Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by seeburg220
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“As a general rule of thumb, does Ebay suck?”

• Why YES. Yes, they do suck. 15 votes
      52%
    • You know they do, so here's another YES. 10 votes
      34%
    • There's no way they don't, so I gotta vote YES. 4 votes
      14%

(29 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I sold an item tonight on Ebay for $500. The listing had a starting bid of $400 or best offer. There was only one bidder and he used the Best Offer feature and entered $500. I never accepted the Best Offer before the auction ended. Ebay - in my favor - took the best offer bid of $500, and not the opening bid of $400. Again, only one bidder. This honestly doesn't seem fair or make sense to me. If I remember, I may have set the Best Offer feature to accept anything above $350. Don't you think it should have honored the opening bid first of $400 ? I hardly ever use Ebay anymore, because of their stupid fees and the general pita it is. I know I shouldn't complain about making more money than I was looking for. Just seems quirky to me.

#2 3 years ago

Your choice what price you accept.
    Make a difference, accept $400.
    People notice good deeds. Every time.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Your choice what price you accept.
    Make a difference, accept $400.
    People notice good deeds. Every time.

I will refund him in person, when he comes to get it, and I will sleep well tonight.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

I will refund him in person, when he comes to get it, and I will sleep well tonight.

I’m glad you’re selling that in person because if it was long distance I would seriously wonder if there was a scam involved some way. Hopefully he keeps passing the good deed forward.

#5 3 years ago

I like eBay for what it is - a useful means of buying and selling certain items. I do both. Never do auctions anymore like the old days though.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I like eBay for what it is - a useful means of buying and selling certain items. I do both. Never do auctions anymore like the old days though.

I agree. I use it with buy-it-now when I do use it, unless there’s something rare Ir w/out but it now I might try the last minute bidding once every couple years.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

I sold an item tonight on Ebay for $500. The listing had a starting bid of $400 or best offer. There was only one bidder and he used the Best Offer feature and entered $500. I never accepted the Best Offer before the auction ended. Ebay - in my favor - took the best offer bid of $500, and not the opening bid of $400. Again, only one bidder. This honestly doesn't seem fair or make sense to me. If I remember, I may have set the Best Offer feature to accept anything above $350. Don't you think it should have honored the opening bid first of $400 ? I hardly ever use Ebay anymore, because of their stupid fees and the general pita it is. I know I shouldn't complain about making more money than I was looking for. Just seems quirky to me.

If there's a bid, the best offer option goes away. If you had the auto-accept on best offers over $350, that's what happened. It will show in the final results as having one bid, but it wasn't really a bid, it was an accepted offer. The buyer wanted it for $500, so sell it to him for $500. If you hadn't had the best offer auto-accept, you might have gotten more than that with multiple bidders.

#8 3 years ago

You sound a lot like me - trying to be "fair & honest". If I was in your shoes I would wait until he comes to get the item and decide how to handle it. If he is paying in cash at the time he picks it up and it makes you feel better (once you meet him in person) just hand him some money back. If you meet him in person and you decide to just keep the $500 good for you. Follow your instincts once you hook up for delivery. That way you will be able to sleep well that night.

If it was me and the guy showed up on time and seemed like a good guy I would typically hand him the money back and say "here is a hundred back buy a nice dinner or something with it - I am happy with the $400 for that item". If he seems like a "jerk" - shows up late - or rubs you the wrong way just keep the $500 because he wasn't the type of guy that deserves to get it back anyway. When selling a lot of my attitude towards price is based on the buyer. Some people are great to work with and I treat those people different than the ones that show up with an attitude.

Regardless of how things play out just do what feels like the right thing to do. Typically your first instincts and what to follow. The fact you even posted the question here shows me your instincts are telling you something. Money is not always the most important part of a transaction.

#9 3 years ago

Keep in mind you're paying ebay fees on $500, not $400. So of that extra $100, you're only getting about $85 of it.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Keep in mind you're paying ebay fees on $500, not $400. So of that extra $100, you're only getting about $85 of it.

Exactly. eBay is a business they want the highest number to get the most money from you for their fees.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

If you hadn't had the best offer auto-accept, you might have gotten more than that with multiple bidders.

I agree. He won with an auto-accepted bid of $500. Nobody else could bid after that. The auction ended there. I'd take the $500. You are sure going to pay fees on $500.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Remember that allowing someone to pick up an item is very risky unless they pay cash. Since you will have no acceptable proof that you delivered the item, someone who pays for an eBay item with PayPal can claim they never received the item and eBay will force you to refund the money (in this case $500). Only accept CASH when someone picks up an item in person.

#13 3 years ago

I could do a very long rant about ebay and paypal.

Amazon is also a major pain now. (as a seller).

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Remember that allowing someone to pick up an item is very risky unless they pay cash. Since you will have no acceptable proof that you delivered the item, someone who pays for an eBay item with PayPal can claim they never received the item and eBay will force you to refund the money (in this case $500). Only accept CASH when someone picks up an item in person.

Acceptable proof would be a home security camera or pics showing the vehicle and person and item. Covered.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-i-don-t-know-what-to-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.