5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

What is the easiest way to adjust the rear legs on a pinball machine for proper pitch if you don't have
    a pinball dolly at hand? Any tips?

#2 5 years ago

Crawl under the game.......use your back to lift the game....adjust each side as needed.

#3 5 years ago

Yes that's what I do

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from mezzblue:

Crawl under the game.......use your back to lift the game....adjust each side as needed.

Ditto

#5 5 years ago

Yeah same here. I fire up my level app on my iphone, putr on the playfield, crawl under the machine and lift with my back. I make some adjustments, crawl out, check the level, and repeat about a dozen f'n times.

#6 5 years ago

Ok cool about the back thing cause I thought I was the only one who did that. Better if there is a rug under there to cushion your knees.

#7 5 years ago

On all my EM games i use a 3/8" open end wrench on the nut at the lower part of the threaded stem
    and turn the leg leveler up or down and leveling the game.This is done without lifting the game with my back.

#9 5 years ago

Yep, works best... especially with other games next to it

#10 5 years ago

Bear crawl is it, that's why I bought a trolley best 300 bucks I ever spent

#11 5 years ago

There's gotta be an easier way to raise and lower without a pinball dolly and usage of back. Anyone else?

#12 5 years ago

I have the Teflon sliders under legs...games on carpet. I can turn the leg levelers up/down mostly by hand(sometimes have to use a wrench)w/out lifting. Got the Teflon sliders at Target...6mm concave I think they are. Leg leveler fits perfectly in them and makes moving and leveling a breeze....my 2cents anyway.

#13 5 years ago

Cash_Riprock is right, sliders are the way to go. I use Magic Sliders and I can adjust all the levelers by hand just by twisting the sliders, makes the whole process a million times easier and quicker. Also got them at Target.

#14 5 years ago

I have a lifter and due to the tight arrangement of games in the game room I use the bear crawl method also.
    I throw down cardboard or foam to save my knees the grief but always just do it the manual way.

#15 5 years ago

I use a Craftsman digital level. It beeps when it hits 0.0°. I use a small bottle jack with a 12" 2x4 standing longways on top of it. Jack slowly and when you hear the beep, screw the leveler into place.

Jason

#16 5 years ago

Take a bar stool or something sturdy of that height, put it right next to rear or front of pin, lift up that end and rest it on your thighs as you slightly crouch and then quickly put the stool under it.

#17 5 years ago

You can use a crow bar under the leg to take the weight off of the leveller to adjust it.

#18 5 years ago

I use a saw horse and lift up the machine and slide the saw horse under it. That keeps either the front or rear legs up off the floor so you can adjust or replace the legs or leg levelers. When done raise machine and pull saw horse out. You still have to use your back but only once to put saw horse under and once to take it out.

Al

#19 5 years ago

Ya man...
    Just use a wrench and adjust them the way they were designed to be adjusted. No need to lift anything....

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I have the Teflon sliders under legs...games on carpet

Cash, do the Teflon sliders want to curl up on the outer edges from the weight, or do they stay pretty flat? I was going to try some sliders on mine but I've seen some used for furniture that curl under prolonged weight.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

What is the easiest way to adjust the rear legs on a pinball machine for proper pitch if you don't have
    a pinball dolly at hand? Any tips?

Take your level with you under the game, lift game with your back and raise the back legs to the max and level side to side off the bottom edge of the cab.
    Move out to the front and set pitch and side to side with the front levelers.
    I am tall so I set the games as high as I can.

#22 5 years ago

I agree I have sliders on mine and can usually do them by hand without even lifting but my back is right there if I need to.

#23 5 years ago

I get down on my knees and put a pillow between my upper thigh and the bottom of the machine and then flex my foot upward, thereby lifting the machine. Pretty easy. It might help that I'm on the taller side.

#24 5 years ago

I cant believe the bear lift maneuver is being suggested. Have any of you ever thrown out your back? I use a pinball dolly but it does not get the lift needed in the back to extend back legs all the way down so I add a piece of wood to back of dolly. Not a very elegant solution by any means.

#25 5 years ago

Why do you have to lift the game to turn the leveler?? I always adjusted levelers with just a thin 3/8 inch wrench on the squared part of the bolt. With one finger you can lift or lower the weight of the machine. You still have to crawl under the game.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Why do you have to lift the game to turn the leveler?? I always adjusted levelers with just a thin 3/8 inch wrench on the squared part of the bolt. With one finger you can lift or lower the weight of the machine. You still have to crawl under the game.

I know, right?

Mechanical advantage is only an advantage when you.....TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from mezzblue:

This is what I have always done

#28 5 years ago

You don't need to lift the game at all to adjust the leg levelers, as a few others have already pointed out. I just set my digital level on the playfield, crawl under the game with my two wrenches and make the adjustments, crawl back out and check the results. Wash, rinse, repeat...until the desired result is reached.

#29 5 years ago

Some leg levelers don't have a way to grab on to them. They're just threads. No hex nut to turn on them.

#30 5 years ago

tamoore that well work grand on a new game but do that on some of the old legs from the 70s and 80s.

More than once I had to spray penetrating oil on the leveler bolts in order to turn them.

no issues with 90s or newer usually.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

tamoore that well work grand on a new game but do that on some of the old legs from the 70s and 80s.
    More than once I had to spray penetrating oil on the leveler bolts in order to turn them.
    no issues with 90s or newer usually.

I spend the few extra bucks and put new levelers on every game I get. I've never had a problem leveling a game.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Cash, do the Teflon sliders want to curl up on the outer edges from the weight, or do they stay pretty flat? I was going to try some sliders on mine but I've seen some used for furniture that curl under prolonged weight.

That's why I got the ones from Home Depot, the plastic is nice and thick and the rubber inside is very firm and thick. They are also the right diameter, 5 inches. I've tried a few different ones and these are the best. 8 for 9 bucks I think.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I spend the few extra bucks and put new levelers on every game I get. I've never had a problem leveling a game.

Have to get them off to replace them. Anything in this condition I do replace.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside