• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elvira_soilenoid_table_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello!

1) I picked up an EATPM this week that needs some love and as I've fixed a few things already, I can't seem to figure out why the top row and a half of backbox GI lights are not coming on.

When I got the game, I looked in the backbox and saw a typical burnt connector on the GI plug and the left-most pin connector was black and gone. I traced the wire to a 'mod' where someone stripped a section of the yellow wire going to the GI input connector and soldered the red wire there. I happened to have a correct replacement connector, so I rebuilt it and inserted the wires into the new connector and when I turned the game on, I had no backbox GI. Doing nothing else, a few min later, the previously working GI came back on, except for the top row and half of the next row down. So, I follow the wires that connect to that particular line of GI lamps and I trace it to the white wire with color bands and that is the 3rd or 4th wire inserted in my fresh connector. Shy of pulling that board and reflowing the header pins, is there anything else I should check? Seems like a straightforward circuit, but I'm waiting on my manual. Is there a fuse that handles just that portion of the backbox?

2) What is the relay board for that is screwed to the backside of the light panel? This particular board has seen better days - a previous owner had soldered a wire directly to a pin and another wire to the underside of the board. I reflowed the pins on that board and rebuilt a 2-pin connector for those two wires, but have not noticed anything working or not working since I made that fix. It does not appear to be connected to the row of GI lamps that is out, so I'm not sure what it's doing there.

3) I am noticing some Flashers are not working (both flashers under the boogie men nor the left/right outlanes). I suspect once I get the manual delivered, I can trace the switch/flasher matrix, but I haven't worked on this particular game before, mostly older Bally's. Where might I look to fixing flasher issues?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Ryan

#2 8 years ago

Go to the internet pinball data base "Ipdb" and you should be able to down load pdf manual.

#3 8 years ago

I solved the backbox GI issue by reflowing solder and rebuilding the connector for the small relay board on the back of the light panel. So far, so good!

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

Ok, I thought i was good to go, but I seem to have some flashers not firing now. In the manual is a solenoid table and I've traced some of the problems to the highlighted line items in the image below. My question is how do I determine which connector to look for? Everything on the interconnect board is J1, J2, etc, but the CPU connector numbers have a 5 in front of them. I'm not quite sure how to read this in order to try to solve the problem. Do any of these run to the relay board in the backbox (that I thought I fixed since GI is working properly in the backbox now).

Also, what am I supposed to see in test mode for coil test 10, 11, and 12? I assume 09 is the flasher behind Elvira in the BG and #12 I can visually see the relay clicking, but nothing is happening for tests 10 and 11.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

elvira_soilenoid_table_(resized).jpgelvira_soilenoid_table_(resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Ha. A blown fuse on the aux power board. And I had forgotten to plug the knocker back in. Good to go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
$ 69.99
$ 45.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 18.95
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eatpm-backbox-gi-issue-and-flasher-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.