3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jetsons2 (resized).jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

“Easy” Pinball Machines/ Approachable For Casuals.

What are some good “Easy” Pinball Machines? I have had family visiting this week and it is plain to me that Medieval Madness is much easier to explain with some easy goals for casuals (blowing up castles), while The Simpsons Pinball Party and Jurassic Park are difficult to fathom. Furthermore… after 4 months with the game I still haven’t reached the visitor center. Going to have to change it over to 5 ball.

Most system 11s would fit that bill (High Speed, Whirlwind, Taxi), but what about DMD games? The games that have rotated through my basement that I feel fit that bill include World Cup Soccer, Fish Tales, Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars… and that’s about it. Which games… say DMD or newer would fit that bill? The clearest winner I know of is Addams Family and that’s on the list eventually, but what else?

#2 3 years ago

Austin powers

#3 3 years ago

South Park is always a solid game to show to somebody new. The core rules are simple to understand. Most of the shots are relatively easy to make and the theme/callouts are top notch.

#5 3 years ago

Scared Stiff

#6 3 years ago

The Getaway High Speed 2

#7 3 years ago

While some of the shots can be challenging, GOTG is about as easy to follow as you can have in a modern game. Select character complete lit shots. Repeat til you finish 4. Hit mini wizard mode

#8 3 years ago

I think that some older game’s are easier than the newer ones. The EM 4 Square comes to mind as pure pinball fun with easy goals. Newer games are really hard for a total new person to figure out because there are so many distractions on the playfield.

#9 3 years ago

Most EM games. Of the modern ones, Gilligans Island.

#10 3 years ago
jetsons2 (resized).jpgjetsons2 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

Theater of Magic.

#12 3 years ago

Beatles

#13 3 years ago

Big Hurt... its one hell of a clunker, but if you like baseball its a ton of fun! Very satisfying and easy to load up bases... and hit grand slams. The catchers mitt is a cool toy for the novice.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

While some of the shots can be challenging, GOTG is about as easy to follow as you can have in a modern game. Select character complete lit shots. Repeat til you finish 4. Hit mini wizard mode

That scoop for mode select / start though.....don't think I'd put that in the easy category.

#15 3 years ago

Checkpoint is a incredibly easy and satisfying for new players.

Iconically, Seawitch has so far been my guests favorite game.

#17 3 years ago

Stern's POTC - you hit a thing and it does something. Hit it more and it does that thing more.

#18 3 years ago

I actually think TAF can be pretty punishing for casuals. No ball save, lots of brutal drains off a missed shot, and multiball is usually over quick unless you have great ball control to set up those jackpots. What about some of the other 90s DMDs like NBA Fastbreak or Monster Bash?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The Getaway High Speed 2

I disagree. It is brick city if you just flail away. Anything with a straight shot up the middle. MM. SS. Transformers. Wcs94. Metallica.

#20 3 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire. I beat it all the time but I have had it a while. Still fun.

#21 3 years ago

WH2O is easy to grasp & approachable.
WW also gets played frequently by newbies/casual visitors.
Surprising me, the most approachable, and consistently played machine by the 3-11 year olds during family get togethers is the borrowed Dailed In.
Finally, Bally Surfers also gets played a lot- I think it is a combination of the slower play and the “wow” moment of zipper flippers.

#23 3 years ago

Spider Man on factory settings is the correct answer.

Almost everybody new to pinball says it's their favorite game. Cause it's easy and a long player.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I actually think TAF can be pretty punishing for casuals. No ball save, lots of brutal drains off a missed shot, and multiball is usually over quick unless you have great ball control to set up those jackpots.

So true, along with the power magnets.Three ball games can be over very quick.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I actually think TAF can be pretty punishing for casuals. No ball save, lots of brutal drains off a missed shot, and multiball is usually over quick unless you have great ball control to set up those jackpots. What about some of the other 90s DMDs like NBA Fastbreak or Monster Bash?

I picked up a FH short time ago and same thing. Easy to understand but difficult to play. WCS, AFM, MB, MM are good choices with AFM my fav. I would throw in Congo. It was designed to be on the easy side. You just start shooting things and something will happen. It was my go to game when I just wanted to flip without getting all serious. Wish I could of kept it but can't keep them all.

#27 3 years ago

Lexy Lightspeed is the best game I've ever seen at informing the player what to do. It's really easy to learn how to play it, and guests seem to be drawn to it.

