Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gambit
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TheFlyCronenberg[1].jpg
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago

Is Air Freight an option?

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

It seems we need some sort of teleportation device to alleviate this issue. Where are we on inventing one?

They can be had on eBay.... w/ free shipping

#103 11 years ago

the teleportation device? oh it's around.. just make sure you don't get any live animals in with your teleport..

TheFlyCronenberg[1].jpgTheFlyCronenberg[1].jpg

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Dude! Stop!

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Sure! It always is. Would it be cost effective? Absolutely not.

#106 11 years ago

On the chance an EAST coast deal were to go down, I'd be interested in an RFM.

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Did I misread this or are you saying you dislike Locos Tacos? What's not to like about orange stained fingers and teeth?

I love the Locos Tacos, I just thought it would be a good joke.

#108 11 years ago

I just wish some one would buy these games and bring them to the US. We need more supply!

#109 11 years ago

Does anyone here speak Italian? I worry about the translation on the listing. Ill put in 10K. We need 3 more 10K partners. Serious. Thats 9 pins each.

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

We need 3 more 10K partners. Serious. Thats 9 pins each.

Everyone, please once again look at the list of items that vid1900 so nicely laid out on page two. Here...

$40,000 starting price.

Add 30-36% duty -> $12,000
    Add customs fees -> Let's call it $1,000, which I'm pretty certain it would be more than that.
    Brokerage fee -> Let's call it $200, which again I'm pretty certain it is more than that.
    Storage fee -> Let's call it $200, again, low I'm all but positive.
    Rental of shipping box -> Let's call it $100.

Oh yeah, and shipping... What was that, $2200?

That makes the $40,000 starting price into $55,700 minimally, and realistically I think you're going to end up with more than that. Chances are very high that 36 pinball machines won't be counted as a 'personal use' item by Customs, so you'll end up with more fees there too. You're probably looking at much closer to $60,000-$65,000 when all is said and done, and remember -- your 36 pins won't be all A list titles. You'll get a couple Cactus Canyons and then a whole bunch of broken Jurassic Parks or whatever.

If people don't believe it, go for it. I really examined this a few years ago when the prices for importing were much MUCH lower, and it didn't make any sense back then, but hey -- what do I know?

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Everyone, please once again look at the list of items that vid1900 so nicely laid out on page two. Here...

$40,000 starting price.

Add 30-36% duty -> $12,000
    Add customs fees -> Let's call it $1,000, which I'm pretty certain it would be more than that.
    Brokerage fee -> Let's call it $200, which again I'm pretty certain it is more than that.
    Storage fee -> Let's call it $200, again, low I'm all but positive.
    Rental of shipping box -> Let's call it $100.

Oh yeah, and shipping... What was that, $2200?

That makes the $40,000 starting price into $55,700 minimally, and realistically I think you're going to end up with more than that. Chances are very high that 36 pinball machines won't be counted as a 'personal use' item by Customs, so you'll end up with more fees there too. You're probably looking at much closer to $60,000-$65,000 when all is said and done, and remember -- your 36 pins won't be all A list titles. You'll get a couple Cactus Canyons and then a whole bunch of broken Jurassic Parks or whatever.

If people don't believe it, go for it. I really examined this a few years ago when the prices for importing were much MUCH lower, and it didn't make any sense back then, but hey -- what do I know?

Sorry but you are way off base. Not sure where you are grabbing those numbers from. I am seriously considering buying some. Here is a copy of the email from a customs broker I spoke to today in Seattle which is where I would have it shipped to.

It was a pleasure to speak with you today.

I found the classification for you for pinball machines, and you’ll be happy to know they import duty free, unless from Cuba or N. Korea. The classification number for your reference is 9504.30.0020. I have attached the page in the book, so you can see how it is determined.

I have also attached our Power of Attorney form, which we need to receive back before we can do the ISF entry for you. I also included our ISF form, which you can pass to your supplier. Please have them fill it out along with their forwarder, and return it to us. You can have it sent to our shared folder email address called ************ and we will take care of the ISF filing for you. Please remember that it must be done at least 24 hours prior to vessel sailing to avoid penalties with Customs.

I have also included our service fee schedule for you. For your shipment, you would need to note that the following fees would apply:

Customs Brokerage Entry Fee $125.

Customs Bond per single entry $5.50 per $1000 value with $55 min.

Duty is free, but merchandise processing fee and harbor maintenance fees still apply.

Merchandise processing fee is 0.3464% of the commercial value, with $25 min and $485 maximum per entry

Harbor maintenance fee is 0.21% of commercial value. No min, no max. This applies to ocean shipments only.

ISF (Importer Security Filing) $25

ISF bond $100

If you would like cargo insurance, I can provide you a quote on that.

