20150213_082721.jpg
image-109.jpg
image-244.jpg
image-842.jpg
image.jpg
image-483.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Here's a video of the sound during the test
http://tinypic.com/r/k4d0jq/8

Also could I use a headphone speaker (as defog suggested) and test to see if there were any sounds at the mpu where the ribbon cable plugs in?

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from SwampMan:

Here's a video of the sound during the test
http://tinypic.com/r/k4d0jq/8
Also could I use a headphone speaker (as defog suggested) and test to see if there were any sounds at the mpu where the ribbon cable plugs in?

no, there are no sounds at the ribbon cable, only data.

Your MPU based sound is 100% working so you don't have any more problems on the MPU. The main amps on the remote sound board are working (or you still wouldn't have any sounds) Your remote sound board is not booting or the sound line on the remote sound board is not making it out of the pre-amps.

Following info is for the remote sound board;
Speech is generated at U6 and goes through 2 op amps at U18 before being mixed in at U17
Music is generated at U3 and U1 and goes through 4 op amps at U9 and U10 before being mixed in at U17
Sounds are generated at U11 and don't go through any op amps until getting mixed in at U17

U17 is also where the sounds from the MPU based speech get mixed in. (after coming over on the 4 cable harness.)

So from the looks of it it's not likely a pre-amp problem. Would say it's more likely a logic issue.

If you already replaced the CPU and eproms on the remote sound board I would change out the RAM chip next. Should be a 6116 or equivalent at U5.

#53 9 years ago

Ok, I placed a couple parts orders yesterday so now just waiting.. I really appreciate all the help I have received!! It's amazing that you guys are so willing to help, to me that's part of what makes pinball such a great hobby!!

Thanks

#54 9 years ago

Hope you got overnight shipping so you can make your DEADline!

#55 9 years ago

Lol.. No overnight so I think the DEADline could be quickly approaching..

#56 9 years ago

Ok so I got a 6116 ram chip and socket and replaced the chip at u5 and no change.. I guess it could be a capasitor? Any clue to what caps fail most on these boards? If not a cap i guess the next step would be pia chip at u12?

Also first time soldering a chip in so I included some pics incase I did something wrong..

image.jpgimage.jpg image-842.jpgimage-842.jpg image-244.jpgimage-244.jpg
#57 9 years ago

Finally have some free time!

Here whats new...

If I removed the batterys before I power on I get 4 beeps at turn on, I see that means a problem at u19. So I removed the new u19 chip and install the old chip and the same problem. Could it be that I have two bad chips or could something else be causing the u19 error?

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from SwampMan:

Finally have some free time!
Here whats new...
If I removed the batterys before I power on I get 4 beeps at turn on, I see that means a problem at u19. So I removed the new u19 chip and install the old chip and the same problem. Could it be that I have two bad chips or could something else be causing the u19 error?

could be two bad chips, could be a bad socket, but I don't think I've seen a bad socket on a system 11 sound board before.

#59 9 years ago

I reflowed the solder joints and tested the socket and everything ohmed out.

Could it be a bad 74ls139 at u14 or even a bad pia or does the four tones (bad u19) pretty much narrow the problem to the u19 chip alone?

#60 9 years ago

image-109.jpgimage-109.jpg
3 months later
#61 9 years ago

Hi - I'm from Brazil and new on this forum..... I also have an EatPM (pinballowners.com/amendes), and my machine emits no Elvira speeches whatsoever (although all the music is perfect)... taking a look at this forum history, I noticed at one post that "Elvira's speech comes from the CVSD chip on the MPU board, Dracula's speech comes from the CVSD chip on the remote sound board". So I'm wondering that if I simply exchange the "elvira" ROM I'll solve the problem.... my question is: which ROM is it (u21 or u22)?

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hi - I'm from Brazil and new on this forum..... I also have an EatPM (pinballowners.com/amendes), and my machine emits no Elvira speeches whatsoever (although all the music is perfect)... taking a look at this forum history, I noticed at one post that "Elvira's speech comes from the CVSD chip on the MPU board, Dracula's speech comes from the CVSD chip on the remote sound board". So I'm wondering that if I simply exchange the "elvira" ROM I'll solve the problem.... my question is: which ROM is it (u21 or u22)?

If Elvira is missing it's definitely on the MPU board. However it can be a bad CVSD, bad eprom, Bad op amp, Bad cap, or the 4 pin cable that sends the sounds over to the background sound board is detached. and those are the 5 likely candidates if you still have the rest of the sound effects (non music non speech). If you are also missing the sound effects it could also be a bad processor chip, bad ram, or bad PIA.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#63 9 years ago

OP, I'm curious. How much VDC do you have across the big capacitor on the power supply?

