Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So, recently I noticed ebay is escaping paying sales tax and have passed this onto the buyer. You'll start noticing small separate sales tax statements on your credit card. Another way where email is avoiding paying sales tax and passing it onto you along with paypal fees, listing fees and a percentage of your sale. Gonna start avoiding ebay.

#2 4 years ago

It’s because the state you are in voted to collect sales tax from internet purchases. eBay has been sending notices about the change for months.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

It’s because the state you are in voted to collect sales tax from internet purchases.

Really sucks. But how does Amazon get away with it?

#5 4 years ago

Paying taxes to your state really isn’t a bad thing.

#6 4 years ago

If amazon has a warehouse/ distribution center “storefront” in your state then you pay taxes through amazon.
    We’ve been paying tax on amazon purchases here in Michigan for 2 years or so

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

They dont, I live in TN with a amazon distro center and I pay local tax on items. It is nice though because I actually have gotten shipments in like 2 hours after ordered

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Wish I could pay less federal tax and give all that to my state instead!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

So, recently I noticed ebay is escaping paying sales tax and have passed this onto the buyer. You'll start noticing small separate sales tax statements on your credit card. Another way where email is avoiding paying sales tax and passing it onto you along with paypal fees, listing fees and a percentage of your sale. Gonna start avoiding ebay.

Biggest issue I have with the sales tax,is if the item is used there was already taxes payed on most items when new. It’s not like there refunding the original seller any of the original sales tax they may of payed.

#10 4 years ago

So, can you expect to see sales tax if you buy a product from China on Ebay?
    I don't think Communists have sales tax...

#11 4 years ago

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
    Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
    If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
    If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

SRV's version blew the Beatles original out of the water.....

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

SRV's version blew the Beatles original out of the water.....

With twenty+ years to work on it, I'd hope he'd do it justice.

Can't say the same for his Voodoo Child. Noone tops Hendrix's.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Taxation is theft.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Taxation is theft.

Ya, end all public services. I've been saying it for years.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

They dont for my state. I have to pay the sales tax from Amazon.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Ya, end all public services. I've been saying it for years.

Joking right? police, fire? All toll roads? Manage your own sewage? Dig well for water? National Defense/Military? Health care? scientific research? etc.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Joking right? police, fire? All toll roads? Manage your own sewage? Dig well for water? National Defense/Military? Health care? scientific research? etc.

Public jobs are all unionized. It's the basic problem, having someone always fighting for increased pay/overtime pay and keeping public sector pensions intact. In Mass, I remember reading 10 YEARS AGO, that a lot of Logan airport parking lot attendants making north of $100k. What if the private sector had mandatory overtime pay and those pensions benefits? Everything would go up 6.25% like our taxes are set at.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I manage my own sewage and water, does that give me a tax break and pay my own health care insurance. Do I get a tax break? haha.

My issue is that the state takes all this tax money, pisses it away on whatever and never fixes the actual problems, and then raises taxes year after year. Its ridiculous and pathetic.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I manage my own sewage and water, does that give me a tax break and pay my own health care insurance. Do I get a tax break? haha.
    My issue is that the state takes all this tax money, pisses it away on whatever and never fixes the actual problems, and then raises taxes year after year. Its ridiculous and pathetic.

Well that's more town level property taxes than state but a good point anyway. We have a septic system. What does that cost the town? Whatever happened to town paid trash pickup? Long gone and property taxes here have increased 20% in just the last 4 years! (Prop 2 1/2 overrides every year..) Think about this: The far majority of home owners had to borrow money to buy their home. Over the lifetime of your 30 year mortgage you've paid (at least around here in Mass) more in property taxes than in interest on your loan. You had to borrow MORE MONEY because of high property taxes. Borrowing money to pay your taxes....

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Well that's more town level property taxes than state but a good point anyway. We have a septic system. What does that cost the town? Whatever happened to town paid trash pickup? Long gone and property taxes here have increased 20% in just the last 4 years! (Prop 2 1/2 overrides every year..) Think about this: The far majority of home owners had to borrow money to buy their home. Over the lifetime of your 30 year mortgage you've paid (at least around here in Mass) more in property taxes than in interest on your loan. You had to borrow MORE MONEY because of high property taxes. Borrowing money to pay your taxes....

Yup, same problems here in CT.... and people wonder why 60% are leaving this state. These decision makers have their heads up their asses!

#22 4 years ago

The golden age of online purchases is rapidly coming to a close.

Just recently, I've bought *used* stuff on ebay, and have been getting charged sales tax from sellers in various states, from Canada, and from Germany. It's crazy.

#23 4 years ago

pinside is basically an old man yelling “Get off my lawn!”.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The golden age of online purchases is rapidly coming to a close.
    Just recently, I've bough *used* stuff on ebay, and have been getting charged sales tax from sellers in various states, from Canada, and from Germany. It's crazy.

Online shopping has become a nightmare. Its full of crap quality items and bootlegs. I find myself having to return 75% of what I order online. At this point, its just easier and quicker to go to a store.

#25 4 years ago

Will they be collecting taxes on sales from individuals selling their unused stuff or just from those that act as a business?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Will they be collecting taxes on sales from individuals selling their unused stuff or just from those that act as a business?

They aren't requiring individuals to handle sales tax, but they still charge it to the buyer. That's probably why there are two separate charges for it; I'm guessing it has something to do with their accounting and handling of that.

[edit]: The technical term is Marketplace Facilitator legislation, for those who want to dig into it further.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Biggest issue I have with the sales tax,is if the item is used there was already taxes payed on most items when new. It’s not like there refunding the original seller any of the original sales tax they may of payed.

Most items are taxed multiple times. Every part supplier pays tax, then tax is paid again on the next higher level assembly sold, and again by the wholesaler, and again by the retailer, and so on. It's really no different when you sell something used. Companies may not pay sales tax but they pay income taxes that are just another expense built into the cost of the item.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Huh? I've been charged sales tax on Amazon purchases for a good long while now in TX...

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Most items are taxed multiple times. Every part supplier pays tax, then tax is paid again on the next higher level assembly sold, and again by the wholesaler, and again by the retailer, and so on. It's really no different when you sell something used. Companies may not pay sales tax but they pay income taxes that are just another expense built into the cost of the item.

That is actually incorrect. Taxes are only supposed to be collected on the final sold product. If you are purchasing a part that goes into something that will be sold you are supposed to be tax exempt on it (note: only if it is going into a later purchasable product, things like office supplies that are being used by the business still need to pay sales tax on). Items purchased for reselling are also supposed to be tax exempt (some people may be doing it wrong).

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from wamoc:

That is actually incorrect. Taxes are only supposed to be collected on the final sold product. If you are purchasing a part that goes into something that will be sold you are supposed to be tax exempt on it (note: only if it is going into a later purchasable product, things like office supplies that are being used by the business still need to pay sales tax on). Items purchased for reselling are also supposed to be tax exempt (some people may be doing it wrong).

It's usually referred to as a resale certificate.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from wamoc:

I understand that companies don't pay sales tax on parts that go into something down steam, and tried to indicate that by saying they don't pay sales tax, but they do pay income taxes that are built into the product price. By the time a consumer buys a product it has a huge amount of taxes built into the purchase price. Personally, I think it would be better if companies did not pay taxes, and all taxes were paid at the point of consumption. People would have a much better appreciation of the total taxes that they are actually paying.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

yes i was joking.

Quoted from luckymoey:

but they do pay income taxes that are built into the product price

right, products and services are generallypriced according to the cost of providing them.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Personally, I think it would be better if companies did not pay taxes, and all taxes were paid at the point of consumption. People would have a much better appreciation of the total taxes that they are actually paying.

It would encourage savings and tax increases would be up front and center, easily quantified by everyone who is spending money. This is essentially what Steve Forbes was suggesting when he ran for President in '96. It'll never happen though.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphcousman:

It’s because the state you are in voted to collect sales tax from internet purchases. eBay has been sending notices about the change for months.

They are starting to do it in other states as well.

#35 4 years ago

I wonder what happens when other "replacements" for Amazon and Ebay crop up and start doing business without paying taxes? If you get something on Craigslist or Backpage, there is no tax, unless you receive a title that the tax man can target. If you go to a garage sale, there is no tax. If I purchase something from a guy on the side of the road that has stuff in his trunk, there are no tax. Are these things next? The tax man never rests... I think as long as the purchase is not documented or tracked on a computer, there is probably no way it can be taxed, but I could be wrong. I think this will just force some people to purchase a lot of things "under the radar"...

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

The vast majority of people pay separately for sewage and water, so yes, you can stop paying those utility bills if you'd like.

#37 4 years ago

If I drive to Georgia to buy a car, why do I get charged Florida sales tax? Seems like the transaction would take out of state.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If I drive to Georgia to buy a car, why do I get charged Florida sales tax? Seems like the transaction would take out of state.

Just buy one of those Montana cars that are very, very popular in Georgia.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Exact same situation with me...hell, I just noticed we're in the same town!

#40 4 years ago

hah now Americans have to do the same stuff we've had to for years.
    theres plenty of parcel fowarders.. get an account with ( example) shipito in OR or one of the other tax free zones...
    consoliate all the crap you buy there and send it home to yourself as private mail

#41 4 years ago

You can move to Delaware, no sales tax there

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Exact same situation with me...hell, I just noticed we're in the same town!

Hey, well thats funny!

#43 4 years ago

Me hate tax. Tax bad. Abolish the gov ment.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-sales-tax-shennanigans?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.