These are all the guaranteed charges. If the cargo is coming in LCL, less than full container, then you should also expect to pay warehouse handling and pallet fees at the local warehouse upon pick up. Those are generally $7-$12/pallet and $5-7/cbm with a document fee of $15. Usually about a $65 min. Each warehouse charges different fees, so this is an estimate average.

Additionally, you might expect to see an exam. We would charge you any charges we get billed for the exam at cost, but we charge a coordination fee listed on the fee schedule at $35.

We can also help with a delivery quote if you need one, if you decide not to come to Seattle to pick it up yourself.

In order to handle the clearance, we will need the power of attorney, the ISF at least 24 hours prior to vessel sailing at origin, and then copies of the commercial invoice, packing list, and bill of lading after it sails, prior to arrival date, so that we can make the entry for you.

Please also know that our company has a shipping division as well, and we can help you with future moves import or export, so that you have only one place to call for all your needs. Our sister company is ********, owned by the same gentleman that owns ******. Please feel free to check out our website at ********* for more details. There are also a lot of good links and info on the resources and links tabs of the website, if you need access to government info such as Customs, and the sort.

Please respond back with some details about your company, so that I may keep my records accordingly. We look forward to working with you.

#112 11 years ago

I stand by my earlier comment... I'd be happier with $10k worth of pins purchased in America already. There is way too much risk here - mainly in machine quality. To each his own though. Risk does make life more interesting.

I figure $10k should buy two good quality newer sterns - Transformers HUO on the bash now for $4,100. And one fun B list game - all in good working order with no restoration needed.

#113 11 years ago

It is unbelievable, that this is even being considered. There is no risk/ its more of a guarantee.... that is, a guarantee that you will get a beat to shit, missing pieces, faded and blown out box that will not be working.
    I understand there are a lot of people in this hobby that have only been in it for a few months to a year or two. The mere fact is, almost all/ if not all the import pin flippers stopped doing it many years ago for a reason. If you thought the pins coming in were bad, 5-10 years ago; lets face it, those were considered nice, and they were picked over and sent here already. What you have left, is all the bottom of the barrel stuff.
    Think of it as a going out bussiness 50% sale, that has been going on for two months.... what do you think is left over.....
    You ever see a pin that is left outdoors uncovered in the elements over the summer?
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Add in 30-36% duty.
    Add in customs fee.
    Add in brokerage fee.
    Add in storage fee at dock before clearing customs.
    Add in rail freight from East Coast to wherever.
    Add in freight from rail yard to wherever you want the container delivered.
    Add in rental fee for container until you are done with it.

Bigtime plus 1 on this . . . also, what are you going to do if they ship you zero A list titles? Go to Italy and pursue your legal rights in Italy against people you may struggle to even really identify? Use an escrow agent if you do this deal and do not buy without going and seeing the machines and meeting the people.

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from cardfelon:

absocountry2 said:

Very easy to do.

How would you change the voltage?

Depends on the pin but basically swapping wires. Most manuals show this in the front. If you have a specific one it would be easier to answer.

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from cardfelon:

Sorry but you are way off base. Not sure where you are grabbing those numbers from. I am seriously considering buying some.

You're right! Go for it and tell us how it goes!

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

You're right! Go for it and tell us how it goes!

I am considering the deal. My point is people are throwing out outrageous numbers for costs associated with the deal. Your not even close so unless you have some actual factual knowledge and have done the research like I have then why post it at all?

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

I just think by the time you are done you are going to be close to market value on the good machines....and underwater on the less desireable machines

Yea, with few exceptions, I don't think the prices are that good. Plus these are probably all off-route games that will need a lot of TLC.

#119 11 years ago

They aren't cherry machines by any means based off the photos that he sent me. But for someone like myself who is trying to grow their collection and wants to put the time and effort into each machine it's not bad. This is by no means a way to get rich or make a lot of money off the deal.

#120 11 years ago

Actual numbers = $40k + $2,200 shipping + $X.

So X is debatable. But it is still $42,200 if I read everything correctly. It is very interesting to read about on here. If five people each went in, it would cost $8,440 + $X/5 each. I think we can safely figure it would be at least $9,000 each by the time you had your pins in your garage.

First you need your "people." You would need five people who could lose $9k and not even notice. Would you want to send that much to someone you didn't know for a product you haven't seen?

Eventually I guess you'd each get 7 pins and have one extra. On the surface 7 for $9,000 is really good. However, I recently picked up an eBay pin purchase for someone and it was in TERRIBLE shape. I would have felt ripped off paying over $200 for it. I think we would all agree that a portion of these games would be that ba or worse.

For $9k I could buy HUO Transformers, BDK and T2 at prices right now on bash and RPG. That would be three pretty good games. Games that I saw, inspected and picked up myself. So to me, I would rather have three games that I knew were good, no stress of wondering who was doing what with the money, shipping, customs, storage, blah, blah.

Also, hasn't anyone ever had a relative die and been left with splitting up an estate?? Family members go irrate over $1,000. What is going to happen if two really good games show up and the rest of the attractive titles are junk??

#121 11 years ago

Look guys, I've got it all figured out. The answer is TIME SHARE!

You get 400 people put $100 each. So if the games are crap, it doesn't break the bank. We can play a tournment for who gets what game first, then set up a schedule for the rotation.

Problem solved.

#122 11 years ago

Genious!!!!

#123 11 years ago

Genius!

#124 11 years ago

So bought it?

#125 11 years ago
    Quoted from cardfelon:

Your not even close so unless you have some actual factual knowledge and have done the research like I have then why post it at all? []

I did, but no one cared. I was looking into doing deals like this before I bet 95% of the people on Pinside had any machines in their houses. It didn't make sense back then, either.

But hey, go for it -- maybe it'll work out well for you!

#126 11 years ago

Hello Pinsiders. Long time lurker ... first time poster

I have personally imported 3x 20' Containers out of Italy into New Zealand. Yes, thats over 100 pinball machines.

Mainly to bolster my own personal collection (I have 100+ machines in my house at present) and to replenish the New Zealand pinball supply, which is pretty low (a lot of machines were parted out in the 1990s and early 2000s for parts)

I always import full containers (36 machines, or a few less if you ship Pin2000s)

The containers are a mixed bag. Some are ok, some are crap. Most are average. These are generally NOT COLLECTOR QUALITY MACHINES!

For you guys from the States, you would be foolish to import machines ... you have 1000's in the States as it is, there is no reason to import B-grade machines. I look on ebay.com all the time with envy at the selection and prices you guys can get. Over here, we *REALLY* don't have enough machines to go around, so I choose to import them. I am introducing a lot of new people to pinball as a hobby, I view it as doing my little bit to advance the hobby of pinball playing and collecting in NZ.

Yes, I probably make a (very) small profit on a container. But as a business man, I would make a LOT more bringing in containers of sofas (I used to import 90-100 40ft HC a year of furniture) with ZERO EFFORT. Bringing all these pinball machines up to even just a "saleable standard" takes me 100's of hours. Not commercially viable IMO but it is more of a hobby to me. Plus I get a few machines for my collection that I simply can not get here in NZ, as there aren't any!

If you wanted to do it, be prepared to invest around $50,000 USD in a 20' container, and to pay for storage for 6 months while you do them up. I am lucky, I own a few warehouses with container unloading facilities I can use at no cost. Most people forget about this massive cost when they import things. It's all very well to import "cheap anything" but add on warehousing costs for 6 months and they are not cheap anymore. I've seen a lot of importers go down the toilet as they don't know the real costs of importing.

I have no idea on the import duties etc in the USA, but factor in port charges, container charges, trucking charges, devanning charges etc etc into the mix and costs go up a lot.

A group buy is asking for arguments and problems. Everyone will want the other guys machines and feel ripped. If there is ONE GUY with a spare $50,000 USD and a big warehouse he owns, it may work. But be prepared to spend 100's of man hours to make maybe $5-10k profit by the time you've finished. Hardly worth it when you live in the "garden of eden" of pinball machines ....

Just my opinion

cheers
    Dave

#127 11 years ago

Thank you very much, Dave. Welcome to pinside!

#128 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Hello Pinsiders. Long time lurker ... first time poster
    I have personally imported 3x 20' Containers out of Italy into New Zealand. Yes, thats over 100 pinball machines.

Thanks for the insight. I figured as much. I think one big appeal for those interested is the big endorphin rush they'd get opening a huge container of pinball games. But that would probably wear off once they realized how much work might be needed to get them in good shape.

Still, the notion certainly sounds appealing.

In fact, I got a call this morning from someone who claims to have access to a large warehouse of games they're looking to liquidate. If I get a chance to get a peek at the warehouse I'll be all over it, but I am not getting my hopes up just yet. It's still fun to imagine.

1 year later
    #129 10 years ago

"Its a great day for racing !" just doesnt have the same ring to it in Italian....

#130 10 years ago

Dont buy from this guy. I did a small test buy to check how his games are (i did get 3 games)
    He told me they where "Perfect". 1 game i sold for spare parts and 2 "as projects".

Also talked to someone else that did a deal with him cards and parts missing.

I was lucky and did go +-0 on the deal. I advice anyone not to buy from him.

EDIT: I forgot 1 of the games i did get wasnt the one he did send photo on... he blamed someone at the warehouse that they send the wrong game...

WARNING.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-36-pin-lot-sale/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.