Earthshaker Shaker motor Brushes

By seanocaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Is there a way to change the brushes on the earthshaker motor without taking the motor apart?

The shaker weights on my motor are completely seized on and are not coming off, that being said, I have to change the brushes. Does anyone know if this can be done without removing the motor from the mount and, if so, how?

#2 8 years ago

I don't think so. I drilled out the set screws on my weights. Tapped them and put in new set screws. If your weights are seized then your brushed probably are stuck too. I didn't need new brushes just had to clean them real good.

#3 8 years ago

Use a super hot soldering iron held on the set screws for a while - this should free the loctite.

#4 8 years ago

Don't bother. You can get a whole motor for like $3.00. It was years ago on here, can't remember exactly when. I ordered one for my ES and it worked perfectly.

#5 8 years ago

@pinball_erie The motor is stuck in the mount, getting a new motor does not help the sitch.

#6 8 years ago

JMOUNTJOY111, did you have to break down the motor to access the brushes?

#7 8 years ago

Yeah. You have to remove it from the base and then remove both weights. After that it will slide apart and you can disassemble the brushes and clean them. It might be difficult to separate the two halves of the motor if it is badly corroded. But all of this should allow it to move freely again. Reassemble the shaker and install in the game. Fixed mine right up.

#8 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure I changed the brushes in mine a couple of years ago and it took no time at all. No way did I open the motor.

Brushes from PBR. Popped old ones out and new in.

http://www.pbresource.com/motor.html#repair

Here, quick google found this - http://dlpinball.blogspot.com/2007/10/repairing-shaker-motor.html

#9 8 years ago

Taxman!!! You ROCK THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

#10 8 years ago

do they just pull out?

#11 8 years ago

YES THEY DO!!! flat tip screwdriver to the slot in the back of the brush

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from seanocaster:

YES THEY DO!!! flat tip screwdriver to the slot in the back of the brush

I thought so. Very cool.

#13 8 years ago

I have a new set of brushes that I got from PBR a couple years back. I never used them.
Let me know if you want them for cheap

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Turns out, you do not have to take the motor out at all.
You do have solder the new brushes on (unless you do the very cool trick of the quick disconnects shown in the link above)

#15 8 years ago

Yes, Pinside is full of a wealth of misinformation

Like I said, I did it a while ago, but it was a quick job. Pop them out and in. No taking the motor apart and no removing counter weights.

#16 8 years ago

If parts of your motor are seized wouldnt it be best to disassemble the entire motor anyways to clean it? My brushes did not need replaced but we're simply seized into the unit. They would not come out without taking apart the entire motor. I was assuming he had seized parts on his as well since that is what he alluded to.

1 week later
#17 8 years ago

Just the weights were stuck, the motor spun fine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-shaker-motor-brushes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.