EBD Sound out occasionally on start up

By Calipindave

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys. I have been resurrecting an EBD for the last month or so and have it up and running. Generally speaking everything works great but I did work through some hacked wires and bad connectors.

Every 10th time or so (randomly) I will power on the machine from off and there will be no sounds whatsoever of any kind. If I turn it off and on again it will generally come back with sound.

All the sounds and speech are crisp clean and loud. As part of the initial resurrection I replaced all the caps on the sound board. The speaker is new. I replaced the sound pot on the front door. All the pins on the headers of all the boards have been re flowed but only a few connectors replaced. I have not been able to confirm if the no sound circumstance can be remedied by wiggling or pulling connectors.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

#2 5 years ago

Also meant to mention that u2 u6 u8 u9 and u11 are all new

Dave

#3 5 years ago

Dirty pots? If you haven't, try cranking the volume controls back an forth a few times to clean them.
Repinning the connectors couldn't hurt either.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Dirty pots? If you haven't, try cranking the volume controls back an forth a few times to clean them.
Repinning the connectors couldn't hurt either.

Thanks Al. All the pots have been replaced (2 on the board and 1 on the door). I will definitely check the connectors next time it comes on silently.

Dave

#5 5 years ago

Take a wire brush (or toothbrush) and brush all the pins. Check for any loose pins or connection wires as well.
You have essentially replaced everything else except the sound chips, so pins are the next logical choice.

#6 5 years ago

Could be the reset circuit is flaky and doesn’t always properly reset. When this happens the cpu won’t run and you get no sounds.

#7 5 years ago

Pinwiki has a section detailing the reset circuit. You can check U1 pin 40 with a logic probe. On power up it should jump from low to high. Repeat the test over and over to ensure you are getting a consistent reset.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Pinwiki has a section detailing the reset circuit. You can check U1 pin 40 with a logic probe. On power up it should jump from low to high. Repeat the test over and over to ensure you are getting a consistent reset.

Thank you. Sounds like a logical idea () since this is an occasionally boot up issue.

Question: everything else works fine just no sound. Is that still a possible reset issue?

Also I don’t have a logic probe. Any other way to test ?

Dave

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Ok... just checked it before leaving and it turns out there is no chip at all in u1, just the socket.

The game generally runs fine without it.... should I get one in there?

It booted up again without sound. I checked connectors and it didn't make a difference. LED on MPU glows faintly after the boot sequence. Game starts up and plays fine just no sounds of any kind.

I booted it again no sound.. started a game and then got speech and target response but no background noises.. put a two player game on and when second player started got all sounds..

Dave

#10 5 years ago

No U1? That’s the processor for the board. Without it you would have no sounds at all.

#11 5 years ago

Not the MPU, U1 on the sound board. Your problem is not on the MPU.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Not the MPU, U1 on the sound board. Your problem is not on the MPU.

Got it. Problem may be u1 on sound board.

Dave

#13 5 years ago

Hold on. You do the reset test earlier mentioned on the sound board using U1. U1 is probably good.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Hold on. You do the reset test earlier mentioned on the sound board using U1. U1 is probably good.

Still have to give that a try. I don’t have a logic probe. Is that something that can be seen with a good mm?

Dave

#15 5 years ago

Yea. Sound board red lead on pin40 of U 1 black lead on ground. You should see a voltage spike when you power up. Keep repeating a bunch of times to see if it’s consistent. The reset goes very low voltage for an instant then should stay about 5 volts.

#16 5 years ago

Ok checked with the DMM. Btw pin 40 goes to TP 12 so it made it easier.

I’m not sure what I am seeing. Almost ever time it booted I could see oL and a low reading (like .134) before settling in each time between 5.15 and 5.2.

One time it booted with no sound I saw the oL and no other reading and then 5.13.

It never spiked above 5.2 VDC that I could tell.

Dave

#17 5 years ago

Those readings make sense. When it booted with no sound it looks like it didn’t go low or no reset. Pinwiki lists all the components in the reset circuit. Check those and especially the big cap, I think it’s C1.

#18 5 years ago

Also watch led on the sound board when you power on. Are getting 5 flashes every time? Even when you boot and don’t have sound?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Also watch led on the sound board when you power on. Are getting 5 flashes every time? Even when you boot and don’t have sound?

I powered it on and off about ten times in a row. All came on with sound and each with 5 flashes. I couldn’t watch the voltage at the same time.

When you refer to the reset circuit are you talking about the MPU board?

All the caps on the sound board were replaced as well as the two big ones on the SDB.

Dave

#20 5 years ago

The reset circuit on the sound board. Go to pinwiki and look at Squawk &talk troubleshooting.

#21 5 years ago

From pinwiki: Make sure that the reset on the CPU chip starts low briefly and then goes high. With a logic probe, check pin 40 of U1. If the reset does not go high, suspect C1 (47uF 25v), CR1 (1N4148), R1 (27K 1/4w), U15 (74LS14), or possibly U17 (74LS155).

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

From pinwiki: Make sure that the reset on the CPU chip starts low briefly and then goes high. With a logic probe, check pin 40 of U1. If the reset does not go high, suspect C1 (47uF 25v), CR1 (1N4148), R1 (27K 1/4w), U15 (74LS14), or possibly U17 (74LS155).

Perfect.

I will check that out.

Dave

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Latest update:

C1 is new from previous work. R1 measures 25K or so... seems in spec. I replaced CR1...

It seems though that the "reset" advice from pinwiki is about the LED being stuck on. Whether or not the sound comes on, the LED never stays lit so we are getting deeper into the boot sequence...

One time on bootup last night, I thought I only got 4 flashes (I was trying to watch the LED and the MM at the same time so I am not 100% sure) which would indicate problems with the speech chip at u8.

I pulled u8 and it was severely tarnished so I cleaned it up..

So far after about 15 cycles sound has been coming on without issue..

We'll see.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-sound-out-occasionally-on-start-up-?hl=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.