#64 9 years ago

Hey kbliznick, thanks for the reply.... I have no tech knowledge and skills, so I have to count on an professional to come and take a good look at my machine, so hopefuly I'll come back to you in a couple of weeks to let you know the outcomes after we check all these items!!!!!

#65 9 years ago

For the OP, double check all cables and connectors to make sure they are hooked up absolutely right. Since the board was removed and sent for repair, its possible you may have missed one somewhere when reinstalling the repaired board. Especially any of the connectors or ribbon cable going to the sound board from the MPU board.

Just for sanitys sake.

#66 9 years ago

Man... is my machine missing one cable?20150213_082721.jpg20150213_082721.jpg

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Man... is my machine missing one cable?

Looks like you are missing CPU J16 to SB J12 cable.

#68 9 years ago

Yeah but.... I guess that won't be the cause of my machine be missing only Elvira's voice... as far as I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this cable is responsible for the volume control, is it?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yeah but.... I guess that won't be the cause of my machine be missing only Elvira's voice... as far as I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this cable is responsible for the volume control, is it?

Pretty sure that the J2 on the soundboard (lower left cable you have plugged in) goes to the volume control in the cabinet. J1 needs the mixed signal from the CPU, without it you are likely missing the CPU generated sound.

Not sure if this will 100% solve your problems, but you need that cable installed.

Quoted from a conversation with "TheKorn" over on RGP:
On *some* system 11 games (mainly 11 & some 11A) some sound cues are generated on the CPU board, these leave the CPU board and are mixed with the other sound cues on the sound board, and then the mixed signal is returned to the CPU board to be amplified. On some other system 11 games (some 11A & 11B), the voices are generated on the CPU board, trucked over to the sound board and amplification and mixing happens there. Finally, on some 11 games (*all* 11C), absolutely nothing happens on the CPU board.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yes, you are most definitely missing a cable and this will definitely cause you to lose Elvira's voice and possibly some sound effects.

The missing cable is not for volume control.

You can remake the cable easily, It's just two 4 pin Molex connectors and some wire.

#71 9 years ago

Guys, thanks for all your help.... I already got in touch with the guy who restored my machine and he is sending me a replacement cable next week.... I do hope it solves all my problems.... I'll surely let you know when I install it!

#72 9 years ago

I check my BBBB which is Sys 11c. It does not have anything plugged into J1 either. In the manual, it list these pins as NC (no connection). So, Sys 11c does not need this cable, correct?

I need to check my Whirlwind and Big Guns to see if anything is plugged into J1 on sound board.

Where does the cable plug in from J1 on the sound board? Does it plug into the MPU? Which plug?

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

I check my BBBB which is Sys 11c. It does not have anything plugged into J1 either. In the manual, it list these pins as NC (no connection). So, Sys 11c does not need this cable, correct?
I need to check my Whirlwind and Big Guns to see if anything is plugged into J1 on sound board.
Where does the cable plug in from J1 on the sound board? Does it plug into the MPU? Which plug?

Why are you checking for problems that don't exist??

System 11C ditched all of the MPU based sound and everything sound related is on the background sound board so that cable is not needed

The cable on J1 of the sound board plugs into 1J16 on the MPU board on all system 11, 11A and 11B pins.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Why are you checking for problems that don't exist??
System 11C ditched all of the MPU based sound and everything sound related is on the background sound board so that cable is not needed
The cable on J1 of the sound board plugs into 1J16 on the MPU board on all system 11, 11A and 11B pins.

Thanks. I do have some sound issues with both BBBB and whirlwind, so I was curious about the cable.

Whirlwind is missing a lot of the speech. Sound effects work fine.

1 week later
#75 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Yes, you are most definitely missing a cable and this will definitely cause you to lose Elvira's voice and possibly some sound effects.
The missing cable is not for volume control.
You can remake the cable easily, It's just two 4 pin Molex connectors and some wire.

Hey.... the missing cable was finally installed and guess what? Now I finally get all those voices and quotes from Elvira, Dracula, the Wolfman.... it's incredible of how much stuff the game I wasn't getting!!!!

Again, thank you very much!!!!

B9UULfOIQAA8XXG.jpgB9UULfOIQAA8XXG.jpg B9UVMrpIAAAN0lr.jpgB9UVMrpIAAAN0lr.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Algonquin, IL
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 70.00
$ 45.95
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eatpm-coil-wiring/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.