Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dwizz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm picking up an F14 today I won on e-bay and the seller got mad because I paid with paypal and not cash. When I was talking to him on the phone he hung up on me, but called back and apologized so now I'm worried he will mess wit the game. Do system 11 games have an error message on the display when they boot up? It looked good in the pictures and was working. So can I kick the tires when I get there or is it his right to refuse me turning it on before I accept it?

#2 11 years ago

#3 11 years ago

I would have waited to pay until you got there to see it.

There is a diagnostic mode that you can run. The owner will probably know how to do it, if you ask him.

You need to do that, to make sure the item is as it was described in the listing you won.

#4 11 years ago

I am confused? Did the auction say you could pay with paypal or did is say cash only?

#5 11 years ago

you should have waited to buy it and pay for it when you got there. the eBay fees plus PayPal fees may run 15% or more. usually people price their game high enough so it WONT sell online so
that people who bring cash are more profitable. I even had one guy once who used PayPal then had the never to ask for some money off when he got there. any room to negotiate on price evaporates with the eBay and PayPal fees. if you didn't know you didn't know but next time don't "buy it now" and definitely don't use PayPal. eBay fees and PayPal fees are incredibly high. ridiculously high...

#6 11 years ago

If I was paying in cash I would have. I paid with a credit card through e-bay. But I should still have the right to inspect it before leaving. That would be like me giving him a sealed envelope and saying he couldn't count it until I leave.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

I'm picking up an F14 today I won on e-bay and the seller got mad because I paid with paypal and not cash. When I was talking to him on the phone he hung up on me, but called back and apologized so now I'm worried he will mess wit the game. Do system 11 games have an error message on the display when they boot up? It looked good in the pictures and was working. So can I kick the tires when I get there or is it his right to refuse me turning it on before I accept it?

It's against ebay rules for a seller to accept cash only.

I got a negative due to asking for cash.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I am confused? Did the auction say you could pay with paypal or did is say cash only?

It doesn't make any difference. It's against ebay rules to accept cash only.

The seller should of mentioned x amount is to be paid via paypal & the remainder cash.

#9 11 years ago

Pay pal was listed as a form of payment and I paid for it after I got my invoice, He dident know he would get charged then said I should have to pat it. I refused because if should have gotten charged they would have charged me. I dident buy it now won it for 1k. I think people dont realize the fees when they cry about the high prices on e-bay they just remember the prices they saw at a show or a deal they missed on craigslist and think all pins should go for as low as a deal they saw once.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

Pay pal was listed as a form of payment and I paid for it after I got my invoice, He dident know he would get charged then said I should have to pat it. I refused because if should have gotten charged they would have charged me. I dident buy it now won it for 1k. I think people dont realize the fees when they cry about the high prices on e-bay they just remember the prices they saw at a show or a deal they missed on craigslist and think all pins should go for as low as a deal they saw once.

A seller cannot sell on ebay without a paypal account.

Ask the seller to refund x amount & pay the remainder in cash.

#11 11 years ago

The guy sounds like a problem to me. Might be more trouble than it is worth

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The guy sounds like a problem to me. Might be more trouble than it is worth

I can understand both sides..but at the end of the day both the seller & buyer agreed to ebay t's & c's when they signed up.

#13 11 years ago

All i know is that if i sell a pin, its 100% cash only. If you sent me paypal, i would refund the payment. Of course i have the 100% positive feedback on ebay so 1 negative would not hurt me. Pinball machines are finicky. Novice Pinball buyers think everything is an everlasting gob stopper. First problem with an ebay purchase, what is the first thing one does, file a dispute. I personally do not want that type is of headache.

#14 11 years ago

I know I was ready to back out, but the machine looked good and I think I got a good deal so I dident want loose out. Something simmiler to this happened 3 years ago on a white water for 1300.00 and I have regretted backing out ever since.

#15 11 years ago

your "inspecting it first" argument doesnt hold water. with cash you can still refuse it at pickup. the only difference is you DON'T have to seek a refund for your payment and the seller DOESN'T have to seek a refund thru eBay when you refuse to buy. hanging up was wrong on his part but paying by PayPal is something that makes me cringe on an item that is picked up. eBay has hosed me many times. I never did transactions outside until about the 15th time the jerked me.

#16 11 years ago

Ive had a few auctions end and a potential buyer messaged through Ebay wanting to buy it, I then sold it without relisting and had the guy use Paypal, if you dont do it often I doubt its a big deal, ebay would just send you a warning if they caught you (the first time).

