Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I've been reassembling my Party Monsters and installing a full set of LED's while I'm at it.

I turned on the machine and ran the lamp checks, everything is good there. I moved to the coils/flasher check and all the coils fire but I think half of the flasher columns aren't working.

This is my first system 11(B) game, and my understanding is that the coils/flashers are multiplexed together. So if the coils are working, and some of the flashers are, where do I start checking the flashers that aren't firing?

#2 7 years ago

Start by listing all flashers that aren't working. There maybe a common power wire that broke during the disassembly causing a group of bulbs to not work.

#3 7 years ago

Ones that are not working:

Elvira Flasher (Sol 9)
Rightside/Graveyard (Sol 13)
B Board/ Dead Head (Sol14)
Boogie Monsters (Sol16)
R Return/Hot Dog/& More (Sol6C)

The rest all work.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

So I've been reassembling my Party Monsters

How far was it disassembled? Most of your problems are traced to J-2 on the aux power supply board. Did you have this connector off?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How far was it disassembled? Most of your problems are traced to J-2 on the aux power supply board. Did you have this connector off?

Just the topside was disassembled. Mainly to fix several stripped/loose posts, the middle ball gate that was keeping the ball from coming out of the Barbecue pit and to install the LED's and new rubbers. I also reconnected a few GI wires that had came loose.

I've looked over the sockets of the flash banks that aren't working, I didn't see any broken wires. None of the connectors were removed by me prior to troubleshooting the flash lamp problem. I can't say for certain if these flashers have ever worked since I've owned this machine. I've only had it just over a couple of months, and I've had it apart fixing all these little issues that were eating at my pinball OCD for about a month now.

Currently, the machine isn't all the way back together yet. Just the (new) ramps are pretty much all that is left to get put back on.

#6 7 years ago

First try reseating J-2 on the aux power supply, then retest flashers.

Quoted from Niterider:I can't say for certain if these flashers have ever worked since I've owned this machine.

If this is true then you will need to start from the beginning and troubleshoot each one on its own.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

First try reseating J-2 on the aux power supply, then retest flashers.

I actually tried that last night, I was planning on getting my multi tester out tonight and see if I can detect anything. All System 11B coils/flashers should have power to them at all times correct?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

All System 11B coils/flashers should have power to them at all times correct?

Yes they do! Try this, put one of the flashers that isn't working in test/repeat and wiggle J-4 on the master interconnect board as this connector maybe burnt or have crack solder joints on the header pins.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes they do! Try this, put one of the flashers that isn't working in test/repeat and wiggle J-4 on the master interconnect board as this connector maybe burnt or have crack solder joints on the header pins.

Tried that, nothing.

But while doing that, by accident, I hit one of the flipper buttons. I noticed that several flashlamps all flashed at the same time as I hit the flipper buttons. Not all the lamps flashed together, some that have not worked yet did flash, and some that work normally didn't flash. Some flashers have yet to light at all. (Elvira backglass, right outlane)

Deeper down the rabbit hole...

#10 7 years ago

Retest again but wiggle J-12 on the interconnect board this time.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Retest again but wiggle J-12 on the interconnect board this time.

Same results.

Using my multimeter, I found that most of the flashers are powered, regardless if they flash or not. Only the Boogiemen flashers don't seem to have any power to them. I'll run those wires down tomorrow.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Boogiemen flashers don't seem to have any power

The power for solenoid 9,10,11,12,13,15 and 16 com from the same spot on the aux p/s. Since some work there must be a break in the power wire under the p/f somewhere. For the other 4 that don't work I believe your problems are on the interconnect board. You can see if you have voltage on both sides of the white cement resistors. There also maybe cracked solder joints on the header pins on J-4, J-11 and J-12.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 45.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 49.99
$ 69.99
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eatpm-flasher-troubleshooting?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.