was present back when it was booting like 7 months ago. Game starts up, first ball fires into shooter lane. Ball one plays fine. Ball two - game sounds like it kicks a ball but nothing, one ball drop target drops on its own. Flippers and everything appears normal. Ball will not kick into shooter lane though.

Turn game off, start again. Same scenario. Ball one okay, then no ball into the shooter lane for ball 2?

I do plan on rebuilding all the connectors at some point. The two I did seem to be A-okay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-won-t-boot-no-lights-on-alltek-mpu?tu=Toasterdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.