(Topic ID: 890)

Easier To Read Post

By jrrdw

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

This is a example of a post that is uncomfortable to read:

"Hi everyone, I'm new here, and don't know very much about fixing pinball machines, but I hope to learn! In my quest to figure out what's wrong with one of the only two machines I've ever played and have access to, I came across this site and hope that I can learn a few things about fixing this machine (and any others I might need to fix in the future). So the machine with the problems is my grandparent's '72 Williams Stardust EM. They got it when my mom was a kid, and I played it when I was a kid, and then a couple years ago, it started having problems where you would play a ball and as soon as it would hit something in the play field with a trigger in it, the "Wheel of Value" would go all crazy and spin all over and points would be scored just as wildly. They had a repair guy that said he wasn't too good with EMs come out and try to fix it. The guy seemed to take care of the problem, but it came back about a year or so later. It would periodically go away, come back, and go away between visits to their house. (I don't think they ever really played it while I was gone) So sometimes when I went to their house, it would play fine, and other times, it would go crazy again and I would immediately turn it off and leave it alone until next time. It had stopped with the problems and had been playing fine for a year or so, and it was good, until recently, where it would work fine when I turned on the lighting with the left flipper, like you're supposed to, and then when I hit the start button, it would reset the scores like usual and then the second reel on player 1 would get stuck at either 1 or 2 points and there would be a hum that would quickly get louder immediately after the score was reset and does not stop until the power is turned off. I turn it off after the noise starts, and upon bringing the power back on with the switch, before the lights are turned on or a game started or anything, something clicks and sounds like some thing's being released, probably in the head, and probably being the second score reel in player 1. I was back there again today, same problem, and then lifted the play field up and started a game, and there was no problem! As soon as I started to lift the play field a little bit so I can lower the support bar from the side, the arrow went all crazy again. It will also go crazy if I have the play field up with a game started, no problems, and hit a bumper or target with my finger. I assume that lifting the field is causing a leaf switch or whatever they are called to move and is being the same as manually activating one. I'm just wondering if someone else has had the same problems with one of their games and knows how to fix it. I also took videos of the problems and can upload them to YouTube if it will help anyone visualize the problems. Thanks!"

It needs sentence breaks!

Here it is again with sentence breaks:

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and don't know very much about fixing pinball machines, but I hope to learn! In my quest to figure out what's wrong with one of the only two machines I've ever played and have access to, I came across this site and hope that I can learn a few things about fixing this machine (and any others I might need to fix in the future).

So the machine with the problems is my grandparent's '72 Williams Stardust EM. They got it when my mom was a kid, and I played it when I was a kid, and then a couple years ago, it started having problems where you would play a ball and as soon as it would hit something in the play field with a trigger in it, the "Wheel of Value" would go all crazy and spin all over and points would be scored just as wildly.

They had a repair guy that said he wasn't too good with EMs come out and try to fix it. The guy seemed to take care of the problem, but it came back about a year or so later. It would periodically go away, come back, and go away between visits to their house. (I don't think they ever really played it while I was gone) So sometimes when I went to their house, it would play fine, and other times, it would go crazy again and I would immediately turn it off and leave it alone until next time.

It had stopped with the problems and had been playing fine for a year or so, and it was good, until recently, where it would work fine when I turned on the lighting with the left flipper, like you're supposed to, and then when I hit the start button, it would reset the scores like usual and then the second reel on player 1 would get stuck at either 1 or 2 points and there would be a hum that would quickly get louder immediately after the score was reset and does not stop until the power is turned off.

I turn it off after the noise starts, and upon bringing the power back on with the switch, before the lights are turned on or a game started or anything, something clicks and sounds like some thing's being released, probably in the head, and probably being the second score reel in player 1. I was back there again today, same problem, and then lifted the play field up and started a game, and there was no problem!

As soon as I started to lift the play field a little bit so I can lower the support bar from the side, the arrow went all crazy again. It will also go crazy if I have the play field up with a game started, no problems, and hit a bumper or target with my finger. I assume that lifting the field is causing a leaf switch or whatever they are called to move and is being the same as manually activating one.

I'm just wondering if someone else has had the same problems with one of their games and knows how to fix it. I also took videos of the problems and can upload them to YouTube if it will help anyone visualize the problems. Thanks!

Wasn't that easier to read? All you have to do when a break is needed is to press the "enter" key twice. One more easy thing to do is to use the spell check, I my self spell checked this post with Google spell check...Happy posting!

#2 14 years ago

First of all, I fully agree that your corrections to the post makes it way easier to read!

However, I'm not sure if opening a new thread is the way to go to make this known. Maybe it would be better next time if you could make your suggestion for some line breaks in the same thread? This also avoids cluttering the forum.

So again, good point but please make it in the same thread as the original post! And always keep the Pinside a friendly place!

#3 14 years ago

I'd have to agree with Robin to keep it friendly,
    I know if it was my first post and after asking for a little help
    I found another member using my words as some kind of example.....
    Well I'd feel uncomfortable participating again ...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/easier-to-read-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.