Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tadowhere
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0807 (1) (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0967 (resized).jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I just want to remind people that make the same mistake as me and try and sell a game on Ebay that it sucks.
    Long story short - I just wanted to make a quick sale on a game, list it on ebay for local pickup and cash on the glass. Sell the game, buyer is in CT, wants to ship the machine and pays via paypal. I told the buyer I'm not comfortable shipping the game because as a rule I only sell face to face after a person has tested the machine and we exchange cash. He wants me to send him a video of it working on my phone which still doesn't make me feel good about the transaction. I decide I just want to cancel it because I'm not trying to deal with it.

I put in a cancel request and notices it says if the buyer doesn't agree I still have to pay final value fees. WTF. I also refunded the paypal transaction.

I tried calling Ebay and was only old for 30 mins without getting to speak with anyone. I wanted to see what i should do when the buyer clearly isn't adhering to the language in the auction. For what Ebay charges they should have a much higher level of customer service.

What recourse do I have if the buyer doesn't decide to allow the transaction to be cancelled?

#2 5 years ago

EBAY certainly isn't what it used to be.......Probably headed on a downward spiral to going out of business or being bought out dirt cheap

#3 5 years ago

Welcome to 2008.

That's probably the last time I ever sold anything there.

Probably around the time they stopped allowing negative feedback from sellers.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Probably headed on a downward spiral to going out of business or being bought out dirt cheap

Yeah....ok...

#5 5 years ago

Man I miss the simpole days of Ebay. Win a bid, get a cashier's check, send it away, receive the laserdisc days later...wtf happened?

#6 5 years ago

If its stated in your auction then there should be no arguement, if you accept paypal he can get the game and bitch again for his money back, forget that, thats my policy i wouldnt ship a game either.

#7 5 years ago

That's why pins on eBay are listed for 2x to 3x their normal selling price, because eBay is a huge hassle to deal with. Wait until you ship the machine and he files a dispute with PayPal. Your money will be tied up for months. There are way more efficient ways to sell locally if your price is on point.

As for your situation, keep trying to contact eBay. I had a user harassing me on there a couple years ago, and they were very decent to deal with once I got through.

#8 5 years ago

eBay needs a legitimate competitor. I've been screwed more than a couple times for no good reason both as a buyer and a seller.

#9 5 years ago

There is no quicker sale than Craigslist.

Has anyone ever put a fairly priced game on CL and not got 10 phone calls instantly on it?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Welcome to 2008.
    That's probably the last time I ever sold anything there.
    Probably around the time they stopped allowing negative feedback from sellers.

Same here, its been years since I sold anything. For what they charge now for fees, AND they take a fee for whatever your shipping charges were. It really has changed. I still buy off Ebay, but not selling anymore........

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

Same here, its been years since I sold anything. For what they charge now for fees, AND they take a fee for whatever your shipping charges were.

AND you have to pay with paypal which they own. 12.9% taken right from jump street.

#12 5 years ago

I've had the best luck with craigslist. Not as much luck with Ebay or pinside. I usually get calls immediately with craigslist, all local people.

#13 5 years ago

One of the many reasons I don’t sell anything over $250 on EBay any longer. Once they started making you take PayPal I was done.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So true.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I tried calling Ebay and was only old for 30 mins without getting to speak with anyone.

I have waited aboot two hours on hold to talk to our friends at the IRS in the past. Cell phones & speaker mode are Greta for this.
    Call those assholes back at fleabay.

#16 5 years ago

I have not sold anything on Ebay for years so I am not up to date on policy. I used to take personal checks---the old school way.

Are you all telling me that Ebay now requires you to use Paypal only?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Has anyone ever put a fairly priced game on CL and not got 10 phone calls instantly on it?

Unless you live in the middle of nowhwere... CL usually turns up nothing but scammers for me.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Unless you live in the middle of nowhwere... CL usually turns up nothing but scammers for me.

Agreed but OP is from Ohio...states all around close and looking to buy

#19 5 years ago

So to be fair why did you sell on eBay not Craigslist? We all know it is now geared for buyers not sellers, not new news.

I have bought a bunch of games over the years from eBay. If to far to drive I have the seller ship. Never had a problem.

#20 5 years ago

I've had the exact opposite experience. Some scammers, but mostly legit people. Pinside has scammers too, easy to spot these people no matter where they pop up. Pinside just fills up my inbox with messages asking if I'll ship even though I state that I won't. Craigslist gives me locals, they stop by and take a look at it and buy if they like what they see, cash on the glass.

I can see Pinside being better overall if you ship your pins, gives you more nationwide exposure with people in the hobby.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I just want to remind people that make the same mistake as me and try and sell a game on Ebay that it sucks.
    Long story short - I just wanted to make a quick sale on a game, list it on ebay for local pickup and cash on the glass. Sell the game, buyer is in CT, wants to ship the machine and pays via paypal. I told the buyer I'm not comfortable shipping the game because as a rule I only sell face to face after a person has tested the machine and we exchange cash. He wants me to send him a video of it working on my phone which still doesn't make me feel good about the transaction. I decide I just want to cancel it because I'm not trying to deal with it.
    I put in a cancel request and notices it says if the buyer doesn't agree I still have to pay final value fees. WTF. I also refunded the paypal transaction.
    I tried calling Ebay and was only old for 30 mins without getting to speak with anyone. I wanted to see what i should do when the buyer clearly isn't adhering to the language in the auction. For what Ebay charges they should have a much higher level of customer service.
    What recourse do I have if the buyer doesn't decide to allow the transaction to be cancelled?

If you chose the cancellation reason as problem with the address, then you don't have to worry about them accepting.

The one problem you have is that you refunded the Paypal transaction. When you cancel a transaction on Ebay, it then automatically refunds on Paypal, and once that is done it triggers the completion of the cancel and refunds you the FVF. Doing the refund manually on Paypal usually screws everything up.

#22 5 years ago

In the KC area, craigslist is amazing for selling Williams machines but awful for everything else. Williams machines are gone same day even if the price is high but Stern's price at market will sit for months.

#23 5 years ago

I sell on CL all the time. I sell pinball machines and other items as well. I am no expert but I have a lot of experience with cl buyers. Most of the time I can sense a buyer vs a pain in the ads
    Price it for what it is and they will come.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

EBAY certainly isn't what it used to be.......Probably headed on a downward spiral to going out of business or being bought out dirt cheap

I couldn't be more hopeful of this.

#25 5 years ago

It's easy to avoid scammers:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide/page/7#post-4366586

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And Facebook. I have sold more machines on there than CL

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's easy to avoid scammers:

Avoiding them is easy, it is just annoying that the ratio of scammers to legitimate questions and inquires is about 100: 1 for me.

#28 5 years ago

Avoiding them is easy, it is just annoying that the ratio of scammers to legitimate questions and inquires is about 100: 1 for me.

That's why you always have to say in the ad "voice calls only - no email or texts"

That little line of text reduces the scams 99% instantly.

Scammers will never leave you a voice message, they can't speak in the local dialect.

#29 5 years ago

Just be patient, calll them and voice your problems. They usually have taken care of problems for me, and I sell a lot of crap on Ebay. A lot of Star Wars stuff.. my Dewback is for sale if anyone looking..

IMG_0967 (resized).jpegIMG_0967 (resized).jpeg
    #30 5 years ago

And I could probably part with my premium format scout trooper. Freaking heavy!

IMG_0807 (1) (resized).jpegIMG_0807 (1) (resized).jpeg
    #31 5 years ago

Ebay is so terrible to sellers. If you are just buying, it is good, but as a seller, they treat you like trash and screw you any chance they get. I learned that a few years ago.

#32 5 years ago

Been a long time eBay user and have purchased/sold a lot of items. Got an e-mail today form Paypal saying the buyer opened a dispute for an unauthorized purchase. So now paypal is showing a negative $820 on my account while they investigate. The transaction was from early August on eBay. The item is covered under the seller protection and I did everything properly as a seller (sent to proper address and required signature confirmation upon delivery) so if somehow I end up being responsible for the funds and don't get my item back I'll be pissed.

#33 5 years ago

Yeah, Ebay is garbage, these days. I've received over 3500 positive feedbacks since 2001, however, I haven't really sold much since after 2008/2009. This year, I've received 19 positive feedbacks, mainly from buying. Haven't really used it except to buy things I can't easily or quickly buy elsewhere.

Amazon is becoming the same way though with buyers abusing the system. I just sold a large lego set for $650 on Amazon and it's being sent back from fulfillment by Amazon to me. I'm assuming the customer ripped it open stole the minifigures and is returning it. Now, I'll have a box of legos that's open, no longer a set that I'll be stuck trying to sell.

It's more a cost of doing business on there because the exposure and sales are ten times greater than they'd ever be on Ebay. Unless you have an item worth more than $10 after fees, sell it at a tag sale/donate it/toss it.

If you have something valuable, and over $249 make sure there's a signature and that it's delivered to the confirmed address. Even then you'll have people trying to swap out their non-working/broken item with your item. The anonymity of the internet has really exposed the the true scumbag nature of a lot of people. It just hurts more on ebay and amazon because it hits you in the pocket.

Buyers like this guy know they have the upper hand with messing with you. Ebay forces you to put Paypal as an accepted form of payment even though you clearly put that it must be picked up which alone would make it so there's no proof that the buyer received the item if they were to do a chargeback. You can't do it now but I think you used to be able to cancel a transaction and say it was at the buyer's request without their consent. You won't have to ship the item, you can probably get the fees refunded after explaining the situation though. If it's the Super Par Golf listing, based on your info, it clearly says local pickup/no shipping in the terms.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Been a long time eBay user and have purchased/sold a lot of items. Got an e-mail today form Paypal saying the buyer opened a dispute for an unauthorized purchase. So now paypal is showing a negative $820 on my account while they investigate. The transaction was from early August on eBay. The item is covered under the seller protection and I did everything properly as a seller (sent to proper address and required signature confirmation upon delivery) so if somehow I end up being responsible for the funds and don't get my item back I'll be pissed.

You are 100% covered. You can actually call Paypal directly, get to the resolution center department, and explain that you have an open case for an unauthorized purchase that is covered by seller protection and you want the hold lifted. They will do that over the phone for you. You definitely don't have anything to worry about.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

paypal is showing a negative $820 on my account while they investigate.

I'd make sure Paypal isn't tied to any bank account ASAP. They'll probably try to get the money out of your account.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man I miss the simpole days of Ebay. Win a bid, get a cashier's check, send it away, receive the laserdisc days later...wtf happened?

Exactly! and there were great items fresh out of attics and basements listed at low starting prices actually worth bidding on. Now it’s mostly dreamers and scalpers with insane buy it now or opening bids.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinside too if you aren't trying to set a new high sale price. I sold a game on e-bay once too. After being beat to hell by fees, I just wish that old Gorgar was still in the lineup. E-bay is decent for selling parts that are a nice, shippable dimension and weight. That's about all IMO

#38 5 years ago

Trick is to sell in volume on eBay so if 1 in 50 transactions go south it’s easier to take the L without getting so salty...

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

You are 100% covered. You can actually call Paypal directly, get to the resolution center department, and explain that you have an open case for an unauthorized purchase that is covered by seller protection and you want the hold lifted. They will do that over the phone for you. You definitely don't have anything to worry about.

I just got off the phone and they released it so my balance is back to zero. They said it helped considering how long I been a member and I never had any issues on my account. If I had to guess someone hacked the buyers account. He filed the dispute though his bank and not paypal. I shipped to the confirmed address I received and made sure to get signature confirmation because it was an expensive item and I was worried something like this might happen.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd make sure Paypal isn't tied to any bank account ASAP. They'll probably try to get the money out of your account.

At first the system wouldn't let me. Likely cause of the negative balance. Now that the hold is removed and balance is zero I removed my bank until the case is officially closed.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

So to be fair why did you sell on eBay not Craigslist? We all know it is now geared for buyers not sellers, not new news.
    I have bought a bunch of games over the years from eBay. If to far to drive I have the seller ship. Never had a problem.

Cause I'm a lazy fk. I'm sorry I did it now. It's just so easy to list on Ebay and get max exposure but man it isn't worth it.

#41 5 years ago

Ebay sucks... Paypal sucks... {end of story}

I stay far away from both.

#42 5 years ago

you can get the fees back, but you will be on hold for a phillipines rep for a hour. yep sucks! but u will eventually get it back, had that happen too

#43 5 years ago

Request arbitration with eBay. They will most likely drop the matter and refund you than risk going to arbitration which will cost them more.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ive gotten 10 tire kickers

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

you can get the fees back, but you will be on hold for a phillipines rep for a hour. yep sucks! but u will eventually get it back, had that happen too

I'm no huge eBay fan anymore, but this hasn't been the case for me at all and I'm not even a powerseller. Their customer service is light years better than it used to be years ago when I was a powerseller and still had to wait on hold forever. When contacting them now, they give you the option to have a call back so you never have to wait and the most I have had to wait for a call back in over a year is 6 minutes. I was just on the phone with them yesterday about a guy who now says that something doesn't work and he wants to know what I am going to do for him...2 months after he got it and he has already left me positive feedback for it. Ebay customer service has actually been very helpful for me. Always get them to spell out what you are supposed to do and then verify it with them again. They record the calls and I have actually had them use that to verify I was given bad advice multiple times and they took the hit and paid me back for the refund they issued because of it. That said, like others I would never sell a game on eBay or anything of great value that I wasn't willing to lose the money on if it came to that, simply not worth the risk.

#46 5 years ago

eBay seller for 18 years with over 13K transactions. I've only sold one pin and that went smooth to a local buyer since I delivered it (extra fee) and set it up. I mainly sell Snap-On hand tools which have a near zero return or problem. Fees are now really excessive. 8% is now 10% with a 10% discount for being a top rated seller. When you sell items under $15 you end up with 40% in costs with "free shipping" I'm almost forced to provide and fees. I miss the days when it was 90% collectibles and you paid a seller with a money order. Now they think they can compete with Amazon and give "guaranteed delivery" which I refused to op into and then they just put into my listings anyway. $700,000 in lifetime sales and I wish there was a better option.

#47 5 years ago

Sold antiques and rare stuff on E-Bay for 20 years, now its over. Buyers have learned a new trick, they buy your item,remove the parts they want and then request a return since "Item is not as listed". I provide proof in photos, weight of package, etc and Ebay rules for the Buyer.
    The fees are outrageous, and billing is insidious, very difficult to ascertain what you are being charged.
    Buyers are no longer easy to get along with, seems everyone wants perfect items they can quickly flip, and raise hell when its not, even though the listing was very clear on condition.
    I dream of the day when Ebay and Paypal are out of business, or taken over and completely re-vamped. I have never known a better more innovative Business structure to be so completely screwed up by greedy shit-for brains leaders. Wasn't Elon Musk an early Officer for paypal? Explains a lot.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

Yeah, Ebay is garbage, these days. I've received over 3500 positive feedbacks since 2001, however, I haven't really sold much since after 2008/2009. This year, I've received 19 positive feedbacks, mainly from buying. Haven't really used it except to buy things I can't easily or quickly buy elsewhere.
    Amazon is becoming the same way though with buyers abusing the system. I just sold a large lego set for $650 on Amazon and it's being sent back from fulfillment by Amazon to me. I'm assuming the customer ripped it open stole the minifigures and is returning it. Now, I'll have a box of legos that's open, no longer a set that I'll be stuck trying to sell.
    It's more a cost of doing business on there because the exposure and sales are ten times greater than they'd ever be on Ebay. Unless you have an item worth more than $10 after fees, sell it at a tag sale/donate it/toss it.
    If you have something valuable, and over $249 make sure there's a signature and that it's delivered to the confirmed address. Even then you'll have people trying to swap out their non-working/broken item with your item. The anonymity of the internet has really exposed the the true scumbag nature of a lot of people. It just hurts more on ebay and amazon because it hits you in the pocket.
    Buyers like this guy know they have the upper hand with messing with you. Ebay forces you to put Paypal as an accepted form of payment even though you clearly put that it must be picked up which alone would make it so there's no proof that the buyer received the item if they were to do a chargeback. You can't do it now but I think you used to be able to cancel a transaction and say it was at the buyer's request without their consent. You won't have to ship the item, you can probably get the fees refunded after explaining the situation though. If it's the Super Par Golf listing, based on your info, it clearly says local pickup/no shipping in the terms.

You almost have to do a packing video from boxing to walking into the post office. Don't let the box out of camera sight from start to finish..

#49 5 years ago

Well the buyer just isn't responding to my messages or the request to cancel. I don't understand it.

#50 5 years ago

My experience with Let Go is taking me back to eBay despite the scammers. Let Go tire kickers are super annoying. Message after message and no follow-through.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-sucks/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.