View topic image gallery

MPU_DIPSWs(a1).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
EBD_DIPSW_BallsPerGame.gif
Alltek_EBD.png
Weebly_EBD.png
Screenshot (1) (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

EBD Blows the F3 fuse as soon as it is powered up. I unplugged all the connectors to the rectifier, MPU and the solenoid board. Then I did as follows:
1) Plugged in rectifier J2 only, fuse survives.
2) Plugged in rectifier J3 and J2, fuse survives.
3) Plugged in rectifier J3 and J2, and J3 on the solenoid board, fuse survives.
4) Plugged in rectifier J1 through J5, J3 and J4 on the solenoid board, fuse survives.
5) Plugged in rectifier J1 through J5, J3 and J4 on the solenoid board, plugged in J6 on rectifier board, fuse blows.

J6 says "Transformer"

Thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

Swapped my Embryon rectifier board into EBD, fuses don't blow anymore, game will start BUT now I have other issues......

Game won't load ball into trough, slingshots don't work, jet bumpers nothing, drop targets don't reload.

Solenoid board and rectifier board rebuild?

#3 4 years ago

I recommend putting the rectifier board back in the other machine and concentrating on the original issue. The F3 fuse may be blowing due to a bad diode at locations CR5,Cr6,Cr7 and CR8. Test these diodes. The fuse F3 sole purpose is to protect the transformer from bad components.

#4 4 years ago

To explain further. The diodes mentioned above rectify 14 volts AC voltage from the transformer into 12 Dc voltage that goes to the solenoid driver board and is the regulated down to 5 volts to be used for the MPU board and others. You have said that the game boots up with the rectifier board out of Embryon, so that leads me to believe that the original problem lies within the EBD rectifier board.

#5 4 years ago

I am pretty sure that one of the rectifiers on the board is bad.

#6 4 years ago

However, I still have no solenoids firing. Game will keep score, but no solenoids except flippers......

#7 4 years ago

You could take one of the diodes out of the rectifier board from Empryon to replace the suspected bad diode. Then you would know for sure.

#8 4 years ago

If I were you I would try to get the EBD rectifier board working properly and go from there. Solve one problem at a time.

Quoted from R8f1k:

However, I still have no solenoids firing. Game will keep score, but no solenoids except flippers......

#9 4 years ago

I am leaning towards one of the rectifiers being bad. The Embryon board is newly rebuilt and F3 is driven by one of the rectifiers. It also looks like some bad soldering done on the board. I also have attract mode which I did not have with the the EBD board. I am going to put all new parts on the rectifier board just to ensure that it is all set.

#10 4 years ago

Ok. touch up any questionable solder points. A shotgun approach is not necessary. The issue is the 12 volt circuit. 1 fuse and 4 diodes.

#11 4 years ago
Screenshot (1) (resized).pngScreenshot (1) (resized).png
#12 4 years ago

Got it, now what about having no solenoids function?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Got it, now what about having no solenoids function?

Your underplayfield solenoid fuse is blown. That your flippers work and your solenoids don't is the classic symptom of that because the flippers don't actually go through that fuse but all the other ones do. Your knocker probably works as well, and so does your coin lockout, so you know your solenoid voltage is good.

Time to rebuild your rectifier board.

#14 4 years ago

Bad fuse holder. Cracked in half. Installed new one, still no solenoids. However on coil test mode, all of the solenoids work except 16-25. Now what?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

However on coil test mode, all of the solenoids work except 16-25.

16-25??
Eight Ball Deluxe only goes to 20 in solenoid test mode.
Are you running an aftermarket MPU board set to the wrong game?

#16 4 years ago

EDB aftermarket MPU, runs through 25 coils. Set to the right game.

#17 4 years ago

Out hole does not work, ball trough does not work, single stand up does not work, some of the drop targets in the large bank fire repeatedly upon start up.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

EDB aftermarket MPU, runs through 25 coils. Set to the right game.

What MPU board have you got?
And how do you have the game selection switches set?

The aftermarket boards use the factory based ROM that only activates 20 coils in solenoid test mode. Unless you have a special modified ROM that supports an extra 5 solenoids then the game setting is wrong...

#19 4 years ago

NVRAM.WEEBLY.COM October 2019 Rev. 16

MPU-200

Game settings

123 off
4567 on
8 off

#20 4 years ago

Side note, I do have 7 digit displays and my settings on the red 4 switch bank are

All Off/Out = Bally & MPU100
All on/in = MPU200 (All off 1-4, down position)

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Game settings

123 off
4567 on
8 off

I don't know where you got those game settings from but they don't match either of the EBD settings in the nvram.weebly.com manual.

Weebly_EBD.pngWeebly_EBD.png

#22 4 years ago

WORKS!!!!!!

#23 4 years ago

I can't remember where I got those settings, but they are clearly not right!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

I can't remember where I got those settings, but they are clearly not right!

Seems like you accidentally looked up the Alltek manual.

Alltek_EBD.pngAlltek_EBD.png

#25 4 years ago

Probably......

#26 4 years ago

Any reason why I would get only 2 balls during game play? Never 3.......or 5

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Any reason why I would get only 2 balls during game play? Never 3.......or 5

Balls per game are set by dip switches 31 and 32 on the MPU board:

Note when you power up the game and it enters attract mode, the game welcomes you by saying "Eight Ball Deluxe, x Ball", where x is the number of balls set per game.

EBD_DIPSW_BallsPerGame.gifEBD_DIPSW_BallsPerGame.gif

#28 4 years ago

Still gives me 2 ball.....hmmmmmm

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Still gives me 2 ball.....hmmmmmm

Did you power off then back on after changing the switches? They're only read once during powerup - i.e. switch changes don't take effect until you reboot the machine.

#30 4 years ago

Turned machine off, changed switches, powered back up. No change

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Turned machine off, changed switches, powered back up. No change

Post a picture of all 32 dip switch settings.

#32 4 years ago

/var/folders/q1/ch0f35xs3sv0dbw27dxmvy6w0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/60417046818__C13087B0-29F4-49A7-8B54-E5A655FF1777.jpeg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#33 4 years ago

Dips 31 and 32 are on. Turn them both off for 3 balls per game.

#34 4 years ago

DIP switches 31 and 32 are the very top two switches. They're still set on 2 balls/game.

MPU_DIPSWs(a1).jpgMPU_DIPSWs(a1).jpg

#35 4 years ago

Did the setting change solve your problem?

#36 4 years ago

That did it! Sorry, I have an orchard and we are doing spring pruning.

#37 4 years ago

Any insight into what settings for EBD is best for experienced players?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Any insight into what settings for EBD is best for experienced players?

The Eight Ball Deluxe manual has "recommended settings" for both 3 ball and 5 ball games. Don't forget to adjust the software settings.
Take some time to go through the manual to understand the options so you can tune game play however you want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-blows-f3-fuse-right-away?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.