(Topic ID: 60630)

East Bay City Rumble II : The Revenge (SFBA 2-Man Team Tournament)

By sosage

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by sosage
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ebcrtrophy03.png
    ebcrtrophy01.png
    ebcrtrophy02.jpg
    ebcrgrand.png
    ebcr2013-titlesmall.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

ebcr2013-titlesmall.jpgebcr2013-titlesmall.jpg

We're coming up on September, that means it's time to settle some beefs in the NorCal pinball community. East Bay City Rumble is one of the two annual team, League vs. League competitions that the East Bay Pinball League hosts every year.

The format is straight forward: Register a 2-man team. Teams are seeded into a double elimination bracket. Matches are best 2 out of 3 games, team vs. team. Games are coined up for a 4-player game. One team represents player 1 and 3 on the DMD. The other team represents players 2 and 4. When the final ball drains, player 1 and 3's scores are added together. Then player's 2 and 4. The team with the higher score wins. Lose one match you're in the loser side of the bracket. Lose a second match after that and you're out.

Grand finals are best 3 out of 5 games. True Grand Finals are best 3 out of 5 games...with the winning team members playing each other for the title of grand bad ass of NorCal.

New this year we are DOUBLING the tournament space! East Bay Pinball and Phoenix Games have pulled together resources to rent out the store front next door. That means we will have almost double the games available and a lot more room to accommodate everyone. As some of you may have noticed at Pin-A-GoGo and CAX, the East Bay Pinball crew has a ton of quality games in their reserve that they are generously willing to truck out. The machine line up is guaranteed to be varied and interesting!

Date: Saturday September 28th 2013
    Time: Store opens around 9AM. Practice open until 11:45AM. First matches called at Noon. First balls plunged by 12:15
    Fee: $30 Per Team
    Where: Phoenix Games in Concord CA

Registration: Pre-registration is *HIGHLY* encouraged. Pre-register by sending an email to pbr AT drunkentemple DOT com (at=@ dot=.), with the following info:

Team Name:
    Team Captain:
    Second Team Member:
    League/Group affiliation (if any):
    Email Address:

Pre-registration closes 9PM Friday September 27th. On-site registration opens around 9:30AM and closes 11:30AM.

Although in spirit this is a league vs. league event, you don't HAVE to represent a league or group to participate. Everyone is welcome to join in and throw down.

The official website with all the rules/info you need:
    http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble

The Pinside Event page:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/events/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-2013

#2 10 years ago

Very cool! Good luck to ya'll and the event!

#3 10 years ago

Thanks man!

Quick bump because of an update. We're moving the date from September 21st to September 28th. Otherwise, everything is the same.

Get those teams together!

2 weeks later
    #4 10 years ago

Bump for the LARGEST Team tournament EVER in the Bay Area!

EBP putting out the challenge, but haven't heard a peep from the other leagues yet. Y'all scared?!?!?

Registration fee added btw: $30 per team.

Although on-site registration will be available, it is highly recommended people pre-register just to ease organization and bracket creation. The current count on tournament machines is creeping towards 20+ and there are some pretty cool/significant titles being brought in from various EBP members. Don't miss out!

#5 10 years ago

I'll be there. Need to find a partner I guess.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

How do you of all people not have a partner yet? You must know EVERYBODY.

#7 10 years ago

I guess I should start looking.

I think for the 3-man tourney, Devon's team grabbed a hobo from the parking lot.

#8 10 years ago

Im having trouble getting the email address to work, I dont email alot is there something I need to put in front of [email protected]?

#9 10 years ago

That should be the one. If it still doesn't work, try pbr instead of ebcr. If you're still having trouble after that, you can pm me your registration.

#10 10 years ago

I want in. Partner needed. PM me if interested, or I will ask around at Pheonix on Thurs night.

Warning: I am not the best player, but I have gotten to Sea of Simulation on my Tron a few times.

#11 10 years ago

Ok looks like the [email protected] worked Thanks and see you there.

#12 10 years ago

Sounds like fun my friend. Hopefully I will be able to make it this year.

#13 10 years ago

Only 2 weeks to go. There's no where to run! Get your teams together and start practicing!

#14 10 years ago

looks like Skilly got us signed up. Look out for team "Flippin Birds"

Quoted from jonnyo:

Quoted from practicalsteve:

How do you of all people not have a partner yet? You must know EVERYBODY.

Why don't you be his partner Steve-O?

#15 10 years ago

Jeez another week gone by and I forgot to look for a partner. I meant to. I went to both SF and BAPA leagues and forgot about it altogether. Jeez.

I'm sort of hoping a really hot, desperate girl needs one too.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

Why don't you be his partner Steve-O?

I dont think I can actually make it to this, we are leaving for Mexico a couple days after that for a wedding, I have a feeling I could get very busy and would hate to have to bail on a partner at the last minute so I am not going to sign up. I am going to the tourney Jonnyo is hosting at High Life on the 24th though, that one is doable.

#17 10 years ago

Only 8 days left until the Bay Area's largest Team Tournament event EVER! We're getting teams from EBP, BAPA and even a couple rogue league-less competitors...but still no CCPL, SFPD, Belles and Chimes or Pinball Mafia!?!?

As mentioned before, we've doubled the size of the location and EBP is digging into their back-stock of tables! The tentative game-list so far:

Phoenix Games Location
    Twilight Zone
    Diner
    Tales From the Crypt
    Championship Pub
    Terminator 2
    AC/DC
    Cactus Canyon
    Surf N' Safari
    WWF Royal Rumble
    Frankenstein
    Scared Stiff

Additional Games (growing and evolving daily):
    Wizard of Oz LE
    Transformers LE
    Transporter
    Theater of Magic
    The Lord of the Rings
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Jurassic Park
    Gold Wings

Games in the Phoenix Games list are available to play NOW! So get your practice in! The additional games will not be available until the morning of the tournament.

To sign up, we just need this info emailed to either pbr or ebcr @drunkentemple.com :

Team Name:
    Team Captain:
    Second Team member:
    League/Group Affiliation (if any):
    Contact info:

More info at the website -- http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble

If you're waiting to register the day of, on site, REMEMBER! Registration closes at 11:30AM the morning of the event (September 28th). First matches announced at Noon. First balls plunged by 12:15.

#18 10 years ago

Any idea on how long the tournament will run? I'd like to go but have plans in the evening.

#19 10 years ago

I'm afraid I can't guarantee specific end times, especially with double elimination and the added play time of team format, but last year we hit grand finals at about 10PM. We like to try and get done before 10:30PM so the store front isn't open all night long...but you never know.

Anyone participating and expecting to go the distance should hope for the best, but prepare to be there late.

Fun fact no one asked for: In comparison, 3-strike tournaments that start at noon tend to end around 6-7PM. Double elimination tends to drag the time out a bit.

#20 10 years ago

Okay, that's definitely not going to work. Good luck with it.

#21 10 years ago

Partner found. See you all next Saturday!

#22 10 years ago

WoW now thats a list! its a mini pin show

#23 10 years ago

Finally updated the roster page. If you're not on the 2013 roster list, I didn't receive your information (2012 roster is listed below for posterity...so don't mistake the 2012 list for this year ).

http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble/roster.html

ALSO. I've posted my often confusing and controversial Extra Ball Rules. The short version is that you get infinite plunges, infinite flips UNTIL the ball makes contact with flipper rubber. Then the rule becomes infinite plunges, ONE FLIP. You're only allowed to flip afterwards if your one flip activates a video mode OR specific upper/lower playfield features that act like their own mode (a list will be provided).

It's meant to give Extra Ball a little more strategic value, without it being treated like a normal ball.

http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble/ebrule.html

Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

WoW now thats a list! its a mini pin show

We're getting close to doubling the machines that are typically at Phoenix Games. Lack of machines to battle on should definitely not be a problem this year.

#24 10 years ago

EBP and BAPA are making a strong showing so far, with CCPL and SFPD registrations starting to trickle in. What league wants the title of top bad asses in NorCal?!?!

Only a few days left. Just in case anyone was confused, the registration page accidentally had the wrong cut off dates. I am taking email registrations until 9PM September *27th* (you can also PM your registration to me here on Pinside). I am taking on site registrations the morning of the event (28th) until 11:30AM.

If you plan on registering on site, PLEASE don't procrastinate and show up at 11:45 looking to jump in. From 11:30 to Noon I am going to be yanking my beard out seeding the brackets.

#25 10 years ago

Team Extreme aka Outlane QA Testers will represent. Hey Stephen is it potluck? If so I will bring mac and cheese.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Team Extreme aka Outlane QA Testers will represent. Hey Stephen is it potluck? If so I will bring mac and cheese.

Not officially, but no one is gonna refuse free Mac n' Cheese. Especially since there is no lunch break planned.

