• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a goofy one! two issues:

1. No feature lights work. No idea where to start with this one.

2. Three coils do not fire. The 4 bank drops reset, the upper saucer, and the outhole kicker.

Details of the game:

Alltek MPU. These issues are present with the Alltek or the original MPU.

J1 of MPU was repinned. I checked his work and it looks good.

Here is what I have found:

The feature lights never come on, not during attract, in game, or test.

The coil issue is weird though. The coils in question are #s 16,17, and 18. When the game is in solenoid test and it gets to the top two drops of the right bank, it will fire both solenoids. Then when it gets to 16, 17, and 18, it will drop both of those drops, reset the bank, then drop them again. The other coils that are supposed to fire do not.

If I start a game and put a ball in the top saucer, it awards points, then resets the 7 bank drop targets, and then does not kick the ball out.

If I start a game and drain a ball, it awards bonus, then drops the top two drops in the 7 bank, then never kicks the ball out.

I have tried unplugging the large drop bank from under the playfield. The 3 coils in question do not fire when I do that. I disconnected all three coils in question and reconnected them one by one and ran the coil test in between. No joy.

So, my thought now is the SDB. I plan to bring a spare working on next time, but I have never seen anything like this. Any ideas? Apparently those top drops use a relay to tell the game to drop one or the other and they both share one transistor? is that right?

Could that solenoid expander board be bad and need replaced?

Thanks for the help!

#2 3 years ago

The solenoid expander board needs feature lamp voltage to work.

Check your voltages coming off the power supply in the cab.

#3 3 years ago

Will do. So if the feature lamps aren’t getting power, then the expander board isn’t working right, and could cause the goofy solenoid behavior?

#4 3 years ago

Yep

#5 3 years ago

Okay cool. So sounds like I’ll need to concentrate there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 179.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-feature-lights-and-coil-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.