TAF_blacklight.jpg
stirring-the-pot.jpg
fliptronic.jpg
sn3.jpg
sn2.jpg
sn1.jpg
sn.jpg
popcorn-gif-23.gif
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballdoc:

The research we did, was we went to the AFG registry owners list, and looked at the serial number of 979, which was only off a few #'s from 980.

Unfortunately there is no real correlation between serial number and plaque number, as the serial numbers are not sequential. The serial numbers are all over the place and I don't even think you could even get it right within 100 plaque numbers. Without the plaque there is no way to know what the real number was.

I don't believe you did anything malicious. It was an honest attempt to replace a missing part, unfortunately, it was a very important part of which was obviously incorrect. I didn't get to see the original eBay auction. But, I don't think "guessing" at a number is fair either. Maybe just sell it without the plaque or in BOLD letters describe that it is a replacement plaque that may or may not be the correct number.

Mine is missing the certificate #0017. I had a reproduction made, but I would definitely disclose that fact if I ever decide to sell.

#52 10 years ago

Again sorry for the confusion, any inconvenience, headache, comical relief, etc this has caused. Here are some more numbers..

#53 10 years ago

Again sorry for the confusion, any inconvenience, headache, comical relief, etc this has caused. Here are some more numbers..

#54 10 years ago

And here is the sticker inside the door, also note fliptronic boards which I believe the "blue models" did not have. Is there any way to track down exactly which one this is??

#55 10 years ago

Trying to upload more pics sorry for the multiple posts.

sn2.jpgsn2.jpg sn3.jpgsn3.jpg

#56 10 years ago

fliptronic boards

fliptronic.jpgfliptronic.jpg

#57 10 years ago

Ugh, I hate to stir the pot, but you do know those stickers are easily reproduced/replaced right?

When it comes to TAFG, the *ONLY* thing that really makes one unique is the plaque. Everything else is available aftermarket.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I know of two people who have made counterfeit tafg games and sold them that way

I've been waiting for this to happen and am honestly surprised it hasn't happened more. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to pull off well enough to fool even a moderately-informed buyer. As the price of pins increases, it's going to be come more and more common. If someone wants me to pay a premium for an LE, I'd want to see original receipts going back to the point of origin. Even then, how hard is it to print up a few fake receipts?

#59 10 years ago

Well, that's it then. Now we know. My biggest fear in this matter was this was going to blow up on me down the road if I sold mine. I can imagine a rabid buyer accusing me of selling a fake or the buyer of the other game doing the same. It's like having a house with a cloudy title. That's the problem with these repro plaque's , these numbers aren't arbitrary like on Cactus Canyon. Anyway my title is now clear and this horse is dead. Thanks, I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else but I'm not that naïve.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

I hate to stir the pot, but

I love ending a line with "but"

stirring-the-pot.jpgstirring-the-pot.jpg

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Ugh, I hate to stir the pot, but you do know those stickers are easily reproduced/replaced right?
When it comes to TAFG, the *ONLY* thing that really makes one unique is the plaque. Everything else is available aftermarket.

Do they assign serial numbers as well? Is there also a place that stamps playfields as well? To my knowledge the blue model has "protected by diamond plate" on the lower playfield. The gold model does not. I can also prove that point too with photographs.

#62 10 years ago

The production date on the playfield from 1994 helps validate when it was made, which would coordinate with TAFG production a few months later.

Brad

#63 10 years ago

Seems like an honest mistake and not an attempt to "scam" anybody. It's a shame people are all too quick to form a posse whenever something seems off.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Seems like an honest mistake and not an attempt to "scam" anybody. It's a shame people are all too quick to form a posse whenever something seems off.

For a while there I thought Fred Zimmerman started this thread.

lol

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Doc pinball, AKA Mark Wagner is well known as being the biggest joke in Indiana. Anyone that knows anything at all about pinball knows to stay away from him. His specialty is catering to uneducated first time buyers. I've met a few newbies that had purchased from him...

Please...explain? How are we a "Joke" we do buy and sell machines, yes. We do rehab and rehome them, yes. We have many repeat customers, as well as new customers. Its just like buying a car from a dealership, or from some guy off craigslist. Our machines come with a 30 day in shop warranty, as well as in person or by phone tech support for the duration of ownership. We go through our machines from head to toe. Many many times we will not get a phone call for so much as a blown fuse or bad EOS switch for many years on machines we sell... if ever. And if something does go out, lets say a display..we are quick to order a new one and get it installed. You may pay a little more, but in the interim you get a much nicer machine. As opposed to something someone is selling on craigslist, what have you. Also, the good thing about us just like a dealership, we have variety and you can test drive multiple pins before you buy. Most home owners are uneducated in pinball, so we educate them, and help THEM build their dream home gameroom. Whoever you are indy pinhead, we will continue to provide fully shopped and serviced pinballs, and continue to stay in business for many many years to come. Despite your input on this forum. And I say that as nicely as possible. Everyone is entitled to your opinion. Unless you can provide specific instances, it is neither here nor there. And just that, here say.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Apparently, so is the plaque

#67 10 years ago

Well, that's it then. Now we know. My biggest fear in this matter was this was going to blow up on me down the road if I sold mine. I can imagine a rabid buyer accusing me of selling a fake or the buyer of the other game doing the same. It's like having a house with a cloudy title. That's the problem with these repro plaque's , these numbers aren't arbitrary like on Cactus Canyon. Anyway my title is now clear and this horse is dead. Thanks, I really hope this doesn't happen to anyone else but I'm not that naïve.

#68 10 years ago

Will the real 980, please stand up .

#69 10 years ago

I thought someone said you had the number stamped on the playfield that can be seen in black light to see if it's real, so....

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Apparently, so is the plaque

Well but the reproduction plaques don't look quite right, there's still some hope!

Nothing beats documentation, sales receipts, paperwork. Sure, those can be faked too, but a 20 year old set of paperwork isn't as easy to fake.

If I were looking for a TAFG, I would want an *original* cabinet. Original PF, plastics, etc. That would be what's worth the money IMHO.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I've been waiting for this to happen and am honestly surprised it hasn't happened more. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to pull off well enough to fool even a moderately-informed buyer. As the price of pins increases, it's going to be come more and more common. If someone wants me to pay a premium for an LE, I'd want to see original receipts going back to the point of origin. Even then, how hard is it to print up a few fake receipts?

To take it a degree further, at least one person has built a MM from the ground up, using parts from a NBA:FB, parts that were available NOS or repro, and having a few parts fabricated for them, as necessary.

We want parts available to restore games. Having those parts is great, if you've got a worn game you want to breathe some new life into - but it's not so great, if you've got a significant investment in a near mint example of the game already.

To some, a well-preserved original will always be worth more than a beater that has been rebuilt from the ground up, polished, etc.

I've found most people are pretty honest in this hobby. Yeah, there are a few who aren't. That's life. We have to be educated consumers. I've a tight-knit group of friends that I've bounced pics and information about games off of for years - to get their opinion on the deal. Many times, things have been pointed out that I didn't know - or didn't notice. It's always good to have multiple opinions on things.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from royt:

My apologies royt, I really didn't mean for it to happen. If ANYONE has any doubts about yours because of the plaque that is on ours, which is now removed, or the ad that was previously posted for ours. Have them give us a call. I have no problem backing yours up at all. And again for what its worth, my sincerest apologies.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballdoc:

Do they assign serial numbers as well? Is there also a place that stamps playfields as well? To my knowledge the blue model has "protected by diamond plate" on the lower playfield. The gold model does not. I can also prove that point too with photographs.

The whole issue here is credibility and transparency. If you had come out in your ad stating that it was a reproduction LE plaque that you *thought* was the right machine#, then this would have been a non-issue.

Instead you tried to make this machine look 100%, with the wrong plaque on it with someone else's machine number. *shrug* Of course that's going to raise the rabble!

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I thought someone said you had the number stamped on the playfield that can be seen in black light to see if it's real, so....

Before I run out and buy a blacklight, can anyone actually prove with pictures that the blacklight test really does work? Any other instances with photographic proof that there is indeed a UV stamp? There is nothing online about it I am seeing. And again is it a supposed serial number, or the machines edition number?

#75 10 years ago

I have been out to doc's shop before. Nice little place and he retails some of the arcades, cocktails, and virtual pins that a buddy of mine and myself build. He is a great guy and I may even have a rough picture of the machine from when I took a tour of the facility. I definitely remember seeing it about a year ago. He has a couple of showrooms consisting of some 30 or so games, a workshop with probably room for 3-5 games in various states of repair/restoration and probably 50-80 pins which are in waiting to restore/ repair. I didn't see the thread until the mystery was solved, but he runs a good little shop/store.

#76 10 years ago

If it has the serial number visible via blacklight like this, then it could be matched with the serial number for the machine. The issue would still be verifying ultimately what the serial number tells you, do you have later production run TAF, TAFG, or possibly a hybird where it was a standard in a gold cabinet?

Brad

TAF_blacklight.jpgTAF_blacklight.jpg

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

The whole issue here is credibility and transparency. If you had come out in your ad stating that it was a reproduction LE plaque that you *thought* was the right machine#, then this would have been a non-issue.
Instead you tried to make this machine look 100%, with the wrong plaque on it with someone else's machine number. *shrug* Of course that's going to raise the rabble!

Yes and rabble is not what we were looking for. The ad has been pulled, if relisted, it will state to a T what actually went on. Again, to EVERYONE especially royt, sorry for the rabble.

#78 10 years ago

From the listing of Twilight Zone in IPDB, a quote from Pat Lawlor in regards to blacklight:

"In this listing is an image of a playfield under blacklighting, revealing a serial number. We asked Pat Lawlor why the manufacturer did this. He replies:

The reason for the serial numbers seems strange by todays standards. In 1992 Williams agreement with its distributors gave them exclusive sales right to a territory. They did not have the right to sell outside of their territory. But some were doing just that. In order to track the games origin from a distributor into the wild, the blacklight number was added. Williams knew where the game was originally shipped. If the game turned up outside of that territory, it was assumed that the distributor had 'Bootlegged' the game outside of his territory. Then it was up to management to decide what penalty to incur on the offender. Remember, this was during a time when it was PROFITABLE to sell and operate pinball machines. This practice would be laughable today because ANY sale of a pinball machine is a good sale."

Brad

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

If it has the serial number visible via blacklight like this, then it could be matched with the serial number for the machine. The issue would still be verifying ultimately what the serial number tells you, do you have later production run TAF, TAFG, or possibly a hybird where it was a standard in a gold cabinet?
Brad

You would think that they would place the uv engraving under mylar of somesort to protect it from being buffed out with pf wax and a buffer pad. I am curious about this as well. I will be getting a blacklight in the near future.

#80 10 years ago

Also, is the blacklight engraving in the same spot on ever machine? Someone stated earlier it was in the orange part above the mansion.

#81 10 years ago

Meaningless factoid: Twilight Zone has them too. Never knew till Kevin from Skit-B showed me in Tacoma.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballdoc:

Also, is the blacklight engraving in the same spot on ever machine? Someone stated earlier it was in the orange part above the mansion.

Yeah, I think it is. On Twilight Zone it's off to the right side of the big mode display.

#83 10 years ago

Not a problem pinballdoc. If I had known you were such a straight up guy, I wouldn't have contacted you immediately. My bad and I apologize to you for shooting off a canon. The cabinet decals threw me to the suspicious side. But now I know. Thanks

#84 10 years ago

Didn't an Addams Family Gold die in a fire? Can't we give Doc that #? R.I.P

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Sure, those can be faked too, but a 20 year old set of paperwork isn't as easy to fake.

If someone can turn a 5-7K profit by slapping on an aftermarket plaque, burning a chip, changing the legs and faking some paperwork, I wouldn't bet on that. Don't mean to be a killjoy but if there's enough money in it, someone will do it.

2 months later
#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Ebay link
hmmmmmmmm......

Wait a minute. Didn't we suggest to Black Light the Mansion for the serial number? I don't see that effort being tried and accounted for in the listing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

30,000 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 1,159.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

16,000 (OBO)
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-auction-281162629344-is-a-counterfeit-tafg/page/2?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.