Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Barron
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4098.JPG
PDR_1747.JPG
PDR_1731.JPG
PDR_1745.JPG
IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg
IMG_2734.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Picked up a decent ES a few months back. Played nice but needed a good cleaning. Started out simple enough but once I got in there I kept taking more and more off the play field. At this point, the cabinet is completely stripped waiting for new decals, most of the parts have been run through the cleaner and tumbler, and new ramps/plastics have been bought.

So, I need a sanity check on how far to take the play field. Its in nice condition with mylar covering a decent portion of it. After some cleaning with Novus 1, 2, and magic eraser and alcohol, it looks pretty nice. Some ball swirl and some paint wear in a few spots outside the mylar. There are some small bubbles in the mylar around some of the inserts.

Im not looking to do a complete, museum restoration but since I have it torn down Im not afraid of pulling the mylar, getting in to some pain touch up, or anything else that seems like a good idea. Also, if it is in good enough shape and it would be worth sending it out for clear coat I wouldn't rule it out.

Ive attached some photos of where Im at now with the play field. Any advice on where to go and how far would be great. This is the first machine Ive taken down to this point and so far it hasn't been too bad. Just hoping it all goes back together at some point and I can get back to playing it.

Thanks.

IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2728.jpg IMG_2729.jpg IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2731.jpg IMG_2732.jpg IMG_2733.jpg IMG_2734.jpg IMG_2735.jpg IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2737.jpg
#2 4 years ago

I'd say leave it unless you really wanna do a full on restore. From the looks of it that Mylar is gonna take a decent amount of art with it.

#3 4 years ago

Agreed , play field like that is all or nothing

#4 4 years ago

That looks like it could be the twin brother of my ES playfield, full mylar but none under the ball drops. I was just going to polish out the mylar with a Treasure Cove kit and then do a little paint touchup here and there (with a brush, airbrushing in this case wasn't necessary). Wasn't quite sure how to tackle the worn wood areas under the ball drops, whether they'd need some filler, so whatever you do please post your results.

#5 4 years ago

Ditto, I'm in the same boat... Love the game, needs lots of love

#6 4 years ago

Let me just say from experience (and from looking at condition of your mylar/inserts), YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE.

It's also hard/impossible to find someone to clear a System 11 PF. No series raised inserts in abundance? A few bubbles? Looks good to me! Play it, enjoy. Doing otherwise will make you hate the game and want it out of your life as soon as you get it looking normal again.

#7 4 years ago

You might want to compare your playfield to mine in the ReBearthshaker thread in this forum. I was able to get mine restored and cleared.

#8 4 years ago

Captainneo here on the forums does system 11 pf cc

#9 4 years ago

I have done two earthshaker playfields now, both in worse shape than yours. My advice is that if you pull the mylar, get ready for MANY hours of work. Here is an example of mylar being pulled- basically wherever you see air bubbles, you are almost guaranteed paint loss (take a look at the two pics- before and after mylar and you can see exactly where the airbubbles were). Airbubbles are typically from the heat of the bulbs. That same heat loosens the paint on the inserts.

PDR_1745.JPGPDR_1731.JPGPDR_1747.JPG

#10 4 years ago

It would be nice if Rick had let CPR do ES because it seems he isn't going to do it.

#11 4 years ago

That doesn't look as bad as the one I had. Removing the mylar will definitely pull up more artwork, especially on the inserts.

Here's what I had and the finished result:
IMG_4098.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG

#12 4 years ago

My Whirlwind is the nightmare I speak of. I overpaid ($2100) for an Earthshaker because it was the nicest playfield I had ever seen on one and my girlfriend loves that game. It looks as if the mylar was removed from mine at some point because I can kind of see lines where the edges of what I assume was factory mylar was. The color and inserts on it are flawless, though.

image.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Simpsonville, SC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside