Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“In general, does your "fun" come from playing Easy or Challenging games?”

• Challenge 54 votes
      96%
    • Easy 2 votes
      4%

(56 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fascinating.png
    #1 9 years ago

I play pinball to have fun.
    I've learned that that "fun" can come in one of two ways...

1. Sometimes I play pinball to unwind.
    2. Sometimes I play pinball to challenge myself.

On days where I'm more exhausted from work -- I reach for an EASY game with 'longer ball times', such as Space Shuttle, Sorcerer, or High Speed where I can easily earn free balls and just just unwind. These 3 games have a safe lower playfield, where it's easy to maintain control of the ball. On these days, my goal is to relax, and not HAVE to focus. The motivation is "easy winning." The wins seem to just come by playing. I'll likely win a free ball or more every 5 games or so.

On other days, when I have all my wits and energy, I play pinball to CHALLENGE myself. I reach for a ball-busting game that I almost NEVER earn free balls on, such as Centaur, Fathom, Black Hole, or Black Knight, and I play a bunch of 'short ball time' games trying to earn a free ball just once. Now the motivation is the reverse. I think it's very fun to FAIL, and I'm motivated by the intense challenge, knowing my chances are slim, and I enjoy trying harder and not giving up. I'm pushing myself to persevere. I might win a free ball every 25-50 games.

If I had to choose which kind of a player I am "in general", I would say without hesitation that...
    I'm a CHALLENGE player.

1. In general, what kind of a player are you?

2. What games do you reach for when you want a challenge? What about the playfield design makes your most challenging games difficult for you?

3. What games do you reach for when you want to unwind and not think about winning, and the free balls just seem to come for free...? What about the design makes those games easy for you?

-mof

#3 9 years ago

1) drunk.
    2) I'm not very good, so all games are really challenging for me.
    3) The EM's.

#4 9 years ago

I find challenging games to be fun. Some of my EMS are the most challenging, but the simplicity of the rules and short ball times keeps it fun.

#5 9 years ago

YES!

#6 9 years ago

Fascinating poll results so far...
    Looking forward to hearing what games people consider their most challenging and the easiest, and why...
    -mof

#7 9 years ago

both are fun. but challenging ones will make you play them more....

#8 9 years ago

Even the "easy" games can have a challenge element of sorts to them. Example: at my home arcade we have a Tri Zone which plays slow enough that a sloth with long enough arms to reach the flipper buttons could keep up. The biggest part of the strategy is "don't fall asleep." A 200K+ score is not that hard to come by; even 500K+ for me is not all that rare anymore. The challenge comes from prolonging ball times and not doing anything stupid that causes a quick drain, and ideally getting a maxed out bonus (5X 19K) or extra ball (complete TRI four times). On this particular table, a sloppily aimed drop target shot will cause the ball to go down the outlanes or sometimes even SDTM. A shot that hits the post often causes a drain. The tilt on this thing is conservative, too; anything beyond the most gentle of nudges gets you at least one "raspberry" tilt warning if not an outright tilt.

#9 9 years ago

I play all games equally, and circle aroundd my room. I never play out of turn unless people are over.

1 week later
    #10 9 years ago

Results so far. 44 of 44 people claim to be motivated more by challenge than by easy.
    Fascinating.
    More to come...
    -mof

fascinating.pngfascinating.png

#11 9 years ago

Finally, a thread where everyone loves Avengers.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I play all games equally, and circle aroundd my room. I never play out of turn unless people are over.

I like doing that too, but I'm not that guy with the spreadsheet that knows the number of plays on every machine. That's epic.
    -mof

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Finally, a thread where everyone loves Avengers.

I've never played it. What's the story on it?
    -mof

#14 9 years ago

It's challenging to enjoy it

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It's challenging to enjoy it

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/the-avengers
    ranked 86.
    86 is pretty good, what's the issue with Avengers?
    -mof

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easy-or-challenge-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.