(Topic ID: 184751)

Earthshaker Right Kickout Issue...Balls Stacking?

By grantopia

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Earthshaker  (resized).jpg
20170319_193606 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I'm hoping someone can help let me know if I'm going nuts or just missing something. When playing and I have a ball locked in the right kicker from shooting the shelter and then send another ball down through the shelter, the game should kick one ball back out. Everything is fine mechanically and seems to be working but the balls stack up on each other in the hole. I'm not sure if (1) the balls should stack on top of each other so the top one is ejected, (2) the kicker should fire hard enough to push the second ball back in the subway and kick the first ball out, or (3) something is wrong and the ball should be kicked out before the second ball even gets there.

Sometimes it pushes the second ball back fine and sometimes it doesn't so the game goes into the ball search and I basicaly need to manually move them until one comes out. Can someone let me know how their game behaves?

I have my match up award set to the slower setting if that helps.

20170319_193606 (resized).jpg20170319_193606 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

I read this post yesterday and my earthshaker has started doing the exact same thing. I don't have an remediation.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Uberlit:

I read this post yesterday and my earthshaker has started doing the exact same thing. I don't have an remediation.

I played around with the switch for a while and got it to where the second ball seems to now rest a bit further back than it was, so it gets knocked back when the coil fires and the first ball comes up, but I still feel like I'm missing something...or am I over estimating the design here?

#4 7 years ago

Something is wrong, and the locked ball should kick out well before the other ball gets to the kicker.

In switch test, check the subway switch for proper operation. It's possible that the microswitch is starting to flake out on you, and isn't catching the closure fast enough when the ball is rolling over it.

I circled the switch in red for you:

Earthshaker  (resized).jpgEarthshaker (resized).jpg

If that switch doesn't work, the game has no way of knowing a ball entered the shelter, and thus, won't preemptively kick out the other ball from the VUK (which is what causes the balls to stack).

Also, check for the standard stuff like: loose wires, cold solder joints, or a bad diode on the switch.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks, I was suspicious of this but wanted to understand what should be happening before I went on a wild goose chase. I'll check that and see what happens. If the match up setting is on slow, should the game behave the same? It seems like even it it hits that first switch, it takes a few seconds to cycle through and select the award, which seems like it would give the ball enough time to travel to the kicker.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

If the match up setting is on slow, should the game behave the same?

So here's how my game operates.

When "Match/Lock" Setting = Fast:

If a single ball enters the shelter, the match process is slow, and scrolls through some text before awarding something (with the light show and such)

If a ball is locked, and then another ball enters the shelter, the locked ball is ejected immediately, and a match award is instantly awarded (ie. no lightshow or scrolling).

When "Match/Lock" Setting = Slow:

The lightshow and such is still the same for a single ball entering the shelter.

If a ball is locked, and another ball enters the shelter, the balls stack, and the game continues to do the long light show and scrolling before awarding (as if there's only a single ball there). Then one ball is kicked out, and the other ball rolls forward an inch, and locks. The game then plays the "EARTHSHAKER!" call out and locks the ball.

Try setting the settings to "FAST" and see if that helps your cause.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

So here's how my game operates.
When "Match/Lock" Setting = Fast:
If a single ball enters the shelter, the match process is slow, and scrolls through some text before awarding something (with the light show and such)
If a ball is locked, and then another ball enters the shelter, the locked ball is ejected immediately, and a match award is instantly awarded (ie. no lightshow or scrolling).
When "Match/Lock" Setting = Slow:
The lightshow and such is still the same for a single ball entering the shelter.
If a ball is locked, and another ball enters the shelter, the balls stack, and the game continues to do the long light show and scrolling before awarding (as if there's only a single ball there). Then one ball is kicked out, and the other ball rolls forward an inch, and locks. The game then plays the "EARTHSHAKER!" call out and locks the ball.
Try setting the settings to "FAST" and see if that helps your cause.

Thanks! This was what I suspected, it sounds like since I'm set to slow that the game is behaving correct and the balls should rest next to each other before the first ball is kicked out. After some playing with how the switch sits it looks better now, I think how it was bent was causing the ball to get jammed up so Uberlit may want to try that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-right-kickout-issueballs-stacking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.