(Topic ID: 234799)

EBD - Keeps awarding credits

By DesertPinhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertpinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I LOVE EBD (Eight Ball Deluxe) - my fave game since I was a kid. Lately, when I shut it off for more than a few minutes, it shows 25 credits when I turn it back on. Then, when I start playing it, the game awards a credit on the first ball when the ball rolls through either the A or B lane at the top of the game. Any suggestions on what's gone haywire?

#3 5 years ago

Good thought! Thank you. But that wouldn't explain why 25 credits appear after the game's been off for a little while.

#5 5 years ago

Yes. I can knock it down to 21 credits by starting four players. Then I shut it down...wait....power it up and I have 25 credits.

#7 5 years ago

Update. Now the game isn't powering up. MPU LED flashes twice, then nothing.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Do you have a battery on the MPU or NVRAM? I would go to NVRAM if you have not already. This seems like the start of an issue around the battery and U8.

I have a battery holder attached to the floor of the backbox with leads running to the MPU. I made that mod several years ago and it's worked great since 2008.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Look at the 5101 U8 I think. Garbage in there. Go into test mode and clear all your audits. But if you only have two flashes it’s probably bad or it’s socket. Any corrosion on the board?

Board is clean - no corrosion. I moved the battery off the board when I rebuilt the machine more than a dozen years ago. When you say "it's probably bad or it's socket," can you expand on that, please?

#13 5 years ago

I pulled the U8 chip, straightened the pins, and replaced it. Still no love. You said, "Time to swap old 5101's for some nice new NVram." What does that mean and where do I order the parts? Thanks, slochar!

#15 5 years ago

OK, I've been researching 5101 NVRAM. It looks like there are a couple folks who sell an adapter gizmo that plugs into U8. Looks like I'm looking at about $20. Am I on the right track?

#17 5 years ago

Hey, everyone, thanks for your advice and support. Wayne Eggert at Pinitech.com set me up with a 5101 NVRAM replacement chip and it works great. It arrived yesterday and I installed it while i was home for lunch...and I was late getting back to the office. EBD lives again! My boys and I are so pleased that we decided not to put the game back together right away. We're going to shop it on Saturday afternoon. Parts will be here later today.

I've been a pinball nut since I as a tyke. I'm 57 now. This hobby wouldn't be near as much fun without the Internet and people like you willing to help out your brother pinheads. I'm proud to be a member of this fraternity.

Next up for repair and shop service...Six Million Dollar Man! There's a tech issue with that game, too, so you'll be hearing from me. This is going to be an important repair because my older son wants this game in his apartment at college next fall.

Thanks again!

Bruce
Scottsdale, AZ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertpinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-keeps-awarding-credits?tu=desertpinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.