Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mmr61184
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys need some advice here saw this come up on eBay it's an original playfield. This looks like one if the nicest original playfields I have ever seen and I have been dying to get my hands on a cyclone and I know 99% of the playfields are crap. I think this is a nice candidate for a little resto. and CC that can be dropped into a project game. I definitely have no desire to get a repro if you were going to suggest that.

Can anybody see anything I these pics that they think could be an issue. I believe the lines near the jet bumpers are Mylar.

ebay.com/itm/221388457953?nav=SEARCH

#2 10 years ago

PF appears to have some hefty scratches and insert issues. When you remove the mylar up top you'll lose the "Adv. Ferris Wheel Bonus" text on the insert under mylar in pop bumper area.
For the right price, I'm w/ you on wanting an original vs. repro on this PF tho.
Good luck!

#3 10 years ago

Yeah the insert scratches seem like the only major issue and with the right PF guy i am sure this can be fixed up. I have been told these are a bitch to work on though luckily it looks like the scratch is contained to the solid colors.

Quoted from mrofnoc:

When you remove the mylar up top you'll lose the "Adv. Ferris Wheel Bonus" text on the insert under mylar in pop bumper area.

Even with the proven duster spray method?

#4 10 years ago

System 11's generally don't take kindly to having the mylar lifted. It might be different for this PF which was never installed. Unfortunately, you can also see planking in the playfield paint in several of the grey areas which speaks to how this PF might have been stored. Which may also mean you'll have a color mismatch of the grey after lifting the mylar. There are a few other scratches you can see in other spots on the PF besides the inserts (ie look behind the guy in the red hat with the two kids facing the barker next to the Boomerang hole.) Even CPR had issues with the inserts crackling on their repros.

If you can get it for the right price it's worth it. However, if it was close to the price of a CPR repro before doing any work to it, I'd have to think long and hard about spending the money.

viperrwk

#5 10 years ago

Any idea where the planking is maybe my eyes are shot

#6 10 years ago

Who knows what that will end at. Seems to have issues in the clear inserts though. CPR still has "Silver" Cyclone fields on their site for $599. NOt sure if you wanted to spend that much, but it would already be clearcoated.

This one in the E-bay auction is actually very nice for an original used field. Strange, were they all marked at the post hole locations like this?

Chris

#7 10 years ago

I see some light planing to the left of the extra ball (Right drain , in grey). Dont screw with the mylar, viper is right it most likely wont end well on a Cylone. Matching art is a PIA on this machine.

Interested in how deep some of the scratches are, since they will imapct ball travel.

If you get the PF cheap, then its fine. But if your sitting near $500, i would go the CPR route. I know you stated you did not want a repo, but i would have no hesistation buy the CPR version of this playfield. The clearcoated playfiled breathes new life into this game.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Any idea where the planking is maybe my eyes are shot

Generally in the greys where you can see the reflection of the flash. The blue in the shooter lane looks much better. Could be a paint issue or could be the lacquer showing it's age.

Given where the bid is now and how much time is left, not sure I'd want to spend that much money without inspecting it in person.

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys I honestly thought that was just the flash didn't even think it was the paint itself.

#10 10 years ago

With the right restorer do you guys think this could be made into good quality playfield not a museum piece obviously.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

With the right restorer do you guys think this could be made into good quality playfield not a museum piece obviously.

I would think that anythign was possible if you have the money.

I would think it could be made to be very nice, yes.

Chris

#12 10 years ago

depending on what it goes for... If it goes cheap enough, you could get someone like Phoebe to fix it up and clear it and come out cheaper than a CPR and you have an original.

Or you could go the CPR route.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks guys you have all been awesome. I dot know what attracts me so much to this game but u need to add one to my collection.

#14 10 years ago

A lot of funky business with this auction. And even if you get it for say $150, depending upon what happens when you pull the mylar, you could be in for a helluva lot more work. At $300, it would be too much of a gamble for me. At that price I'd wax the hell out of it and play it as is rather than take the risk of pulling the mylar and clearing it. Regardless the inserts will always be crackled.

viperrwk

#15 10 years ago

I created the funky business I bid 325 without thinking but later retracted my bid. I actually struck a deal with the seller for a reasonable price. Worst case it becomes a piece if wall art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-cyclone-playfield-need-some-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.