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

All i know is that if i sell a pin, its 100% cash only. If you sent me paypal, i would refund the payment. Of course i have the 100% positive feedback on ebay so 1 negative would not hurt me. Pinball machines are finicky. Novice Pinball buyers think everything is an everlasting gob stopper. First problem with an ebay purchase, what is the first thing one does, file a dispute. I personally do not want that type is of headache.

It doesn't make a difference what YOU (seller) wants. You're not adhering the the T's & c's that you agreed too when signing up with ebay.

E.g you sell a table on ebay for $2,000 get the buyer to pay $100 into your paypal thus covering the FVF & the remainder in cash.

#18 11 years ago

Well E-BAY is a sellers market. And for the most part is where we see the high prices on games everyone likes to bitch about/stare in amazement. So even with the fees and uneducated buyers its where top dollar is paid.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

Well E-BAY is a sellers market. And for the most part is where we see the high prices on games everyone likes to bitch about/stare in amazement. So even with the fees and uneducated buyers its where top dollar is paid.

That's life.

You best learn to program & knock ebay out of the water.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

It doesn't make a difference what YOU (seller) wants. You're not adhering the the T's & c's that you agreed too when signing up with ebay.
E.g you sell a table on ebay for $2,000 get the buyer to pay $100 into your paypal thus covering the FVF & the remainder in cash.

eBay protects the buyer. period. I have never screwed a buyer yet I've been screwed countless times by eBay. I watch out for myself because eBay has proven time and time again that they protect the buyer. my only options are a) not use eBay or b) protect myself regardless of what eBays user agreement says.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

eBay protects the buyer. period. I have never screwed a buyer yet I've been screwed countless times by eBay. I watch out for myself because eBay has proven time and time again that they protect the buyer. my only options are a) not use eBay or b) protect myself regardless of what eBays user agreement says.

Oh I agree. The seller cannot be had over (scammed).

#22 11 years ago

Suggestion.. take a small deposit via paypal, therefore if the buyer places a dispute he/she will only get that amount back.

#23 11 years ago

I agree too. The buyer has all the rights but if you are selling chances are you will get more on e-bay that has a larger audience. Most people uneducated about prices will shop e-bay as opposed to Mr Pinbaal or trolling through message boards to find deals.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

I agree too. The buyer has all the rights but if you are selling chances are you will get more on e-bay that has a larger audience. Most people uneducated about prices will shop e-bay as opposed to Mr Pinbaal or trolling through message boards to find deals.

Correct.. Only pin heads know about pinside etc etc

Where as a newbie would go to ebay.

#25 11 years ago

I shop eBay, mrpinball and RGP/pinside. I buy and sell on all. I have had people want to negotiate price when they arrive AFTER using paypal. I've had people back out AFTER using PayPal. what you can't seem to admit is that you are wrong on the cash/PayPal thing. whether you check out or just show up with cash either way you can walk away from the deal. the only difference is the fee. it's a fee paid by the seller. had you shown up with cash you would have the same protection as you would had you paid via credit card. in other words a credit card PayPal payment offers no additional protection for you yet costs the seller 3%

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I shop eBay, mrpinball and RGP/pinside. I buy and sell on all. I have had people want to negotiate price when they arrive AFTER using paypal. I've had people back out AFTER using PayPal. what you can't seem to admit is that you are wrong on the cash/PayPal thing. whether you check out or just show up with cash either way you can walk away from the deal. the only difference is the fee. it's a fee paid by the seller. had you shown up with cash you would have the same protection as you would had you paid via credit card. in other words a credit card PayPal payment offers no additional protection for you yet costs the seller 3%

WRONG.

Paypal has a buyer protection system in place as do credit/debit card.

If they back out, then the seller can place a "item not paid for" dispute. As you have stated a number of times ebay ALWAYS goes it favor of the seller. Ebay/Paypal will then go in the sellers favour thus he/she gets the listing fee back & FVF credited back to their account.

Win, win for the seller if the buyer pulls ot.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

Right.. if you list a table on ebay & I pay via paypal I can then collect/pay for the item then place a dispute. I would get the money back.

If you list on ebay & the seller pays cash they are not covered in anyway shape or form. You FAIL to see that. PayPal & paying cash are VERY far apart.

Once that physical cash has been spent, how do you (buyer) expect to get it back off me (seller)

More chance of finding rocking horse sh!t.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

WRONG.
Paypal has a buyer protection system in place as do credit/debit card.
If they back out, then the seller can place a "item not paid for" dispute. As you have stated a number of times ebay ALWAYS goes it favor of the seller. Ebay/Paypal will then go in the sellers favour thus he/she gets the listing fee back & FVF credited back to their account.
Win, win for the seller if the buyer pulls ot.

WRONG!!!!

cash offers the same protection. it's called keep your wallet in your pocket. with my way you show up and if you don't like it you leave with no funds being spent. with your way you pay, show up, refuse the purchase, go thru eBay buyer protection then get your money. as I said earlier Paypal offers no additional protection over cash

#29 11 years ago

You enter into a binding contract for the purchase on an Ebay sale. As far as the buyer is concerned as long as the product is what is pictured and described, you can't really go in and negotiate after the fact. It is pure auctioning, at an in-person auction you have the same responsibility to pay up your price. The only guarantee for the seller (sort-of) is when the item is shipped. Pickup only items leave a big grey area so are risky for the seller. If the seller has indicated they accept Paypal and no other stipulations are posted in the sale, they really have no right for complaint.

Sounds to me like both the buyer and seller in this case do not have a clear understanding of the Ebay auctioning process and rules. Read the rules and understand what both parties rights and responsibilities are before you list a game or enter into a binding purchase contract. If you expect a certain method of payment as a seller, state it clearly in the items auction and if you are a buyer, know what you are getting into before you make the bid or hit the buy it now.

#30 11 years ago

See ebay terms!

You cannot accept cash as the only payment!

I challenge you to call ebay today & ask them this "If I list an item on ebay & it sells can I ask the buyer to pay me cash only"

..I asked the same & ebay staff told me "No" I also received a negative on my account because I requested "Cash on collection only" Ebay informed me to mention in further listings "allow buyers place a small amount in your paypal account & the remainder can be paid in cash"

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

WRONG!!!!
cash offers the same protection. it's called keep your wallet in your pocket. with my way you show up and if you don't like it you leave with no funds being spent. with your way you pay, show up, refuse the purchase, go thru eBay buyer protection then get your money. as I said earlier Paypal offers no additional protection over cash

I'll break this down like I'm talking to a child.

If you bought an item via ebay & it didn't turn up, yet you paid with paypal. You will get a FULL refund, be it from the seller or paypal will do it themselves.

If you bought an item off me & paid cash.. If you want your money back, you will have to bring 10 of your VERY strong friends to beat it out of me.

SEE the difference? You are NOT covered when you pay cash.

#32 11 years ago

this isn't about eBay user agreement. this is about real world. maybe the UK is different. here eBay is just another option in addition to Craigslist and the other Internet options like pinside. you can try and make it about eBays terms and user agreement but that makes me wonder if you are trolling for arguments because you are the first person, ever, in the history of mankind that has made an argument arguing FOR eBay.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

this isn't about eBay user agreement. this is about real world. maybe the UK is different. here eBay is just another option in addition to Craigslist and the other Internet options like pinside. you can try and make it about eBays terms and user agreement but that makes me wonder if you are trolling for arguments because you are the first person, ever, in the history of mankind that has made an argument arguing FOR eBay.

Lets not compare Craigslist to ebay.

Craigslist - No protection

Ebay - Protection (paypal)

HELLO!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

ou are the first person, ever, in the history of mankind that has made an argument arguing FOR eBay.

I feel proud.

Is it because I do not agree with you 1. Because you're wrong. 2. See number 1.

#35 11 years ago

didn't turn up?!? we are talking about a buyer picking it up!!! you win it at auction, you drive to the sellers house, you inspect it then you buy it! with cash! what is being lost in translation?!? my way:
you win the auction
you inspect the auction item
you either pay and leave with an inspected item or you refuse to purchase!

your way:
you win the auction
you pay
you either refuse and seek a refund thru eBay or you leave with the previously paid for item

#36 11 years ago

Ok look at it from this stand point you fall into a scam and go to look at a sweet medevil madness and have at least 10k in cash on you and get pistol whipped people rob banks for less money. this is why E-Bay will let you pay cash if you and the seller agree to it but will not be responsible if you do.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

didn't turn up?!? we are talking about a buyer picking it up!!! you win it at auction, you drive to the sellers house, you inspect it then you buy it! with cash! what is being lost in translation?!? my way:
you win the auction
your way:
you win the auction
you pay
you either refuse and seek a refund thru eBay or you leave with the previously paid for item

I've no idea where you plucked that from. Pat on the back for you.

I for one do not buy pinball machines off ebay. Point 1.

#38 11 years ago

hello!
Craigslist:
you show up
you inspect the item
you pay or don't pay
you leave

eBay (cash)
you show up
you inspect the item
you pay or don't pay
you leave

eBay (PayPal)
you pay
you show up
you inspect the item
you either leave either with the item or wanting a refund

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

Ok look at it from this stand point you fall into a scam and go to look at a sweet medevil madness and have at least 10k in cash on you and get pistol whipped people rob banks for less money. this is why E-Bay will let you pay cash if you and the seller agree to it but will not be responsible if you do.

Thus cash has NO protection at all.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

hello!
Craigslist:
you show up
you inspect the item
you pay or don't pay
you leave
eBay (cash)
you show up
you inspect the item
you pay or don't pay
you leave
eBay (PayPal)
you pay
you show up
you inspect the item
you either leave either with the item or wanting a refund

I'd rather loose $50 via paypal than $2,500 cash.

#41 11 years ago

Quote:-

Sellers have to show 'Paypal accepted' on their listings these days.

However, the subject of collections is a bit of a grey area. Sellers are advised and allowed to put cash only in the description for the following reason: A buyer can turn up at their house having paid by Paypal,take the item away and then be dishonest and open up an item not received dispute. Paypal will only accept a tracking number (recorded/special delivery etc) as proof that the item has been received by the buyer. The seller will then be forced by Paypal to refund the money leaving them out of pocket and minus their item.

This is the reason why the majority of sellers will only accept cash on collection. These kind of scams do happen regularly on ebay (ask the ebay Q&A board if you want more advice!). As a buyer you need to inspect the goods thoroughly before you part with your cash.

#42 11 years ago

at op so following your argument you WON'T purchase anywhere but eBay because a pinside, Craigslist or mrpinball could lead to the very same pistol whipping that an eBay cash purchase could.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

you win the auction
your way:
you win the auction
you pay

I for one IF I was buying a pinball would want plenty of photos & if possible a video. I also know that they are temperamental.

You're really bad at comparing!

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

at op so following your argument you WON'T purchase anywhere but eBay because a pinside, Craigslist or mrpinball could lead to the very same pistol whipping that an eBay cash purchase could.

God knows what that means..

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

As you have already established.. I'm not from the states. Guns cannot be bought from a local shop.

Nor do I use craigslist etc

I get offered 5 tables a week for doing very little.

#46 11 years ago

sttng- you are clueless or worse yet trolling for an agreement. if its is an argument then shame on you.

dwizz-if you took the time to look at the opposing side of your argument you would realize the landscape is the same. an old law school argument is to make a compelling argument for the opposing side. I think if you did you would realize that for every "pro PayPal" argument that you have made anybody could make the same argument for cash with exception for the pistol whip argument. if that truly is the mountain that you'll make your stand on then I expect you'll never be purchasing anything outside of eBay. 10k MM sales happen here and RGP too. unless of course is if these bandidos that you refer to ONLY prey on eBay.

#47 11 years ago

No I would still buy it I would just use more caution carrying around a large sum of money. You can't get a prostitute on E-Bay. Craigslist is basically a message board. People sell on E-Bay with the hopes of reaching more people and making more money, along with all the headaches of dealing with as$holes and scamers.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from dwizz:

No I would still buy it I would just use more caution carrying around a large sum of money. You can't get a prostitute on E-Bay. Craigslist is basically a message board. People sell on E-Bay with the hopes of reaching more people and making more money, along with all the headaches of dealing with as$holes and scamers.

Well said.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

sttng- you are clueless or worse yet trolling for an agreement. if its is an argument then shame on you.
dwizz-if you took the time to look at the opposing side of your argument you would realize the landscape is the same. an old law school argument is to make a compelling argument for the opposing side. I think if you did you would realize that for every "pro PayPal" argument that you have made anybody could make the same argument for cash with exception for the pistol whip argument. if that truly is the mountain that you'll make your stand on then I expect you'll never be purchasing anything outside of eBay. 10k MM sales happen here and RGP too. unless of course is if these bandidos that you refer to ONLY prey on eBay.

Is it because I do not agree with you 1. Because you're wrong. 2. See number 1.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20277727

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-pickup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.