(Topic ID: 298748)

EBD 43V at TP3 (should be 11.9V) - transformer issue?!

By m4tt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2021-08-18 13.23.36 (resized).jpg
EBD power (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from m4tt:

found that TP3 on the rectifier board was reading 15.9V when it should be 11.9V.

This occurrence is normal.
11.9V is the spec unloaded voltage when the solenoid driver board is *not* connected. When the solenoid driver board is connected, its capacitor at C23 stores energy on that supply rail and brings up the voltage.

Quoted from m4tt:

I checked the voltages again and found 48V at TP3

Quoted from m4tt:

I checked the test points... and got 45V at TP3

Your multi-meter is giving a false reading from noise it's picking up. You need a load on that supply rail to measure it properly. Hook up a 12V lamp across that test-point to ground and remeasure it.
Also check that the ground prong on your power cable has zero ohms continuity to ground in the machine and to the GND test-point on the rectifier board.

Your question has come up before:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-54-rectifier-boardtest-point-voltages-too-hot
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-transformer-wiring
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-54-rectifier-board-12-volt-problem#post-4991448

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from m4tt:

Why do I get normal readings from the board in one machine but this noisy reading from the *same* board when it's in a different machine?

What's the chance the noise is from the ballast running the flouro tube in the backbox? If you disconnect it does it make a difference?

Quoted from m4tt:

So now I feel like I'm never going to fully trust a DMM. Can you explain why this particular test point does this?

I haven't personally seen it (maybe because my Fluke multi-meter gives a correct reading). It seems to affect some multi-meters and not others.
An oscilloscope would probably help to see what's being picked up.

Quoted from m4tt:

Where else might I come across this type of thing in a pinball?

People often get a low reading on TP2 of around 160V, caused by the resistor at R3 on the rectifier board which was probably put there to limit current draw from the analog multi-meters used back in the day.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from m4tt:

So you're thinking it's possibly a really quick high voltage spike, perhaps jumping up even higher than 50V but just for a short amount of time?

Was thinking along the lines of EMI. Can depend on how wires are running in the transformers power looms, etc. In combination with the input capacitance of that multi-meter that's giving you the false high voltage reading with no load. Try the 100k resistor as Tuukka suggested to see if it negates it.

Anyway with the circuit loaded and your other meter giving readings in range, I'm not sure there's much point trying to "fix" this as it won't be the cause of your original boot issue.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Also, make sure you get a pic of the battery compartment to make sure it is clean.

Indeed. I have a cabinet with 40 or so analog multi-meters I had to move recently only to discover my dad left batteries in all of them 10-15 years ago. Oh dear..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebd-43v-at-tp3-should-be-119v-transformer-issue?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.