Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Newbie here. Got EBD recently that was in decent shape. Needed some TLC so replaced all drop targets, rubbers and converted to LED. A few solenoids were weak so also did pop bumper rebuild along with a flipper. I made rookie mistake and wired one bumper coil backwards!!! Replaced diode and cap on driver board and all was well....or so I thought. Somewhere along the line the out hole and left out lane switches quit registering. Looked at schematic and realized that those switches are on same line as bottom bumper (the one I mucked up). Did switch test and bumper switch did register....and crazily the other two switches started working!!! But oddly the game started and had 30 credits which never happened before. Played 3 full games then it blew 5amp fuse. Replaced fuse and everything worked but the out hole and left out lane switches are back non registering. When that game started it had 20 credits. Walked away for a day and now game starts with zero credits like before. Same switches not working. Going to check all of my connections to find what’s causes short. Thought I was really careful after my goof but who knows. I have NVRAM chip coming for U8 replacement so I can get rid of battery. No corrosion noticed but got advice I should do that anyway which makes sense. I know the switches are good since they worked for 15 minutes.

Did I fry my MPU board?

Kinda sounds like it. Will see what happens after NVRAM install. I don’t want to install $200 MPU board and fry that one too.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeVirago:

Did I fry my MPU board?

Welcome to Pinside!

If all you did was wire the lower pop bumper coil backwards then it shouldn't have damaged the MPU board. It probably killed the driver transistor Q2 on the solenoid driver board and the diode on that pop bumper coil. Oh the 1 amp slow blow fuse under the playfield near the flippers probably should have blown too.

Check the white-blue wire from the lower pop bumper switch that goes to two 30 point rebound switches and down to the outhole and left outlane. You might have a break in that daisy chained wire connection at one of those switches.

If you currently don't have a battery to the MPU board or it's flat, that may explain the random credits on power-up.

The 5 amp fuse blowing on the rectifier board is a concern. Make sure on the bottom of the playfield the fuse near the flipper mechs is a 1 amp slow blow and hasn't been overfused in the past.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-switch-issue-and-weird-happenings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.