• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210502_184851 (resized).jpg
20210503_135736 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have a display (player 4 in the pics) on my EBD with the same segment (f) out on all the digits. I replaced Q18 per pinwiki which didn't fix it, so I also replaced the decoder IC and still no change. Any suggestions on what to look at next?

20210502_184851 (resized).jpg20210502_184851 (resized).jpg20210503_135736 (resized).jpg20210503_135736 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Check connections between U1 pin 15 and Q18. Also check R23, R24, and R28 to make sure none have opened up. If you have the schematics go thru the whole circuit to make sure there isn't a broken trace somewhere. Hope this helps.

#3 2 years ago

Probably a bad resistor or solder connection to the panel. Check the resistors in the segment drive with a meter and resolder the glass panel connections.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks! I will check the resistors out and report back, hopefully that is it!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

Check connections between U1 pin 15 and Q18. Also check R23, R24, and R28 to make sure none have opened up. If you have the schematics go thru the whole circuit to make sure there isn't a broken trace somewhere. Hope this helps.

There is continuity between U1 and Q18, and all these resistors test fine.

Quoted from BigAl56:

Probably a bad resistor or solder connection to the panel. Check the resistors in the segment drive with a meter and resolder the glass panel connections.

I reflowed the solder on the glass connections with no change either.

Is there anything else I should be looking at on this? If I swap displays it works fine, so I know the issue is on the display itself somewhere...

#6 2 years ago

If every component in the segment drive has been replaced or tested the only conclusion is its a failure in the panel. As a last resort you can try shorting the bad segment to a good one and it should light with the good segment. If it doesn't, no other conclusion than bad segment.

#7 2 years ago

That is pretty much where I am at ha. I am just going to replace it with a Wolfpac display and call it a day.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

That is pretty much where I am at ha. I am just going to replace it with a Wolfpac display and call it a day.

I think you will have to replace all of the displays, if I'm not mistaken. Not just the one display.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I think you will have to replace all of the displays, if I'm not mistaken. Not just the one display.

I don't think that is the case with these based on what all I have read about them (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolffpac-6-digit-display-kit-review), but I have never used one before, so hopefully it works out.

#10 2 years ago

You can mix the wolffpac displays with the gas discharge displays, no problem. I recently built a set of their 7-digit displays and they work nicely. I kept the 6 digit credit/match display since it was working fine, and they all get along just fine.

#11 2 years ago

I thought I read on his website that you had to. Something with high voltages on the old displays with the low voltages on the new displays. must be mistaken!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I thought I read on his website that you had to. Something with high voltages on the old displays with the low voltages on the new displays. must be mistaken!

I believe that is the case for the early Williams machines but not with the Bally/Stern displays.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

While the new Wolfpack displays do not require HV the legacy displays do. It will not harm the Wolfpacks to have HV present at the connector. They do not have any connection to the HV pin making the connection moot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-display-same-segment-out-on-all-digits- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.