7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg

#1 7 years ago

eBay has changed the user agreement again.

I have not read the entire agreement, but I read enough to make me realize that I will not be selling items on eBay anymore.

Seller's are going to be getting an even shorter end of the short stick.

Marcus

#2 7 years ago

What about it has you upset?

Arbitration? Isn't that potentially better than just having eBay always side with the buyer?

ebay.com link

#3 7 years ago

I too would like to know what's so upsetting. As a seller, and over the past 12+ years a pretty active seller, I have to say I've only a handful of cases that I felt eBay/PayPal slighted me, and just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I don't see why they do what they do.

#4 7 years ago

I seem to recall reading an email stating that 4/16 they are going to a flat final value fee of 10% on auction and fixed priced listings.

#5 7 years ago

Here are some of the few tidbits that I do not like:

#1. eBay may withdraw money from your Paypal Account to fund a reimbursement. If I do not want to allow eBay the right to do this, I must jump through some minor hoops to opt out.

#2. eBay has set their own liability to either $100, fees collected over 12 months or amounts due based on the Buyer protection plan.

#3. If you raise a claim against any eBay User, you waive the right to hold eBay accountable under the law.

#4. You are forced to arbitrate and give up your legal right to a civil lawsuit. In order to "opt out", you must send a physical letter to eBay within 30 days of the first getting the user agreement.

#5. You must agree to use Utah as the governing state for any arbitration claim.

#6. If you opt out, you must agree to handle all court proceedings, both federal and state, in Salt Lake County, Utah.

Now these "agreements" might be okay with some users, but they are not okay with me.

I do not live in Utah. eBay does not send my eBay payments and invoices to Utah. I am not going to be bound by an agreement that says I must handle all court proceedings in Utah.

I realize I can jump through some hoops to protect myself, but I do not need eBay. eBay is no longer the only way I can buy and sell things online.

I'll vote with my dollar and use other online options.

Marcus

#6 7 years ago

Can you explain how any of these "new" rules change things for you personally, as opposed to the prior rules?

I don't see anything that wasn't there in some form or another already. In fact from what i have read, for the first time since I have been on eBay, the changes actually skew towards the interests of the seller. And fees went down. So please, tell me what I am missing...

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

Can you explain how any of these "new" rules change things for you personally, as opposed to the prior rules?
    I don't see anything that wasn't there in some form or another already. In fact from what i have read, for the first time since I have been on eBay, the changes actually skew towards the interests of the seller. And fees went down. So please, tell me what I am missing...

Maybe these have been the rules all along, and I just now cared enough to read the user agreement, but for me, the biggest complaint is eBay enforcing an agreement that attempts to prevent me from using the legal system if I so desired. If I "opt" out of this agreement, eBay has added additional obstacles that make it quite difficult for smaller claims outside of Utah from reaching a courthouse.

This same agreement then tries to force upon me a particular jurisdiction rather than allowing me to pursue legal recourse in my own state.

Since I live in Texas, rather than Utah, an unfair burden is placed upon me to exercise my legal recourse available under the laws of the United States should I ever have a dispute with eBay.

eBay, along with Paypal, have a history of siding with the buyer unless the seller can provide "acceptable" proof as dictated by eBay and/or Paypal. Even if the seller has emails, letters and pictures, the lack of "acceptable" proof is reason enough to side with the seller. Now, a seller can learn from the mistakes of others and make changes to protect himself. It still doesn't change my perception that eBay is more "buyer" friendly than "seller" friendly.

When I consider this history, and I read the user agreement, I am a bit worried about MY rights should I ever have a dispute with eBay. And since I do not have a department of lawyers ready to tackle the problem on my behalf, I'm going to be limited by the wording in the user agreement.

I'd rather take preventative measures, such as not using eBay, than have to deal with unforeseen legal hassles in the future.

Marcus

#8 7 years ago

I think ebay is being forced to change these rules because of the idiots that buy on ebay and try to scam free money. It's unfortunate, but necessary. If you don't agree with the rules, just don't use them, that simple. I rarely use ebay these days, unless I get no traction locally with craigslist.

Oh the good old days of ebay, when you could actually pay with money orders and not get double charged with paypal.

#9 7 years ago

It's eBay, you win some you lose some. Your finding stuff on eBay that your normally would never find, and you selling stuff you normally would never be able to. And court? Really? Come on man, what are you possibly going to take to court? eBay is almost always "fair" and I am sure there are horror stories out there, I've been screwed too. Nothing that is going to make me go to court though. It's pretty simple, try not using eBay for good. I doubt that happens.

If you abide by all the rules and regs eBay asks, you will almost never get screwed over. It's generally people's laziness to either know or abide by the regs that make them feel like the system isn't fair. Kinda like our government.

#10 7 years ago

I only list stuff that I don't mind "loosing" if the deal goes south using PayPal. Larger and more expensive items are cash only pick up. So far this has worked for me.

#11 7 years ago

Losing...darn it.

#12 7 years ago

Ebay has allowed me to sell thousands and thousands of dollars of "stuff" that I have had sitting around my house collecting dust. I am not a business so I have not been keeping track, but I am certainly glad I have been able to turn "crap I don't use" into IM, LoTR, WPT, plus thousands in the bank.

Yeah, fees suck. Having to move money into a Canadian bank, then exchange BACK into US dollars to fund a US Dollar cash purchase sucks (wee for another 6-8% gone ) but would I rather have my boxes of "collectable junk" back? Nope.

It has been nice to hold a living estate sale for the last few years. I had enough stuff that I had been dragging around for decades in some cases. What was I going to do with it all? Throw it away? Keep it until I die or am moved into a retirement home? Selling it on ebay and turning it into new toys seems like the right plan.

I actually like the new ebay seller store options. Previously if you opened an ebay seller store you essentially opted out of the 50 free listings every month. Now I believe you get 150 "free" listings for the lowest seller acount (which admittedly costs money, $15 a month when I had this).

They have finally realized that putting barriers to selling products on their site is mind blowingly stupid, and encouraging sellers to list items for sale results in more sales, which results in more fees on items and paypal. Took them long enough.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonpin:

Losing...darn it.

I thought since Stern repeatedly refused to "fix" the "You ooze, you loose" typo on Spiderman that it was officially okay, if not proper, to spell lose as loose

I know I do it from time to time just to think about Spiderman... and put a smile on my face.

#14 7 years ago

All those "tidbits" are standard. Read any agreement you sign and it will have something in there about arbitration and which state's court system you will use.

#15 7 years ago

the thing that really sucks is the 10% fees. Fees on selling a $1500 pin are going from $72.50 + paypal to $150 + paypal. Outrageous.

#16 7 years ago

ebays at 9% now as we speak,, So 1500 is (9%)135 plus 3% to paypal. Ebay is not at 5% selling fees sorry.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

ebays at 9% now as we speak,, So 1500 is (9%)135 plus 3% to paypal. Ebay is not at 5% selling fees sorry.

Sorry, I should have specified. I meant with 'Buy it Now' fixed priced sales. Fees are currently lower with buy it now compared to traditional auction style listings.

#18 7 years ago

The real thing that sucks is that they get 9% of the shipping price , Now that is BS, why they should have anything to do with the shipping of the item and get payed for it.

#19 7 years ago

I got hosed on my last eBay sale where the buyer reported he never received the item and my post office receipt wasn't acceptable proof of shipment so no more eBay for me.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

The real thing that sucks is that they get 9% of the shipping price , Now that is BS, why they should have anything to do with the shipping of the item and get payed for it.

they didn't used to... but too many people gamed the system... as a result, we all pay for their sins...

ebay is running a business, not a charity...

#21 7 years ago

Yeah, "Buy this widget for $.01, $19.99 shipping." Thanks, cheaters.

#22 7 years ago

Dumped fleabay long ago. Crooked sellers, expensive and unreliable shipping
    and little hope of getting $'s back if something goes wrong. Selling was even worse.
    Now, the few times I even bother to check listings, fleabay installs spyware
    on my computer that slows things down. Good by and good riddance!
    Steve

#23 7 years ago

You user can't help you now silly auction.

image.jpeg

#24 7 years ago

You have to protect yourself. I've been selling (and buying) on Ebay for years. And, yes, I've been screwed a few times, mostly from me not knowing the rules. When you ship something, ALWAYS get Delivery Conformation...even Overseas. If someone says they didn't get the item, Ebay ALWAYS sides with the Buyer unless you can PROVE they got it. I learned THAT the hard way!
    I also always pay with my PayPal account and don't link a Bank Credit Line. I pay everything through PayPal and never keep more money in there than I have to.
    90% of the time if I'm selling a Big Money Item (pinball machine, movie poster, etc), the deal is made outside of Ebay. You're NEVER going to make EVERYONE happy with a company that big, but right now they are still the Biggest & Best Game In Town. If something better comes along, I'm sure we will all make the switch.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Dumped fleabay long ago. Crooked sellers, expensive and unreliable shipping
    and little hope of getting $'s back if something goes wrong. Selling was even worse.
    Now, the few times I even bother to check listings, fleabay installs spyware
    on my computer that slows things down. Good by and good riddance!
    Steve

Spyware? you really think ebay wants to install spyware on your computer? There is no way, they are making a great profit as it is and would never jepordize that with spyware.

Quoted from chas010:

I got hosed on my last eBay sale where the buyer reported he never received the item and my post office receipt wasn't acceptable proof of shipment so no more eBay for me.

The only person to blame here is yourself. You have to get delivery confirmation. For the whole .35 cents you decided not to spend, you could have covered your transaction. Read the rules of ebay and abide by them, noone to blame but yourself.

Quoted from Brtlkat:

This is not BS, as mentioned people inflate shipping prices. If you offer free shipping and increase the price of your product you will have the same fees as sellling something for a penny and charging a ton for shipping. Bottom line, if you want 50 bucks for an item your selling, list it for 60 to cover the shipping.

Some of you guys must not have much experience with running a business, this is all common sense stuff that should have been around since day one with ebay. The only gripe I currently have is the ability for sellers to leave buyers negative feedback. Now its not as simple as opening that back up because sellers abused the negative feedback way too much, but a rating system would be useful just like sellers have dsr.

#26 7 years ago

Another thing that people never seem to understand is that you are buying items from other individuals not from a brick and mortar store. If you want first class customer service go pay retail for an item at your local store and add the sales tax on top of it. Even then sometimes the customer service is horrible, keep in mind sellers on ebay have a life, most do it as a side job/hobby and that your item is not the most important thing in the world. You have to expect to flex when you are purchasing an item at a discount through an online garage sale.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Spyware? you really think ebay wants to install spyware on your computer? There is no way, they are making a great profit as it is and would never jepordize that with spyware.

Spyware is everywhere, every website uses cookies, JavaScript, php, or some other method to track you.

#28 7 years ago

Yea I understand that, but they are not doing anything different that every single website out there. The spyware they are using really has no effect on your computer. Basically its not malicous, not something that will effect you. I mentioned the spyware in terms of it being something above and beyond what every website uses. I should have been clearer on my statement. Thanks for pointing that out

#29 7 years ago

Ebay gives you a LOT of exposure for very little money. I remember back in the day spending $40.00 to put an ad in the local newspaper to reach a couple cities. I list most my pins on Ebay and 75% of the time the deal gets done off of Ebay and all I paid them was a buck to reach the entire country. I have sold countless pins through Ebay though and have never had a bad experience. As mentioned you just need to adjust your price to cover the fees.

#30 7 years ago

Remember the old Want Ad Press? They put your ad in for free and when it sold, you sent them a percentage...all on the Honor System!

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yeah, "Buy this widget for $.01, $19.99 shipping." Thanks, cheaters.

Shipping gets expensive when you figure in the cost of things like boxes, styrofoam peanuts, and not knowing if someone in Florida or Vancouver is going to win your auction, and if you want to use FedEx you can't do a calculated rate on ebay.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Shipping gets expensive when you figure in the cost of things like boxes, styrofoam peanuts, and not knowing if someone in Florida or Vancouver is going to win your auction, and if you want to use FedEx you can't do a calculated rate on ebay.

That's as may be, but that does not excuse building most or all of the profit into the shipping cost in an attempt to avoid eBay fees, which is the point of my example. It is thanks to this that we now all get to pay FVFs on the shipping too.

#33 7 years ago

Sometimes you have to build in money. When I sold a set of 4 BIG books, all they would let me charge for postage was $4! Sometimes you gotta pad the price or the postage...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.50
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside