(Topic ID: 199990)

Earthshaker speech and sound effects stopped working

By patrickvc

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've had the board out fixing controlled lamp issues. The sounds in test were working 2 days ago. Now there is no speech or sound effects. The background music is fine but I know that comes from the soundboard while my problem is mpu related. I've checked all connectors and swapped ribbon cables just to be sure. What could I have done? I wiggled connectors in test still nothing. Also when the volume is turned all the way down it still has low volume. It doesn't shut off completely. My biggest concern though is the speech. Sucks not hearing "it's sunny drive time" or "bitchin". Please guide me. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Update. Now I can't get to sound test from the CPU switch. That was working last night and now it won't. This machine is driving me crazy

#3 6 years ago

Start with the voltage at the power connectors. Do you still have the +12v and -12v? From there, I would reseat the chips on the sound section of the MPU board and the sound card:

#4 6 years ago

I don't have the book in front of me right now. I did check the J1 connector this morning before work. I'm not sure if that's where the 12 v is but it did not have it

#5 6 years ago

On the sound test, I would not rely on the test button, but use the door switches to go through the music test, and then the sound test. The music test runs off the sound card, and the sound test runs the MPU sound section. If you get any sound from the sound test, you will know that the MPU section is at least running.

On the +12v power, J1 should not have it. It comes in on J3. But if you have background music, that shouldn't be the issue. Check for +12, and -12v on J17 of the MPU. There is a test point right under J17 you should be able to check for the +12v. Also verify the MPU sound feed to the sound board from J16 is plugged into J1 on the sound card, that's the upper of the two - four pin connections on the sound card. The lower connection should go to the shielded volume connection.

#6 6 years ago

Ok I will check later today. It's weird it worked 2 days ago. I'm afraid removing the board a lot may have a cold joint somewhere messing things up. I will check. Thankyou

#7 6 years ago

I have verified 12 volts at the test point

#8 6 years ago

I found a problem when removing the board. Apperently a small blob of solder landed on two legs of u23. Looks like I probably need a new chip

#9 6 years ago

I got lucky. Desoldered the bridge of solder between both legs. All good now

#10 6 years ago

Glad to hear it was something simple.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-speech-and-sound-effects-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.