View topic image gallery

received_3035559526462771 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200418_182550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_190225 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_185101 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-25 at 19.23.07 (6) (resized).jpeg
92360187_145501070299038_48916829938122752_o (resized).jpg
90445715_3080957911948464_2409698178879193088_o (resized).jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I've got the money and the room for one machine, and so far the two most likely available candidates are ES and JD. If you could only have one, which would you choose? I've got a two pin collection including whichever one I end up buying, with the other game being Mousin' Around. Thoughts and advice?

Thanks-Mike

#2 4 years ago

I like Lawlor pins, but I like JD more here. It's a ton of fun. Feels like Iron Maiden to me. Fast and furious.

#3 4 years ago

Both turds

#4 4 years ago

Two games with some interesting qualities that you’ll want to be rid of within a week.

Forced to pick? I’d go with earth it has more charm and will remind you of better pat lawlor games.

#5 4 years ago

Quite a mixture of opinions so far, but the sample size is pretty small so far. I'm leaning towards JD, but I kinda bounce back and forth.

#6 4 years ago

Never been a fan of either. I guess ES

#7 4 years ago

I owned ES and still have JD. I like playing both, but they are both fairly simple to play and master. JD has more to shoot for. In a two game collection I would probably go with JD if I was forced to choose between the two titles.

#8 4 years ago

JD is the easy choice for me. It is a beautiful pin (cab, BG, and playfield), it has tons of shots, fun modes, a great multiball, lots of fast flow, and plenty of depth. It is newer and made by bally as well, so the quality is there.

JD is also rated much higher on pinside (if you pay attention to such things), so several hundreds of pinsiders feel the same.

#9 4 years ago

Someone else pointed out to me that if I went with ES then I'd only have System 11s. Whereas if I went with JD, then I'd end up having both a System 11 and a 90's Bally/Williams in my collection. That would potentially be a more balanced mix.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Someone else pointed out to me that if I went with ES then I'd only have System 11s. Whereas if I went with JD, then I'd end up having both a System 11 and a 90's Bally/Williams in my collection. That would potentially be a more balanced mix.

It’s usually a mistake to curate by checklist.

“I gotta have one X game, one Y game, etc”

You just need cool games.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

JD is the easy choice for me. It is a beautiful pin (cab, BG, and playfield), it has tons of shots, fun modes, a great multiball, lots of fast flow, and plenty of depth. It is newer and made by bally as well, so the quality is there.
JD is also rated much higher on pinside (if you pay attention to such things), so several hundreds of pinsiders feel the same.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have 30 reasons to get JD...the only reason I can see to get ES is because it's made by pat lawlor. I've never picked a pin simply because a certain person made it...

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You have 30 reasons to get JD...the only reason I can see to get ES is because it's made by pat lawlor. I've never picked a pin simply because a certain person made it...

Also wise

#13 4 years ago

It also occurs to me that you have several underpriced games on your wishlist:

LAH, baywatch, high speed, JD, JM, black rose.

I think JD and JM are the best of the bunch there too.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Someone else pointed out to me that if I went with ES then I'd only have System 11s

That’s a very noble pursuit. Collect all 30!

Both are fun games for what they are.

If the price is good, buy both!

If I hadddd to choose one, I’d probably go JD.

Cool metal soundtrack, some humour in the game (hold the side buttons at the end of the modes for some LOLs) and some multiball action. Yep, that’s what I’d do.

rd

#15 4 years ago

There’s also plenty to mod on JD, ES there’s only a few things to add.

JD, or save up and buy a more modern pin, or something.... better

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I've got the money and the room for one machine, and so far the two most likely available candidates are ES and JD. If you could only have one, which would you choose? I've got a two pin collection including whichever one I end up buying, with the other game being Mousin' Around. Thoughts and advice?
Thanks-Mike

I didn't ask before...but I am assuming you have an opportunity to get one already. What are the prices being asked for each?

I would pick JD all day, but if they want 4k for JD and 1k for ES, that changes things...

#17 4 years ago

jd for the win. only game ive owned 2x

#18 4 years ago

Judge dredd all the way!!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

There’s also plenty to mod on JD, ES there’s only a few things to add.
JD, or save up and buy a more modern pin, or something.... better

JD has a lotta bang for the buck. I really think its one of the most under priced pins out there, and it is on his wishlist.

They go for 2600-3100. What else would be a good value at that price? Getaway, wcs, whirlwind...maybe a BSD...if you could find a beat up one low enough to be at the top end of JD. None of those are on his wishlist either.

JD is ranked currently at #56. There really aren't a lot of pins that would be comparable for not much more (others than the ones I have already mentioned). In most cases, he would have to add another $1500 or more to get a "better" pin...and by that point...why not just get JD and ES?

