(Topic ID: 304258)

Easiest way to remove playfield protector

By onyxx

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1ef0bb988c98540b41eab6ab8bcf350677473901 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I purchased a game with a playfield protector installed before the first ball was played and I'm thinking about removing it as it just doesn't feel right. I wan't the gameplay to be as intended with bumps and bruises. I'm thinking that I should be able to gently tear it off by removing the lower parts of the playfield and cutting the plastic protector with strong scissors, I really don't want to remove all the parts like when a protector is installed. Has anyone removed a playfield protector like this before and/or do you recommend a different approach?

#2 2 years ago

What’s the game? Some generally come off easy. Others will take the art off…easily

#3 2 years ago

The game is Guardians of the Galaxy LE.

#4 2 years ago

I used a pair of scissors to cut the one I installed off my AC/DC Luci. It worked well.

Edit: I assume we're talking about the thin clear plastic sheets that just lay over the playfield and kind of free float to some degree. I lifted an edge, slid the scissors under, and started cutting. Obviously I took care not to scratch or gouge the playfield with the scissors (I didn't let them touch the playfield). You don't wanna get too rambunctious when you're cutting.

#5 2 years ago

Just lift and cut it in pieces

#6 2 years ago

Just like I thought, thanks lads!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from onyxx:

I purchased a game with a playfield protector installed before the first ball was played and I'm thinking about removing it as it just doesn't feel right. I wan't the gameplay to be as intended with bumps and bruises. I'm thinking that I should be able to gently tear it off by removing the lower parts of the playfield and cutting the plastic protector with strong scissors, I really don't want to remove all the parts like when a protector is installed. Has anyone removed a playfield protector like this before and/or do you recommend a different approach?

Why don’t you want to keep it? They don’t seem to influence the gameplay to much, and keep on mind it will make a difference cleaning the game versus cleaning with the protector

#8 2 years ago

I just installed one on an Indiana Jones.

Here is what one looks like without the protective backing removed. This is assuming this is a PETG plastic protector. It took about 3 hours to install this and I am still troubleshooting gremlins from taking it apart and putting it back together (see IJ thread). With that said, there is nothing stopping you from cutting it out in a few specific places. However, I will caution you that it depends on how it was installed. In my case, I had to detach some of the metal guides in the back left of the field in order to slide the protector under the guide and have it flush with the playfield. If I were to cut around that area and pull, it would not come out.

If you don't want to keep it, sure, cut it out. However, you still may have to partially disassemble to get some of it out.

Good luck!

1ef0bb988c98540b41eab6ab8bcf350677473901 (resized).jpg1ef0bb988c98540b41eab6ab8bcf350677473901 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easiest-way-to-remove-playfield-protector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.