• Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pcb-connector-pitch-size-.079 (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Yeah, I know it's kind of a dumb question, but I can't figure this out anywhere. I'm more of an EM guy, so I'm not used to having these (failing) connectors on circuit boards.

I have traced several problems to sketchy connectors and want to replace all of them on at least my main board, flipper power supply board, sound board, and display board. Heck, that might be all of them now that I think about it. However, I'm used to emailing Steve at PBR and saying "I need __ and ___ for whatever game" and boom! It's in the mail. I can't figure out what name these connectors are called, what size, what type, etc. Ideally, I'd just get a full "connector replacement kit for High Speed". Where do I find such a thing, or what are the details I can use to piece one together for myself? I've heard of Marco, but haven't found any clues on the website.

#2 7 years ago

The boards in High Speed use Molex .156" connectors.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_connectors-156.htm

#3 7 years ago

Ya, Big Daddy will have you covered.

#4 7 years ago

greatplainselectronics.com, bigdaddy-enterprises.com, mouser.com, digikey.com

I really only replace any high current header pins and connectors, and the rest on an as-needed basis.

For each board, you can look at the parts list in the manual. Those will list the Williams parts numbers, and you can usually get a Molex part number from that.

But generally, for boards, you're looking at either .100" or .156" molex connectors and header pins. Some are friction lock connectors, some are not.

For plug & socket connections, most tend to be .084", although some can be .062" or .093".

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=35

These measurements are the "pitch" measurement for the connectors. In other words, the measurement between the center point of two pins. You will likely need digital calipers in order to measure this since they are only fractions of an inch.

Even though this particular size isn't used in pinball, this helps illustrate where to measure:
pcb-connector-pitch-size-.079 (resized).pngpcb-connector-pitch-size-.079 (resized).png

It will take a little while to get the hang of what sizes are which and what the molex part numbers are, but if you work with them often enough, you'll be able to recognize them by sight.

There's some good supplemental information here: http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#5 7 years ago

Brownie point for ForceFlow for the detailed connector information.

#6 7 years ago

Sweet! Thanks!

Bonus question: what gauge wire is in High Speed? Should I buy the pins for 18awg and bigger, or 20awg and smaller? From the insulation, it looks to be about 18 gauge, but it's tough to say.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Sweet! Thanks!
Bonus question: what gauge wire is in High Speed? Should I buy the pins for 18awg and bigger, or 20awg and smaller? From the insulation, it looks to be about 18 gauge, but it's tough to say.

Usually 18 for coils/flashers and power, 20 for switches and (usually) feature lamps.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks. That's not a cheap order for all the connectors!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Thanks. That's not a cheap order for all the connectors!

Pins are cheap. Connector housings are not. I only replace those if I really have to. Partly because of the expense, and partly because some of them are starting to become scarce. As long as they aren't IDC connectors and as long as they aren't broken or burnt, they are still good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easy-parts-supply-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.