Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-intermediate-payments-on-its-marketplace-platform/

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email [email protected].

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

#2 6 years ago

Hopefully they side with the seller more

#3 6 years ago

Got this email this morning to...Actually sounds like ebay is trying to distance themselves from paypal.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Hopefully they side with the seller more

I agree with that.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience

Key words customer experience... do they consider the buyer or seller the more important "customer".
    I guess time will tell.

Thanks for posting this news!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got this email this morning to...Actually sounds like ebay is trying to distance themselves from paypal.

It sounded that way to me too. But it also sounded like they wanted to recreate the wheel and have an in-house payment system again like before the ebay/paypal separation.

If they do that, I'd have to ask what the point of the separation was in the first place, and will the same thing happen again?

#7 6 years ago

Aren't eBay and PayPal owned by the same company?

#8 6 years ago

At one time yes

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawknole:

Aren't eBay and PayPal owned by the same company?

At one time they were, but then they separated a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#eBay_subsidiary_(2002%E2%80%932014)

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wasn’t it something to do with a class action lawsuit? Pretty sure it was.

#11 6 years ago

i just sold something for $400 on EBay. PayPal took $17 and eBay will take 10% leaving me with $343. Not a good deal.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Wasn’t it something to do with a class action lawsuit? Pretty sure it was.

Both ebay and paypal have been hit by a whole slew of lawsuits over the years, but I don't recall that being the specific reason. I'm not seeing anything about that in a quick search. I'd be interested to see if that actually was the reason.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

i just sold something for $400 on EBay. PayPal took $17 and eBay will take 10% leaving me with $343. Not a good deal.

Where else could you have sold the item for $343?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Craigslist

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

What a ripoff.

#16 6 years ago

I love PayPal. Take up the 10% with Ebay. PayPal charges 2.9% just like every other cc processor. They just get F’d with people exploiting Friends and Family.

I’ve used 6 months same as cash for years and they are fair to both parties in most cases.

#17 6 years ago

I've been caught up in two scams involving PayPal in the last three months.

I bought something and the seller fails to deliver. The seller also does not claim the funds on PayPal, and PayPal says they can't reverse the transaction because it's unclaimed. After 30 days, you can finally request the refund. I think some people will forget, then the seller will claim it afterwards. eBay won't do anything about it and PayPal won't do anything about it until 30 days after the transaction. It's super frustrating.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Facebook groups that focus on buying and selling items.
    Could be for selling kayaks/canoes. Could be for selling pinball machines.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Facebook

Edit: Someone already mentioned it. I haven't used Facebook marketplace yet, but seems to be up and coming

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ebay in its hayday and high stock price bought the up and coming paypal from Elan Musk under a cooperative deal, 10 years. That expired 2 years ago and paypal took there holdings back.This was under the brain trust of Meg Whitman. She in turn almost screwed over everthing paying 1 billion for skype almost killing ebay. Probably the worst bussiness purchase ever. Ebay doesnt make much off of any paypal transaction, .01% . Meg was just horrible. During her tenure she was the only one to make money with her salary. I used to be pretty involved with ebay, there is a few things that i worked on in the day. The class action lawsuit was the Liveauctuons division, also now dead. Fake diamonds killed that venture.

#21 6 years ago

Yea if you want to get repeatedly low balled or offered to trade your item for a quad...

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Yea if you want to get repeatedly low balled or offered to trade your item for a quad...

Hence the

#24 6 years ago

wish ebay had games capped at $250 instead of $750 now for fees. thats why less games are sold on there now.

#25 6 years ago

I have used eBay since 1999 and my opinion is it has gotten much worse in the last couple years with fraud. I will buy occasionally on eBay but selling via eBay for me is a risk that I would rather avoid.

#26 6 years ago

Would rather use Craigslist then pay eBay & PayPal fees and then add shipping cost just not worth it.

#27 6 years ago

When I got this email yesterday I was worried that eBay was trying get into the center of the transaction by acting like an escrow - holding funds until the buyer is happy - but I no longer think that's the intent. I still don't like the "no action at this time" at the beginning of the paragraph saying that "next steps are coming later" for sellers. That probably means opening an ebay cash account. In my mind now I'm comparing it to "CVS pay" or "Walmart pay" that try to get folks to bypass their apple or android pay and work directly with their vendor-specific app. I, for one, don't want to decentralize my buying (or selling) into separate accounts for each vendor (or sales platform).

eBay also reminds me of Blockbuster video in how they kept tripping over themselves and in doing so left the door wide open for Netflix. Just don't know who ends up eating eBay's lunch yet!

-Rob
    -check out my Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=e36051
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#28 6 years ago

I've got a bad feeling about this.
    Don't know how, but somehow this will end up being bad for everyone. Except eBay.

#30 6 years ago

Im going in on Adyen IPO.

#31 6 years ago

I have been selling vintage toys on ebay since '97 (thetoyaisle), now just pinball parts. There's no better place to reach that many customers worldwide IMO. Threwout all the scammers and a massive block list I can say that its been a good ride. Personally I'm a paypal guy so I'm not sure what to make of this new payment process? It does seem like there distancing themselves from pp. It still seems like it's the wild wild west on ebay, lawless and wild lol.

#32 6 years ago

Will just be another way to suck more $$ from sellers.

#33 6 years ago

Why still use Ebay? They just rub me the wrong way. There's CL and Letgo. I never tried letgo but I think they are free. On CL every ad gets many "is the item still available" e-amils. Once you make clear its cash only then its not too bad. I hate Ebay.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I have been selling vintage toys on ebay since '97 (thetoyaisle), now just pinball parts. There's no better place to reach that many customers worldwide IMO. Threwout all the scammers and a massive block list I can say that its been a good ride. Personally I'm a paypal guy so I'm not sure what to make of this new payment process? It does seem like there distancing themselves from pp. It still seems like it's the wild wild west on ebay, lawless and wild lol.

Good post - I agree they still have audience. The holes in the details of their new payment solution is concerning. What I'd really like to see is a more open selection of payment options on listings.... for example, as a seller I'd like to add Square as my primary payment option. Also, part of the payment processing is the shipping process. I suspect the eBay shipping is really Paypal's because of similarity in form and function. Would be a shame to break the tight integration that allows us small sellers to easily print shipping labels (USPS, UPS and/or Fedex) at home. Imagine the payment processing options being as easy to select as the shipping option.

-Rob
    -check out my Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/skee-ball-display-pcbs-redesigned?ref=e36051
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

Why still use Ebay? They just rub me the wrong way. There's CL and Letgo. I never tried letgo but I think they are free. On CL every ad gets many "is the item still available" e-amils. Once you make clear its cash only then its not too bad. I hate Ebay.

Eh, those systems have their drawbacks. Tire kicker messages and other weirdness, for starters.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-reinventing-paypal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.