#28 3 years ago

I’ve had the best luck with Iron Man and Theatre of Magic. Noobs get super stoked when Monger pops up or the ball sticks to the trunk in TOM, which also has a pretty epic multiball buildup.

#30 3 years ago

Munsters Pro is the first one that popped into my head....

#32 3 years ago

I WOULD have said Breakshot but I have a friend and her husband come over to play and the husband said it was “too easy” although he never even got multiball and couldn’t break over a million. My friend said the game seemed complicated and a bit difficult. The rules are somewhat simple, but explaining them to a casual player and having them understand the goals is different.

It comes off as wordy and complicated.
She enjoyed MNF the most. Games that are simple, rewarding and have a cool gimmick. Older guys seem to like the “old school” games.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Munsters Pro is the first one that popped into my head....

Easy to understand but it’s brutal.

#34 3 years ago

TNA was the first game that I was able to get my family to understand.

#35 3 years ago

SMB and South Park are the two that immediately come to mind. Fantastic themes, extremely easy, and both.... Not so awesome games.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Spider Man on factory settings is the correct answer.
Almost everybody new to pinball says it's their favorite game. Cause it's easy and a long player.

That was my answer too

#37 3 years ago

Another one is Champions Pub.... the general idea is super basic. It can be a frustrating game though... no shot is really safe from draining.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

World Cup Soccer 94

Have to pick this as well, followed by TAF. WCS has so much, but it's so easy to get massive points, and takes very little instruction.

I rotate between those 2, as well as Munsters LE for wind down quite often ( though Munsters can get aggressive quick)

#39 3 years ago

Monster bash has seemed to work in my house. It’s drawn more people in than any other title. I also agree w/ spiderman.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

TNA was the first game that I was able to get my family to understand.

I 100% agree. Co-op mode in TNA is the best game to play WITH your non pinball friends and family. Great music and lights with very clear objectives and goals that you complete together.

#42 3 years ago

T2.Nice fun playing game.Rules are fairly simple.Great game for the whole family to play!

#43 3 years ago

Lost in Space. Newbies fall in love with the light show, great sound effects and easy to achieve multiball. A lot of multiball and they are pumped after a single game. It's also my favorite Happy Hour game when I want to just slap a ball around and ooh and aah at the presentation.

#44 3 years ago

Revenge From Mars is easy and casuals love it very approachable.

#45 3 years ago

Anything with a central bash toy. A couple examples would be MM castle, AFM saucer, MET sparky, I even found that the goal on world cup is enjoyed by the casual player. Anything that does crazy flashing and/or loud noises will draw people to it.

#46 3 years ago

Attack from Mars
World Cup Soccer 94
No Good Gofers
The Walking Dead

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCanadianGuy:

T2.Nice fun playing game.Rules are fairly simple.Great game for the whole family to play!

Any game that requires you to take your hands off the flipper buttons and move them somewhere else isn’t too good for noobs.

#48 3 years ago

Sure anyone can approach a TNA and marvel at sound/lights or bash monger a bit on IM.

But after a game I wouldn’t equate these titles to “easy” with short ball times and low overall scores. Casuals tend to shrug and walk.

DMD - SS, WCS, MB/MM more crowd pleasing.

#49 3 years ago

Stern Playboy is a great easy game. No deep rule sets, but a lot of fun and great playfield layout with lots of multiball.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I WOULD have said Breakshot but I have a friend and her husband come over to play and the husband said it was “too easy” although he never even got multiball and couldn’t break over a million. My friend said the game seemed complicated and a bit difficult. The rules are somewhat simple, but explaining them to a casual player and having them understand the goals is different.
It comes off as wordy and complicated.
She enjoyed MNF the most. Games that are simple, rewarding and have a cool gimmick. Older guys seem to like the “old school” games.

Interesting, but if he couldn't get multiball, it's not too easy for him. Strange that one of 'em said too easy, the other complicated and difficult. Makes me wonder what you told 'em, ha...

I think the multiball is one of the great things for a beginner. No explanation is even necessary. The locks are immediately inviting to shoot for, and it's not too challenging to frustrate a beginner. It's also fun to see the balls banked / combo'd in there. I brought mine to our show one year, and could tell beginners enjoyed it: they just seemed to like to go for the multiball, no rules or explanations necessary.

I could definitely see MNF: kind of similar in regard to seeing it makes it immediately obvious what you want to do, no explanations necessary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Euless, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Union, MI
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easy-pinball-machines-approachable-for-casuals/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.