#27 10 years ago

Im not eating other team prepared food NICE TRY!
    Id throw down on some pizzas

#28 10 years ago

Email registrations close TONIGHT at 9PM. On site registrations open tomorrow morning around 9-9:30AM in the secondary location and close at 11:30AM. Practice is allowed from store opening (around 9-9:30AM) till 11:45AM. Machines will be coming in, being set up, and being worked on up until the tournament begins. So please allow for techs and staff to set games up. First matches announced by noon, with first balls being plunged by 12:15.

Prizes! Top three teams are in for money and trophies. Grand Champion chain created by Wes of EBP. "How do I earn the sweet Grand Champion chain?!?" you may be asking. Well, you gotta register for the tournament first. Then, your team has to get first place. THEN, you have to beat your team mate in a 3 out of 5 game match! You think you have what it takes to become Grand Champion of NorCal? Prove it! Register!

ebcrgrand.pngebcrgrand.png
    ebcrtrophy02.jpgebcrtrophy02.jpg
    ebcrtrophy01.pngebcrtrophy01.png
    ebcrtrophy03.pngebcrtrophy03.png

#29 10 years ago

it just keeps getting better!

#30 10 years ago

Nice trophies!

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Nice trophies!

Heck yes they are! Some of the coolest pinball trophies I have seen. Very nice!

#32 10 years ago

Lets get it on!!!

#33 10 years ago

Live brackets:

http://challonge.com/ebcr2013

Check the roster page here for specific names:

http://www.eastbaypinball.org/rumble/roster.html

Roster will be updated later with a more accurate list (had some last second registrations)

#34 10 years ago

Had a BLAST! good to see familiar faces and meet new ones. my 1st pinball tournament and definitely not my last. FLIPPIN THE BIRD

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

Had a BLAST! good to see familiar faces and meet new ones. my 1st pinball tournament and definitely not my last. FLIPPIN THE BIRD

Good to see you guys. Thanks for coming out! Hopefully you can make it to our other yearly team tournament: Royale (usually February-ish) www.eastbaypinball.org/royale OR, hell, just come out to league night every once in a while.

SO! Results. It took us from noon to 12:30 at night to finally chain a grand champion. 20 teams with at least one team representing all four of the major NorCal leagues. We squeezed 28 machines into 2 locations (game list after the results). Play footage and pictures coming soon.

Grand Champion and Bad Ass of NorCal: TJ Beyer

First Place
    Smooth Operators (EBP) -- Jim/TJ

Second Place
    Double (EBP) -- David/Justin

Third Place
    Victorious Secret (EBP) -- Kevin/Heilig

Fourth Place
    Alpha Betas (EBP) -- Rich/Matt

Fifth Place
    Intoxicated When Lit (CCPL) -- Jason/Tom
    The JL's (BAPA) -- Josh/John

Seventh Place
    Bad Cats (BAPA) -- Nicole/Greg
    Full Tilt (BAPA) -- Walter/???

Ninth Place
    E-Cig Marketing Team (EBP) -- Jay/Cathy
    Diamond Arms (SFPD) -- James/Matt
    Team Extreme (SFPD) -- Johnny/Mark
    1PXG (EBP) -- Austin/Sean

Thirteenth Place
    Gnyce (EBP) -- Keith/Bryce
    Masters of the Universe (EBP) -- Aaron/Wes
    Slam Tilt Twins (BAPA) -- Chris/Darren
    Flippin the Bird (Parts Unknown) -- Dillon/Willie

Seventeenth Place
    MT (EBP) -- Mitch/Tof (Is that how you spell it?)
    Pinche Pendejos (BAPA) -- Cary/Devon
    Team Kerfuffle (BAPA) -- Chris/Selena
    Team Captain America (Parts Unknown) --

Games Played:

Cactus Canyon
    AC/DC
    Champion Pub
    Scared Stiff
    Twilight Zone
    Tales From The Crypt
    TAF (1)
    Terminator 2
    Frankenstein
    WWF Royal Rumble
    Surf N' Safari
    Diner
    Jurassic Park
    RollerGames
    Wizard of Oz LE
    Lord of the Rings
    TAF (2)
    Transporter
    WhoDunnIt
    X-Men Pro
    Medieval Madness
    Gold Wings
    Transformers LE
    Star Wars Trilogy (SEGA)
    Junkyard
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Wheel of Fortune

Also, Phoenix Games front room line up is shaking up. Word on the street is that Medieval Madness is coming back in, with X-Men and a couple others following it. If you're in the far East Bay, go on down, bring some quarters and play some good, legit, street pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/east-bay-city-rumble-ii-the-revenge-sfba-2-man-team-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.