#20 4 years ago

I think JD is a realy nice game, I dont think you regret it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's more a matter of having a variety of different types of games to keep things interesting.

Quoted from Daditude:

Well, I do actually like ES quite a bit. Not quite as much as WW, but I do actually like it. But I hear your vote for JD

Quoted from Daditude:

It also occurs to me that you have several underpriced games on your wishlist:
LAH, baywatch, high speed, JD, JM, black rose.
I think JD and JM are the best of the bunch there too.

Yeah, I need to update that list. I made it right around when I first registered, and it's probably a bit outdated. But generally my budget necessitates lower-priced pins or really good deals for the moment.

Quoted from Daditude:

I didn't ask before...but I am assuming you have an opportunity to get one already. What are the prices being asked for each?
I would pick JD all day, but if they want 4k for JD and 1k for ES, that changes things...

Well, I can get the ES for $2200. It's got new ramps, a nice playfield covered with a protector, but a rough cab. JD I'm looking at seems to be in just about perfect shape and includes topper and an unistalled dead-world mod. Guy is asking $3100, but I'm waiting to hear back from him on what his best price would be. It's been up for a couple weeks, so I'm hopefully he'd go down to at least $2900. But he's a dealer, so sometimes they don't wiggle as much on price as you or I.

#22 4 years ago

I used to have an ES and miss it and I currently own a JD. I also own a Mousin Around. I'll assume you have played and like both games (as I do) and spare you my reviews on them.

I wouldn't worry about having two System 11s in a two game collection. I love the System 11 era and actually find that I can replay those games more than the mode based games. It sounds cliche to say pick the one you have more fun with, but that's probably what it comes down to. I think I have more fun playing JD but it seems to be an easier game to come by than ES. If you think you'll add a 3rd game at some point I would grab the ES now since those tend to come up less and pick up a JD later. If you intend to just sit on two games for a while I think JD would give you nice variety.

#23 4 years ago

Yeah, the guy has said he's firm at $3100. Which he claims is below market value. His JD is in nice shape, with Deadworld mod, but 3100 still seems high to me.

#24 4 years ago

Judge Dredd all the way. Price seems about right.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, the guy has said he's firm at $3100. Which he claims is below market value. His JD is in nice shape, with Deadworld mod, but 3100 still seems high to me.

Its the upper end if the pinside market, but I had a REALLY nice one that I ended up trading for a $3500 value a few months back.

I don't think it is bad if it's a very nice example. Of course, you can always try to tempt him by offering cash, a quick pick up, bringing up that there is a pandemic that's dropping prices, bringing up any flaws it has, or that it has been sitting unsold and you are a serious buyer.

I would shoot for 2900-3000. I don't think you will get it for less than that from him.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:Judge Dredd all the way. Price seems about right.
Quoted from Daditude:

Its the upper end if the pinside market, but I had a REALLY nice one that I ended up trading for a $3500 value a few months back.
I don't think it is bad if it's a very nice example. Of course, you can always try to tempt him by offering cash, a quick pick up, bringing up that there is a pandemic that's dropping prices, bringing up any flaws it has, or that it has been sitting unsold and you are a serious buyer.
I would shoot for 2900-3000. I don't think you will get it for less than that from him.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/851363501955118/

Here's the link to the FB ad, if you wanna take a look. Hopefully, I can trust everyone to not come in and snipe the sale! I'm still debating, general consensus seems to be JD though. I'm gonna think on it for a couple days. With the uncertainty in the pinball market, I don't think I'd feel comfortable paying more than $2900. Unless someone with more expertise tells me that I'm crazy anyway! Thanks for the help everyone.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Here's the link to the FB ad, if you wanna take a look. Hopefully, I can trust everyone to not come in and snipe the sale! I'm still debating, general consensus seems to be JD though. I'm gonna think on it for a couple days. With the uncertainty in the pinball market, I don't think I'd feel comfortable paying more than $2900. Unless someone with more expertise tells me that I'm crazy anyway! Thanks for the help everyone.

It's $200 difference, and you live in South Dakota. Not exactly a hotbed of pin availability I would guess. If you are comfortable with 3100 don't see why you are terrified at 2900.

Regardless, that's fair market on a JD these days.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's $200 difference, and you live in South Dakota. Not exactly a hotbed of pin availability I would guess. If you are comfortable with 3100 don't see why you are terrified at 2900.

Or rather comfortable at 2900 and terrified at 3100! But I know what you meant! Although the other way around really would be crazy!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm with CrazyLevi on this one. I paid a little less for my JD but it's not as nice as the one you are looking at. I would totally pay $3100 for that machine.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I would agree that 3k-ish is probably the going rate for these, +/- based on condition. I don't love the rust on the ramp flap on the right ramp...I would want some better pics of the wireform and under the playfield to make sure its nothing more than that one.

I'd also get a look at the boards. If it's a clean game and he has the deadworld mod you are probably at the market price (not a "deal") price at 3000-3100. I actually took the deadworld mod off my game because the optos are real finicky in the entrance and exit and it would occasionally lose track of the balls. It looks cool but ultimately wasn't worth the annoyance...YMMV on that obviously. If the game is already LED that would help too. If you like them you are going to be another 100+ into that as a cost.

If its past your budget hard cap and makes you nervous grab the ES or wait for a cheaper JD. If you love the game I wouldn't lose it over 100 bucks.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I would agree that 3k-ish is probably the going rate for these, +/- based on condition. I don't love the rust on the ramp flap on the right ramp...I would want some better pics of the wireform and under the playfield to make sure its nothing more than that one.
I'd also get a look at the boards. If it's a clean game and he has the deadworld mod you are probably at the market price (not a "deal") price at 3000-3100. I actually took the deadworld mod off my game because the optos are real finicky in the entrance and exit and it would occasionally lose track of the balls. It looks cool but ultimately wasn't worth the annoyance...YMMV on that obviously. If the game is already LED that would help too. If you like them you are going to be another 100+ into that as a cost.
If its past your budget hard cap and makes you nervous grab the ES or wait for a cheaper JD. If you love the game I wouldn't lose it over 100 bucks.

Yeah, I mentioned that rust to him. And he said it is LED'd. Looking at the pics, it doesn't actually look like the deadworld mod is installed. A little hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like a stock deadworld to me. I think maybe he's got the mod included, but not installed, which might be better anyway then.

To elaborate a bit, I've barely played JD, so I'm not sure how much I'll like it or not. It looks like it's up my alley watching videos and playing the Pinball Arcade version, and I like the Dredd character, but actually owning one and spending a lot of time with it is a different thing. If it was a JP or a WCS or a WW, then I wouldn't sweat $100 or $200 so much.

The other telltale sign that the price is on the high-end, is that it's been for sale for 3 weeks at this price. That means that it's not a good deal, because around here any pin that's for sale at a really good price is gone in hours. When it comes time to re-sell, I don't wanna have to take a loss. Due to budget and space restrictions, I can't keep my games forever. So I have to consider resale. But it's fun to have options and to analyze this stuff. Because what else are we gonna do while we're locked-down and new pinball is hibernating.

90445715_3080957911948464_2409698178879193088_o (resized).jpg90445715_3080957911948464_2409698178879193088_o (resized).jpg
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I mentioned that rust to him. And he said it is LED'd. Looking at the pics, it doesn't actually look like the deadworld mod is installed. A little hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like a stock deadworld to me. I think maybe he's got the mod included, but not installed, which might be better anyway then.
To elaborate a bit, I've barely played JD, so I'm not sure how much I'll like it or not. It looks like it's up my alley watching videos and playing the Pinball Arcade version, and I like the Dredd character, but actually owning one and spending a lot of time with it is a different thing. If it was a JP or a WCS or a WW, then I wouldn't sweat $100 or $200 so much.
The other telltale sign that the price is on the high-end, is that it's been for sale for 3 weeks at this price. That means that it's not a good deal, because around here any pin that's for sale at a really good price is gone in hours. When it comes time to re-sell, I don't wanna have to take a loss. Due to budget and space restrictions, I can't keep my games forever. So I have to consider resale. But it's fun to have options and to analyze this stuff. Because what else are we gonna do while we're locked-down and new pinball is hibernating.[quoted image]

Ah ok, this information is actually helpful. I think you would be way better off to play the game if you can a bit before you buy it, it tends to be polarizing at least in the people I know...seems very love it or hate it. It is a widebody game that does play a bit faster and flow-ier than you would expect it to because there are no pops on it. It has the Trudeau wide flipper gap similar to GB and the outlanes can be kind of brutal on it. I like the game a lot but I got it from a buddy who bought it with no real time on it and ended up hating it (so it worked out for me ha). Not trying to talk you out of it, but I wouldn't say its a "safe" bet with no time on it, where as WCS is a good example of a game that's pretty universally enjoyable to most players. You might struggle to find a JP or WCS under 3K, but if you know you like WW already, I'd just wait for that to come up because it would be in your price range AND is my favorite game .

I'm not sure what quarantine is like in SD, but games that would normally sell have been sitting here too just because people don't want to risk the travel and interaction. I wouldn't necessarily assume that because it's been sitting 3 weeks no one wants it...it's likely that everyone is just being cautious due to the virus and the uncertainty of employment, income, and the economy right now.

#33 4 years ago

Coming from someone who loves both games and owns one of them (Dredd) I would have to go with Dredd. ES is the game that got me hooked on pinball a few years back, but if you only have room for one game you'd probably want something deeper from the DMD era. Even if Dredd isn't exectly the deepest game in the world it still has a lot going for it between the modes and multiball - not to mention supergame gives you a quasi second game.

