Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cody_chunn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4A39BBC7-B52B-480F-B50B-7A191455E5DC (resized).jpeg
8D4C23EC-9AEC-4BCA-B50A-07C53F5F3460 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

About to start building up my 1984 to 1981 EBD conversion.

I have one question that is looming in my mind that I would like to get some input on.

The 1981 version has all individual sockets with no diodes.
8D4C23EC-9AEC-4BCA-B50A-07C53F5F3460 (resized).jpeg

The 1984 version has the lamp boards which is great but I noticed the sockets for the controlled lamps also have diodes.

4A39BBC7-B52B-480F-B50B-7A191455E5DC (resized).jpeg

Knowing both use the same board set in the head without issue it is where I get a little confused.

Here is my question.
Are these diodes required on all controlled lights as a result of or if using the lamp boards ?

Can I leave them off the new sockets I will install?

#2 2 years ago

None of the x’s and o’s electronic type guys have any input on this ?

#3 2 years ago

I’ve always thought all controled lamps had diodes. Not sure but can you please document the hell out of this project because I’m in the same shoes. Have an 84 that I want to convert to a 81.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I’ve always thought all controled lamps had diodes. Not sure but can you please document the hell out of this project because I’m in the same shoes. Have an 84 that I want to convert to a 81.

I have all three versions here and have done quite a few 81s
Only the 84 with the lamp boards has the diodes on the controlled lamps.

This is what is perplexing. It is the only one with lamp boards.

I am going to replace all the sockets so it makes me wonder if I need to add diodes to them to utilize the lamp boards without issue or if the diodes are just there because it is a newer game with updated lamp sockets and has no real impact.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I’ve always thought all controled lamps had diodes

As far as I knew only Williams games need them because they have a lamp matrix, and bally/stern/gottlieb never needed them, so curious why this one does have them...

They won't seem to be shown in the schematics?

#6 2 years ago

Add to this that there are no diodes on the lamp boards themselves.

#7 2 years ago

Okay, this one peaked my curiosity because I have never noticed it before. So after pouring over pics of my '84 EBD and a Black Pyramid I used to own(it used light boards too) I see NO lamp sockets with diodes. Weird. Maybe a test model?

Shawn

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I have all three versions here and have done quite a few 81s
Only the 84 with the lamp boards has the diodes on the controlled lamps.
This is what is perplexing. It is the only one with lamp boards.
I am going to replace all the sockets so it makes me wonder if I need to add diodes to them to utilize the lamp boards without issue or if the diodes are just there because it is a newer game with updated lamp sockets and has no real impact.

Chris, some of the '82 LE games had lamp boards, too. Not sure when in the run they made the change, but I have seen a couple of them come through my hands. I don't recall any diodes on the controlled lamps on either one of those '82 games. They may have been there, I just don't recall them.

As far as those lamps with the diodes, I believe they would all run through the auxiliary lamp board-A9 with the controlled GI, while the lamps that use the playfield lamp boards run through the lamp driver board-A5. Not sure what problem Bally would be trying to solve with those diodes, might have to think on that one a bit. That A9 board did have a lot of problems with burnt connectors and header pins. Also, those playfield lamp boards simply replace the sockets and have no other functionality, besides being really convenient. Real similar to KISS in that respect.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Okay, this one peaked my curiosity because I have never noticed it before. So after pouring over pics of my '84 EBD and a Black Pyramid I used to own(it used light boards too) I see NO lamp sockets with diodes. Weird. Maybe a test model?
Shawn

My '84 has those diodes, too. Maybe a mid-run change?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Chris, some of the '82 LE games had lamp boards, too. Not sure when in the run they made the change, but I have seen a couple of them come through my hands. I don't recall any diodes on the controlled lamps on either one of those '82 games. They may have been there, I just don't recall them.
As far as those lamps with the diodes, I believe they would all run through the auxiliary lamp board-A9 with the controlled GI, while the lamps that use the playfield lamp boards run through the lamp driver board-A5. Not sure what problem Bally would be trying to solve with those diodes, might have to think on that one a bit. That A9 board did have a lot of problems with burnt connectors and header pins. Also, those playfield lamp boards simply replace the sockets and have no other functionality, besides being really convenient. Real similar to KISS in that respect.

Thanks Brian
Given that info.
I checked some pictures in my gallery of a much older conversion I did probably ten years ago with the lamp boards and see no diodes so I am going to guess they will be optional.
I am running Alltek boards and LEDs in this one so that may make things better or worse.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album386/53_G?full=1

#11 2 years ago

Diodes on the lamp sockets were used on Bally games that had dual phase feature lamps. They were rare in the Bally-35 architecture - Gold Ball was one game that had them. This became standard in the 6803 games. It was essentially a simple, cheap and clever way of being able to double the amount of feature lamps the platform could have.

I'd say your '84 EBD has leftover sockets intended for dual phase games. The only effect those diodes will have on your game is the lamps may be slightly dimmer since they have a voltage drop around 0.6 volts. The playfield lamp boards with the black twist socketed lamps don't have diodes right?

Since EBD is a single phase feature lamp game, those diodes on the lamp sockets are not needed.

#12 2 years ago

I was gonna say the diodes are only needed in games with lamp matrices for isolation from the other lamps on the row or column. Bally used 1 SCR per Lamp so no isolation diode would be needed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 90.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside