IMG_0527_(resized).jpg
IMG_0526_(resized).jpg
IMG_0524_(resized).jpg
IMG_0523_(resized).jpg
IMG_0513_(resized).jpg
IMG_0522_(resized).jpg
IMG_0514_(resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

I thought that it would be cool to have the flames flicker under the cauldron on the translite, so here's a prototype I'm working on.

http://vimeo.com/94049923

#2 9 years ago

cool how did you do that ?

#3 9 years ago

I like it!

#5 9 years ago

That's awesome!

#6 9 years ago

I assume he's taken out 3-4 bulbs out of their sockets in that corner, and put some sort of LED strip in it that blinks (like some of the aftermarket kits for Sterns). I dig it, curious what the mod will cost?

#7 9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Quoted from Turboderf:

cool how did you do that ?

I made a board, lol, 1st ever. But hey it works.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I assume he's taken out 3-4 bulbs out of their sockets in that corner, and put some sort of LED strip in it that blinks (like some of the aftermarket kits for Sterns). I dig it, curious what the mod will cost?

No only one bulb. Haven't figured the costs of materials yet, since I'm still trying different size bulbs and the number used.

#8 9 years ago

I like it, put me down for one. Plug n Play? If you can get it to work on 6.3v that would be GREAT! Just plug it in to a socket back there.

#9 9 years ago

Looks nice, I was just gonna stick one of the new Comet flicker bulbs in there, but this is a more involved effect without being too distracting or over the top. With the mirrored backglass conversion coming this would be a good match.

#10 9 years ago

That looks sweet. That WOULD look really nice behind the new mirrored BG that's on the way soon, as Aurich already mentioned.

1 week later
#13 9 years ago

Nice! I want one.

#14 9 years ago

I might have kept my EATPM if it had cool flames like that....

#15 9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Any progress on this mod?

Just waiting on parts to come in. I really didn't plan to make these to sell, but a lot of people inquired, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Quoted from jathomp22:

I might have kept my EATPM if it had cool flames like that....

Hey Jason. I just checked and never send you a pm to thank you for the game, sorry. It was a hell of a road trip having to bring the 3 dogs along and the damn weather, then some health issues. Anyways, the game is still up and running great. Just needed some minor tweaks when I got her home. Thanks for the great deal on game you're a good guy to deal with.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

Just waiting on parts to come in. I really didn't plan to make these to sell, but a lot of people inquired, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Glad you decided to go with it, it's a one of a kind mod and looks great. Can you think of any other part of the bg that it would work on also?

#17 9 years ago

Put me up for one also ,very nice mod!

#18 9 years ago

Thanks Paul. I'm considering doing the brew that's in the cauldron since I saw the company has a greenish yellow flicker bulb and could just add a section to the board to be able to catch that. I ordered some to see what it'll look like. I have also considered doing the hotdog and charcoal.

#19 9 years ago

I think it looks great, I would just say that sometimes less is more, don't overdo it and ruin the effect. If it all looks good then by all means, can't hurt to try.

#20 9 years ago

This is really cool, wish I still had my EATPM... I have a CFTBL, though. I wonder if something similar would work on that translight? I would be interested in that for sure. Cool mod! Like to see pictures of your finished product.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Put me up for one also ,very nice mod!

Put me down for one also you can ship these together

#22 9 years ago

I'd be in for one as well

#23 9 years ago

PM Sent...

2 months later
1 week later
#26 9 years ago

Slow
But I did get the boards cut.

#27 9 years ago

OK, just checking if you were still doing it. Don't mean to bug you.

1 month later
#28 9 years ago

Would love one of these too...so awesome! Any update?

1 year later
#29 8 years ago

I just got my EATPM last week and am doing a rebuild and came across this thread. I had an old radio shack yule log solder kit and stuck it in the backbox and it is very similar to this effect. However, it's not quite right, so I have some parts on order and may be able to pick up where this project left off. I will post results in a week or so after the parts have arrived and I've had a chance to put it all together. Fingers crossed!

#30 8 years ago

Looking good. I'll keep an eye on this one.

1 week later
#31 7 years ago

Here's my inexpensive attempt at this mod. It's my first attempt, so it's sort of thrown together, but it works! As an alternative for the radio shack kit that is no longer available, that led me to a search that resulted in the discovery of the awesome website evilmadscientist.com

They offer some cool products as well as some very helpful tutorials on electronics projects. They have a 'flickering flame' LED kit for cheap and I bought 6 kits and started doing research and the folks over there were kind enough to share some insight and guide me to the proper parts to help with the project. These little kits are designed to run off of 2 AA batteries (3V DC), and the GI is 6.3V AC, so I had to make an AC to DC converter using 2 very small off-the-shelf components - a bridge rectifier and a capacitor to help smooth the converted signal.

In my case, I'm using the alligator clip method attached to two wires behind the light panel that run to a GI bulb. It's not elegant at the moment, but the effect is exactly what I was after. So, I connected the alligator clips to the AC inputs of the rectifier, connected the correct polarity terminals of the capacitor to the other leads of the rectifier (which was tricky because it's so tiny) and then wired three of the LED kits to the same leads on the rectifier as the capacitor. The converter takes 6.3V AC and outputs about 4.5V DC - enough to power three of the LED kits. Oh and the resistors that come with the kit need to be swapped out from 68ohm to 150ohm in order to work properly. The LEDs can be arranged in any configuration, but I chose to arrange them the same way for each kit. The white LED kits they sell will work with 4.5V DC, but who wants white fire?

At the moment, I'm happy to help anyone find parts to make their own, but I don't have the time to create a more robust solution to sell. But if you want me to whip together the same thing I made, just let me know and we can work something out.

The videos below are private links, just click on them to view.

https://vimeo.com/164779942/7a2e584ed2

https://vimeo.com/164779718/5901acfd74

IMG_0514_(resized).jpgIMG_0514_(resized).jpg
IMG_0522_(resized).jpgIMG_0522_(resized).jpg
IMG_0513_(resized).jpgIMG_0513_(resized).jpg
IMG_0523_(resized).jpgIMG_0523_(resized).jpg
IMG_0524_(resized).jpgIMG_0524_(resized).jpg
IMG_0526_(resized).jpgIMG_0526_(resized).jpg
IMG_0527_(resized).jpgIMG_0527_(resized).jpg
IMG_0528_(resized).jpgIMG_0528_(resized).jpg
IMG_0529_(resized).jpgIMG_0529_(resized).jpg
IMG_0530_(resized).jpgIMG_0530_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

Here's my inexpensive attempt at this mod. It's my first attempt, so it's sort of thrown together, but it works! As an alternative for the radio shack kit that is no longer available, that led me to a search that resulted in the discovery of the awesome website evilmadscientist.com
They offer some cool products as well as some very helpful tutorials on electronics projects. They have a 'flickering flame' LED kit for cheap and I bought 6 kits and started doing research and the folks over there were kind enough to share some insight and guide me to the proper parts to help with the project. These little kits are designed to run off of 2 AA batteries (3V DC), and the GI is 6.3V AC, so I had to make an AC to DC converter using 2 very small off-the-shelf components - a bridge rectifier and a capacitor to help smooth the converted signal.
In my case, I'm using the alligator clip method attached to two wires behind the light panel that run to a GI bulb. It's not elegant at the moment, but the effect is exactly what I was after. So, I connected the alligator clips to the AC inputs of the rectifier, connected the correct polarity terminals of the capacitor to the other leads of the rectifier (which was tricky because it's so tiny) and then wired three of the LED kits to the same leads on the rectifier as the capacitor. The converter takes 6.3V AC and outputs about 4.5V DC - enough to power three of the LED kits. Oh and the resistors that come with the kit need to be swapped out from 68ohm to 150ohm in order to work properly. The LEDs can be arranged in any configuration, but I chose to arrange them the same way for each kit. The white LED kits they sell will work with 4.5V DC, but who wants white fire?
At the moment, I'm happy to help anyone find parts to make their own, but I don't have the time to create a more robust solution to sell. But if you want me to whip together the same thing I made, just let me know and we can work something out.
The videos below are private links, just click on them to view.
» Vimeo video
» Vimeo video
IMG_0514_(resized).jpg
IMG_0522_(resized).jpg
IMG_0513_(resized).jpg
IMG_0523_(resized).jpg
IMG_0524_(resized).jpg
IMG_0526_(resized).jpg
IMG_0527_(resized).jpg
IMG_0528_(resized).jpg
IMG_0529_(resized).jpg
IMG_0530_(resized).jpg

Awesome job! Looks fantastic!

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

Here's my inexpensive attempt at this mod

I didn't think they'd be bright enough.. looks pretty nice

#34 7 years ago

Cool!

#35 7 years ago

Thanks, guys! I've now learned that the conversion circuit can power up to 10 of the little LED kits. (Not that I'd want to add that many kits to this project, but the power is there). Also, I forgot to mention that they come with a little velcro dot for easy placement on the light panel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
$ 70.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 49.99
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eatpm-cauldron-flame-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.