Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Wickerman2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello and thanks for reading and I hope you can help. this is my FIRST PIN and i'm learning.. I've acquired this from the 2nd owner who has had it for 43years. its overall in good shape. I've triple coated the backglass to preserve it first thing. 2nd of changed out the bulbs to led's to update it and help the backglass and hopefully less stress on the transformers. 3rd i'm now about to remoce all plastics and stripe the playfield so I can wax it and change rubbers and replace ball.
I've got it all setup and was testing it out after swapping bulbs. however i'm in a jam and cant figure 2 simple things out that must be easy I just don't know.
1.) its a 4 player game. it is not set to free play, so you have to open the coin door and tap the pin where coins would hit to give it credits. after giving it credits (2 plays for 25cents) you can select the player numbers. so 1 quarter(credit) up to 2 players, 2 quarters(credit) for 4 players. Say I have credits on the machine and then pick my amount of players... WHAT DO I DO THEN? the game has no START button.. its just the button on the coin door that you select the player numbers.. after I select how many players I want it just sits there waiting to see if I want to add more players... SO MY QUESTION... How do I confirm the player total and start the game so the ball spits out into the shooter lane? as of right now I have to reach down under and tap on the mechanics where the ball is sitting where it stayed after the previous game was over to get it to then pop it out into the shooter lane.

NUMBER 2) GAME PLAY ISSUE. The only other issue i'm seeing is that after you shoot the ball and it goes up top the first thing it does is will either land in a red hole on left or a yellow hole on right, and then a solenoid pops it out. sometimes from time to time the right yellow one doesn't do anything and the ball will just sit in there and i'll have to slide the glass back and tap the ball then it pops it out. that gets annoying. But its only sometime maybe 1 every 5+ times of going it it that it doesn't pop back out)

3rd question is about FREE PLAY. is it better to have it in free play or leave as is with having to manually tap for credits?

and finally while we are here... get an opinion on this.. i'd say 1/3 or more of the metal parts inside the cab and head of a slight white corrosion film on them. can easily wipe off with a finger, paper towel or toothbrush. is this ok or should all of this be nowhere to be found? whats the best way to clean it off and anyway to prevent it from returning? Previous owner said its probably due to be gone over for routine maintenance.. meaning what needs done? anything to lubricate and ifso what and with what?
GAME ROOM. My game room is in my garage. its insulated except doors, and floor is epoxied, but no hvac(yet). I monitor the room temp/humidity with a digital device and so far this summer the hottest it got in there was 87deg and relative humidity no more than 67% (avg has been 60% in summer, this is North Carolina Charlotte area) I have a few silica packets laying in the cabinet to help absorb anything if that's possible, not sure though if it helps. I was told by people down here and SC that the unit should be fine in there though. A big issue was worrying about the backglass delaminating from temp changes but that's why I did the triple thick clear and LED upgrade to preserve that.

THANKS AGAIN FOR READING ALL THIS and I hope to get some answers from you to help me with this pin. So far its fun, I just get intimidated by all the wiring inside.

#2 4 years ago

Welcome aboard!

I'm sure others will chime in to help as well.

Essential for pinball repair:http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#3 4 years ago

with the mention of the white corrosion stuff and the hole not kicking all the time i would suggest cleaning the jones plugs connections and see what you gain from that.

#4 4 years ago

thanks guys but what about the game start? how to actually start it correctly after selecting player amount? thanks!!

#5 4 years ago

the button you're pushing to select player amount is the start button.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

the button you're pushing to select player amount is the start button.

you hit it once for each player. Ball should kick out in to shooter lane, if it's not, add that to the list!

#7 4 years ago

right,, you hit it once for each player..... BUT... how does it know what its ready to start? how much time is it supposed to give you to select the player amount? I hit it once for each player.. the numbers light up, 1 player, 2 player, 3 player... but how to get the game to start by the ball popping out into the shooter lane.. it sits there on this player select part waiting for me to add players... when or how is it supposed to know i'm done adding players and start the game?
thanks so much!

#8 4 years ago

also note once I manually get the ball into the shooter lane to start game, every time ball drains it pops back into shooter lane just fine. so the quesiton.. how to start the game... or... when a game is over.. is something not completing that making the ball stay in the drain when the start of adding credits and selecting players to want to start a new game. i'm puzzled why after I select my player amount nothing happens and its just waiting for me to hit the button to add more players.

#9 4 years ago

so i'm guessing.. I don't know bc I haven't seen it happen this way... as soon as you go to reset game, the reels should all reset to zero. then the ball should pop out Into the shooter lane.. then you select the number of players and just pull then plunger when ready to start the game? is that how it should be?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from FirstPin19:

so i'm guessing.. I don't know bc I haven't seen it happen this way... as soon as you go to reset game, the reels should all reset to zero. then the ball should pop out Into the shooter lane.. then you select the number of players and just pull then plunger when ready to start the game? is that how it should be?

Yes

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from FirstPin19:

something not completing that making the ball stay in the drain when the start of adding credits and selecting players to want to start a new game. i'm puzzled why after I select my player amount nothing happens and its just waiting for me to hit the button to add more players.

There are a dozen switches involved in that action and 1 or more could be dirty or out of adjustment. This is EM 101 unfortunately. Once the game is tuned up, all should work fine with regular play.

I would put an add with pinball and EM repair on craigslist. It really helps to have someone walk you through basics. Beyond that pinrepair website and youtube.

If you go in blind you likely will make things worse.

All that said, it could just be the outhole/drain switch...usually weight of the ball in drain makes switch.

Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easy-help-how-to-start-game-of-my-73-gottleib-jack-in-the-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.