Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Calipindave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BF1D99C5-4599-49A3-A690-8421A49C4F84 (resized).jpeg
729E8880-7737-4C12-B78A-2D36793F64C3 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

Hey guys, you ever watch TV shows where they restore a car in a week? they are about the start the engine for the first time...cue tense music... and nothing happens.... Kinda what happened here with my first go at firing up the EBD. I have been working this project game for a little while and finally reached that moment.

GI lights work... I guess that's pretty much it..... MPU green light comes on and stays on. S&T board green led flashes 3 times and then twice. Nothing else.. a little hum from the speaker on initial start up.

Before plugging anything in to the rectifier board I fired it up and tested voltages... all were more or less in spec.

Next was all connectors minus JI and J3..

Readings were:

TP1 8.06 VDC
TP2 182.8 VDC
TP3 14.4 VDC
TP4 7.24 VAC
TP5 45.8 VDC

With all connectors on

TP1 7.88 VDC
TP2 253.3 VDC (Wow? I checked it several times)
TP3 16.03 VDC
TP4 6.99 VAC
TP5 45.4 VDC

I replaced a few connectors and I am confident in that work. Headers all look good...but who knows..

I did check C23 as suggested by the guide and found .23 VAC

There is some problem out at the coin door...GI lights are on ( bit dim) and the connector started to smoke (solved - one gi light leg was shorting to ground on the door)

OK fellow pinheads. I am confident that you will all be able to guide me down the right path here. I am looking forward to getting it fired up completely, but I know I have some work to do.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

#2 7 months ago

MPU board looks generally decent with no sign of corrosion. There are a couple of tiny jumper wires but looks reasonably well done.

There are no chips in sockets u1 , u9, and u11. The guide says that you will get always on led if ANY of the sockets for chips U6, U9, U11 are bad..... it would seem missing chips in u9 and u11 would be read as “bad”

Am I missing something? ...like three chips ?

Dave

729E8880-7737-4C12-B78A-2D36793F64C3 (resized).jpeg
#3 7 months ago

U9 is the 6800 CPU. It runs the whole show, so it's gotta be there.

U1/U2 contain game code and depends on what chipset you're using whether or not they are populated. The chipset also determines what jumpers get installed.

Probably should stop by pinwiki.com and see if there's help there.

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from Calipindave:

it would seem missing chips in u9 and u11 would be read as “bad”

Yeah as cody_chunn said, no 6800 CPU chip at U9 and the MPU board is effectively brain dead. You also need a 6821 chip at U11 too. Eight Ball Deluxe doesn't use any ROM chips at U1 so that socket being empty is fine.

You have the correct ROM at U6, but I can't tell with the EPROM at U2. Is there any hand written markings on the label of that chip in U2?

You're very lucky that MPU board has no battery corrosion to deal with

#5 7 months ago

Thanks Cody and quench.

Glad to know that u1 can stay vacant. Yes the board is clean. I do have to decide on a battery replacement option.

Quench. Here is a picture of the chip at u2. I don’t see anything handwritten but it’s clearly an original chip so I guess that’s good news.

I have to track down a cpu for u9 and a pia for u11.

Does anyone have any leads?

Dave

BF1D99C5-4599-49A3-A690-8421A49C4F84 (resized).jpeg
#6 6 months ago
Quoted from Calipindave:

Here is a picture of the chip at u2. I don’t see anything handwritten but it’s clearly an original chip so I guess that’s good news.

That ROM label is dated 1982.
Which Eight Ball Deluxe do you have?
Bally original 1981
Bally Limited Edition 1982
Bally/Midway 1984

Quoted from Calipindave:

I have to track down a cpu for u9 and a pia for u11.

Does anyone have any leads?

Sorry I don't live in the US so someone else will have to chime in for your best local options.

#7 6 months ago

You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but the only place that i frequent where i could find both chips is Marco Specialties.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6800

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6821

#8 6 months ago

Thanks guys.

Quench it is an early production EBD. I’m going to guess the roms and maybe entire board came from another game at some point.

Dave

#9 6 months ago

Power numbers look good. Nothing is going to happen until you get replacement U9 and U11 chips. I would start there. If you can get the board up and booted look into replacing U8 with an NVRAM.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Power numbers look good. Nothing is going to happen until you get replacement U9 and U11 chips. I would start there. If you can get the board up and booted look into replacing U8 with an NVRAM.

Thanks for the feedback Al... Glad you think the power numbers look good. I have ordered u9 and u11 along with new u2 and u6 while I am at it.

Once they are in, we can see where things stand.

Dave

#11 6 months ago

Be careful with the RAM chip. It is VERY susceptible to static discharge damage.

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Be careful with the RAM chip. It is VERY susceptible to static discharge damage.

Thank you Cody. Is that the u8?

Dave

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside