(Topic ID: 90798)

Ebay; FBI and a class "A" scammer - Northern CA - beware!!

By Hjbondar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by teletub
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

beetlejuice.gif

#1 8 years ago

Some of you might have read my early post about about an ebay scammer in Redding, California- actually turns out to be located in Sacramento, CA - about 2 hours away.

Prior post
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scam-or-no-scam-or-need-i-ask

The story got much more interesting and speaks to the benefits of this community.

As a result of my posts I was contacted by 2 separate Pinsiders. They were both offered the same machine as a second chance offer and both took it. One was an official ebay transaction and the other not. Who knows how many other victims are out there

The ebay transaction is hopefully covered by ebay - who did nothing after I reported my suspicions to them! The other involved a wire transfer and my new Pinside friend from Texas is still out the $.

However, Texas (I will leave it to him to ID himself if he'd like to tell the story as it is really unbelievable) did some fantastic research and was able to uncover the alleged(saying this for legal reasons) scammer and reported him to the local police and FBI. They were both amazed at the brashness of the alleged perp(too many police dramas to not use that term) but told him its a civil matter - good luck and his best option is to sue.

In any case, the alleged perp is either a member or a viewer of this community. He lives in Sacramento, CA and might be going by the name of Shawn Bryant as this appears to be the name associated with the account the Texas money was sent to. Ernest Wilcox is another name that seems to be associated with this scam.

The alleged perp's account has even been temporarily frozen by Wells Fargo but they can't force the return of the money.

The phone number of the alleged perp is 530-262-0686. He appears on a social media site affiliated with Shawnanigan's Arcade - also in Sacramento.

If anyone knows any more about this creep please post it or PM it to me and I will forward it to Texas. In any case - be aware of this guy who also maintains an ebay site with the name William Cox Citrus Heights,CA

#2 8 years ago

(Alleged) interstate wire fraud is a civil matter?

#3 8 years ago

that's what they said - Texas and I were equally shocked! Makes you wonder what's wrong with our legal system

#4 8 years ago

Any links to the social media for his 'arcade'? Lots of folks in the sac area willing to help!

#5 8 years ago

Fabulous - I am going to encourage Texas to join this chat and share his incredible file of info. Interestingly, I just had another PM from someone that seems to have been scammed in Norcal for a TAF. Sounds like the same guy.

#6 8 years ago

I'm in Citrus Heights thanks for the heads up, I have not seen or heard of this guy but I'll keep my eyes open for that douchbag.

Joe(acejedi)

#7 8 years ago

As always anything i can do to help, just let me know. Seems like this doesnt involve redding to much anymore as you have the guy tracked down, but if somethings comes up just shot me a pm.

#8 8 years ago

I am the one that posted the other Topic on the same issue. I messaged Hjbondar. My friend was one that was scammed on the TAF. I don't know yet if he wants any info of his revealed, but from his story Scotches was the sellers EBAY username and he went by James McMullen. Here is the link to the story,

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-helpful-is-paypal-when-you-get-scammed

#9 8 years ago

Thanks - I still owe you a beer for scouting out the empty warehouse. AceJedi - there is a business called Shawnanigans Arcade Vending Experts at 4660 Natomas Blvd in Sacramento. Does anyone in the community know of this company. It seems to be a sole proprietorship and probably a laundering front for his scam money. Also, the guy does not seem very pinball oriented. From the pictures that Texas found, he is more of an arcade, dance game pseudo rapper dude!

#10 8 years ago

I know where that is. I might be able to go scope that out tomorrow after work. I don't recall there being a vending service there. I see that the info you have also doesn't include a suite #

More info here:

http://www.bizapedia.com/ca/SHAWNANIGANS-ARCADE-VENDING-EXPERTS-INC.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/180578102064583/

The open group seems to be ran by this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/shawn.donttrip?fref=pb_other

NO clue if this is the same as shawnanigans vending! but the links are strong. Use as you may. I take no responsibility or liability. Although he posted a pic of his kids Id. Last name is Bryant....

I have a possible number......might be old though. Pm me.

Also, it looks like he may work at Scandia off of Madison in sacramento

#11 8 years ago

That seems to be the guy - along with his pal (Ernest Wilcox) if you go through his facbook posts. Ernest Wilcox was the name on the ebay account when I originally bid. He then changed it to William Cox. As you, I take no claim for liability but the info suggests this may well be the perp! Too many coincidences!!

#12 8 years ago

Hjbondar, I was scammed for a TAF he listed on ebay. He had an ebay name as Scotches. Soon after I paid him through PayPal, the communications slowed down and the message on ebay was returned because it said his ebay account was suspended The phone number you listed in your previous post 530-262-0686 is the same number he gave me. It's got to be the same guy. He said his name was James McMullen. Sacramento and Redding CA. I have filed a claim through PayPal. This guy must be very experienced in doing this. Beware everyone!
    Scammed in Texas.

#13 8 years ago

I can scope out the place in Natomas and go to Scandia off of Madison ask for the guy and play stupid like I heard he had pubs for sale and I'm looking to get into the hobby, maybe set him up and then have a bunch of the people he scammed show up at the location or something like that for the money exchange. I'm here to help if you guys need me, I will be setting up my games on Thursday in Dixon for PAGG just FYI

Joe(acejedi)

#14 8 years ago

i hope the guy isn't reading this thread. There are 500 people logged in right now and way more than that lurking right now. I'm just trying to help. honest.

#15 8 years ago

I have found 3 addresses so far he has claimed as a business site. 2 are not his, and one is a boarded up service station. Also found his gf/wife's fb page, and am monitoring a few different pages it seems he occasionally posts on.

#16 8 years ago

davewth - I am hoping he is logged in and seeing that this is not a community to be trifled with!! I have now tallied 5 pinsiders that have been scammed by him - and there are most likely others who have not seen this thread or are embarrassed to reveal their situation. I want to do everything I can to insure he is stopped and am moved by those, particularly in the Sacto area, that have offered to take this on!!!

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hjbondar:

davewth - I am hoping he is logged in and seeing that this is not a community to be trifled with!! I have now tallied 5 pinsiders that have been scammed by him - and there are most likely others who have not seen this thread or are embarrassed to reveal their situation. I want to do everything I can to insure he is stopped and am moved by those, particularly in the Sacto area, that have offered to take this on!!!

I agree we look out for each other here on Pinside and I hope he sees this thread and realizes that we are serious, You mess with one of us you mess with us all. Let me know if you need me to scope out anything for you.

Joe(acejedi)

#18 8 years ago

If you need someone to throw him in the back of a van and have him wake up tied to a chair, with his feet stuck in a block of cement. let me know, i'll make some calls.

beetlejuice.gif
    #19 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you need someone to throw him in the back of a van and have him wake up tied to a chair, with his feet stuck in a block of cement. let me know, i'll make some calls.

I'm with you on that Neo. If anyone can track him down, this garbage needs taking out - it's smelling up the joint.

#20 8 years ago

yea, but he better get his money back first. Kind of hard to get your money from someone that "disappears".

#21 8 years ago

Pinagogo scavenger hunt? First team back with Shawn & Ernest wins.

#22 8 years ago

This is Texas guy and I am willing to share everything I have. Please message me. This is the fist post I've made and can help. I have filed an official report with FBI, local police and can provide report numbers as well as contact info and addresses, photos, video and lots more. I will have to make sure your situation ties to this case first, but if it does, you'll be happy you're part of this community. Sorry I don't feel I should share publicly just yet, not until I at least know what issues are involved. Thanks

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hjbondar:

davewth - I am hoping he is logged in and seeing that this is not a community to be trifled with!!

okie dokie. someone was talking about checking out his place of "business" or something like that and i was thinking there was a chance that might foil your plans.

I wish you guys luck in getting your money back. That sucks to get scammed.

#25 8 years ago

Was the seller planning to ship the machine to you? If yes: Mail Fraud, contact the postmaster general.

#26 8 years ago

I get that with one instance the FBI wouldn't want to "waste" there time, but it seems like TX and HJbondar are pretty much able to establish a pattern with money totaling well over 10k perhaps the collected information will better pique their interest in pursuing matters.

Worst case scenario, you could try taking it to your local investigative news channel as they seem to enjoy busting scammers since it makes for good TV.

I hope everyone is made whole, however it plays out.

#27 8 years ago

this is a great community and very powerful when band together. I appreciate all those who help even though i am not involved. cheers

#28 8 years ago

Good ideas - keep them coming.

Texas talked to the Sacramento Bee)local/major daily paper - and they yawned.

Mail fraud? - Pins wont go USPS- so I think that rules that out.

Total Fraud - There have now been 5 people who have come out of the woodwork who have been scammed by the Shawn/Ernest axis of evil. Who knows how many more there are. Current info is both TAF and ACDC are being used as lures.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hjbondar:

Good ideas - keep them coming.

You were referring to the sleeping with the fishes idea there right?

#30 8 years ago

good luck with this "Civil" crap. I've been doing it for the last year and still waiting for court.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hjbondar:

Mail fraud? - Pins wont go USPS- so I think that rules that out.

For the one guy, the USPS was used to mail the keys as part of the scam. Therefore mail fraud automatically comes into play even if the game itself wasn't intended to be shipped that way.

#32 8 years ago

Maybe the local CBS' affiliate in Sacramento's Call Kurtis segment would be more helpful. Investigating a local business ripping off folks sounds like it might be right up their alley.

#33 8 years ago

Oh and this has cost me well over $10k so far and forced me to sell my TRON game. The guy lives 10 minutes from me and has also done this to multiple people but for some reason the police wont put the donut down and do some work. This was also not a pinball but a Car. The justice system is a joke in this country. Nothing about what happened to all of you or to me was "Civil". It was theft, plain and simple.

#34 8 years ago

Good idea on the local news show.

If anyone would like to see the facebook of the alleged perp it is here -

https://www.facebook.com/shawn.donttrip?fref=ufi

If you'd like to say "Hi" - it looks like he works at Scandia Family fun center - right off I80 as you head out of Sacramento towards Lake Tahoe.

His handle is Shawn don't trip - perhaps he should change it to Shawn do rip?

I would post a picture but want to respect the innocence and privacy of his young son - what a shame!

#35 8 years ago

There are 1001 ways to mess with him that don't require breaking any laws.

First up, I imagine some enterprising person would create a clone facebook account and friend all of his friends, and begin there....

#36 8 years ago

Marlboroa - Like you, I just don't get it! Texas has put together an air tight dossier on this guy. It tracks back to his bank account - how much more of a silver platter is needed to apprehend and prosecute this guy.

Perhaps a call to the Sacramento DA office is another path to take?

#37 8 years ago

The dude needs his ass kicked....

#38 8 years ago

I wonder if some other feds can help: http://www.ic3.gov/

#39 8 years ago

In my case it was because we had a contract. Since we had a contract the police said that made auto theft, fraud, deceptive trade practices and a few other things a "civil" matter. so if anyone wants free stuff just make sure you get a contract.

#40 8 years ago

Any way to turn him in for IRS fraud?

#41 8 years ago

btw75 - thanks for the link. They are already on Texas' list. This was the link the FBI sent me when they punted!

Maybe we can get Patrick Jane on the case to scam the scammer

2 weeks later
    #42 7 years ago

Quick update: we have some momentum now, things seem to be happening. Details to follow

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!