And the soundtrack totally kicks ass, too.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I'm not sure what quarantine is like in SD, but games that would normally sell have been sitting here too just because people don't want to risk the travel and interaction. I wouldn't necessarily assume that because it's been sitting 3 weeks no one wants it...it's likely that everyone is just being cautious due to the virus and the uncertainty of employment, income, and the economy right now.

Oh yeah, my point is that people don't think it's worth buying at that price. Be it because it's overpriced, or because of the economy, or the virus threat. And I don't see that situation changing anytime soon, hence why it's a sign to me that this particular JD is at least a little overpriced at this time. Because I do see other games selling around me. In spite of the current situation.

#35 4 years ago

Believe it or not, Judge Dredd is the easier of the two to completely teardown, shop out, and put back together.

Loved my Earthshaker when I had it, but would not take it back even when my buddy offered to trade it for my High Roller Casino over the weekend.

Judge Dredd is here to stay now.

#36 4 years ago

Probably in the minority here, but I would go with earthshaker. There's not a bunch to do, as is the case with many system 11's, but it's super fun. However whichever you pick, they're both great games, so you can't go wrong. Good luck!

#37 4 years ago

I have both. 2 great pins from different times.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Oh yeah, my point is that people don't think it's worth buying at that price. Be it because it's overpriced, or because of the economy, or the virus threat. And I don't see that situation changing anytime soon, hence why it's a sign to me that this particular JD is at least a little overpriced at this time. Because I do see other games selling around me. In spite of the current situation.

Ah got ya. Well in that case it sound like ES is the answer!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

If you love the game I wouldn't lose it over 100 bucks.

I agree.

3k is about the going price. I don't think the seller is off, but I do think there is a lot of leverage with the rust and in this pandemic for negotiations. It has also been sitting online as well.

#40 4 years ago

I'll share this ad for luls. It's a Ripley's priced the same as the JD, and close by to it, but the ad and seller are sketchy as hell. FB profile of the seller literally has no information and his only friend appears to be a random woman that I question whether he actually knows. Now it could just be a profile setup to use the marketplace but IDK. When I asked for more pictures, including one with a specific image in it, he naturally is unable to do so. Doesn't have time/access, too busy, ect.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/205367690680725/

Now it could all be legitimate, but IDK seems sketchy sketchy to me.

#41 4 years ago

Haha that outlane fix!!!
Sometimes you gotta get sketchy when buying s machine. If you've never thought "oh shit I might not make it out of here alive," you've never really bought!

#42 4 years ago

Going to throw some love to ES. I have owned 2 JDs and on my 3rd and final ES.

JD was a lot of fun but for me got old fast, and that was with a cherry game with the dredd world mod. I think it’s the theme that gets old for me can’t really put my finger on it.

ES on the other hand is just a good solid design that is appealing to look at with a well thought out original theme and although easy play it is just fun. My third ES is a sample with original sinking building that has been total restored.

My vote is for ES and believe you can find a nice one in the 2 to 2.5k range.

Don

#43 4 years ago

ES is a one trick pony, spam the center ramp over and over. JD is pretty deep with modes and such.

For a 1 machine collection, it’s shocking anyone would say earthshaker.

#44 4 years ago

Between these two JD for sure. Of the pins on your want list JM over JD.

#45 4 years ago

I think you’re sweating a couple hundred $ too much and should instead focus on condition. The rust is an easy fix as long as there isn’t wider moisture issues. JD is a relatively complicated pin and can be hard to find in good condition. A lot of the negative opinions are from playing machines that are dirty, dark and have broken ramps and/or malfunctioning Deadworld. If the machine has clean boards, no significant playfield wear or insert lifting, a well functioning deadworld, and non-broken plastic ramps then $3,100 is very fair.

#46 4 years ago

Earth Shaker gets old real quick after about five games it will feel like a chore to get yourself to hit the start button .

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha that outlane fix!!!

Certainly makes it easier for kids to play!

Quoted from TheLaw:

Sometimes you gotta get sketchy when buying a machine. If you've never thought "oh shit I might not make it out of here alive," you've never really bought!

I know a lot of guys go strapped for a pin pickup, but I'd rather not risk life and limb for a Ripleys!

92360187_145501070299038_48916829938122752_o (resized).jpg92360187_145501070299038_48916829938122752_o (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

Owned both.. ES still in collection. JD was cool to look at but I hated the modes personally.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Earth Shaker gets old real quick after about five games it will feel like a chore to get yourself to hit the start button .

Unless you are drunk or high and your area is long overdue for a big earthquake. Then it kinda hits the spot.

#50 4 years ago

Get JD, its a good game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-vs-judge-dredd?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.