Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB835F4C-C83F-4C34-8E4E-73CA95D11EAB (resized).jpeg
DF33621A-20DC-43F5-B6F7-37AD0825FB70 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0952 (resized).JPG
IMG_0949 (resized).JPG
IMG_0951 (resized).JPG
IMG_0948 (resized).JPG
0CA2E0FA-4E28-4663-94CA-368FEDB12AB7 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Hi,

I started to strip the playfield of my Earthshaker. I suspect something is wrong with the post support. Instead of a common fastener, There is a long screw, inserted from under the playfield, but there are a few of them. Can someone tell me if it is normal or if it is a bad trick ?

Thanks in advance

0CA2E0FA-4E28-4663-94CA-368FEDB12AB7 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

yea, that's no right.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for your message, a few things are tricky on this machine, I ll try to make sthing clean

#4 2 years ago

Those holes normally get wood screws, my guess is that a previous owner over-tightened and stripped the holes, then drilled through the playfield to fix his mistake.

BTW I'm in the midst of an Earthshaker shop right now too, and one thing that really bugged me was all those deformed black plastic spacers everywhere. I bought a bunch of similar ones from Marco with a narrower hole for the bolt, less likely to deform that way. They're 2 7/16" long so you'll have to cut them to fit, but each should yield two shorter ones.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=C25B10A972F8863B0C08D45E7D2E4DB8.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=254-5035-00

#5 2 years ago

No sure the guy drilled anything. As you can see on the restore link from pps, these holes are part of the pf. Only I expect common fastener.

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/es/esbilderrebuildplayfield/IMG_7401.JPG

Regarding the black cylinders you mention: yes, I have the same problem, and almost glued to the playfield. I have done the same as you, and ordered from Marco. Thanks

#6 2 years ago

Those locations probably had t nuts from the underside originally, which are common to have locktite on system 11 games. People will snap the screws if not careful removing them, and this was probably someone's fox. Look at the wood surrounding those holes under the playfield and you'll probably see 3 marks from where the spikes of the t nut used to be.

Edit: I've restored numerous system 11 games but never had an ES, so I'm not familiar with those particular posts or fasteners and could be wrong about them being t nuts. Actual mileage may vary depending on driving habits, contents may settle during shipment, sold by weight not volume, some assembly required.....

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

No sure the guy drilled anything. As you can see on the restore link from pps, these holes are part of the pf. Only I expect common fastener.

Yes, they're part of the playfield, but originally (on my playfield at least) they were for a wood screw post that screwed into the pf, versus a machine screw post that went all the way thru the pf into a t-nut underneath. Someone likely drilled the hole the rest of the way thru the pf, I had to do this for a couple of posts on a Sorcerer where the wood screw post hole was too chewed up to stay tight, and a t-nut and machine screw post were necessary.

#8 2 years ago

Do you have the 2 long posts with female threads on top? They are roughly 3 inches long

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Do you have the 2 long posts with female threads on top? They are roughly 3 inches long

Do you mean like the hexagonal posts supporting ramps ? In that case yes, on the pic they have been removed. Some of these are yellowed, due to humidity perhaps.

#10 2 years ago

2 of them are not hexagonal. Those are on the side rail playfield supports

#11 2 years ago

IMG_0948 (resized).JPG

IMG_0951 (resized).JPG

IMG_0949 (resized).JPG

IMG_0952 (resized).JPG

#12 2 years ago

Hopefully these old pics of my restore helps

#13 2 years ago

Thanks a lot !!!! exactly what I was looking for.

#14 2 years ago

Sorry, coming back on this. some bumper post across the playfield were replaced by a long screw. Now I noticed that others, like the ones around he building hole, do not go through. There is a metallic screw thread « female » to which the post should be screwed without going through the playfield. I have looked today for a matching reference on merchant websites, in PPS parts manuals, but I cannot figure out which part could fit.

I think of 02-4002-1 but thread diameter of 6 seems to be too large ...

DF33621A-20DC-43F5-B6F7-37AD0825FB70 (resized).jpeg

#15 2 years ago

Those don't look right. I would get 6/32 tee nuts and 2 studs that have a top like the one in the picture. Those were also 6/32 top thread. They are available through pinball life. Those studs are just for mounting the plastic on top

#16 2 years ago

Yes for the t-nuts, but they normally fasten threads from below the pf. Here, and also on your pics, the post or post fastener does not go through. There is no corresponding hole under the pf

#17 2 years ago

They look like grip-certs, normal used in metal, with a tool that looks like a hand squeeze pop rivet.

#18 2 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply. I do nt fifure out what a grip cert is. And google did not bring much that looks like my strange fastener. Are you talking about the receiver insert in the wood, with a thread ?

#19 2 years ago

No, its usually a brass insert with treads on the inside, when compressed, like a rivet, it expands to press's against what it's inserted into, usually making a permanent repair to striped out hole. great tool on auto body repairs.

#20 2 years ago

Yes, I doubt it was permanent from the begining. Maybe as a trick, but in that case, what is the original post fastener, as the wood is not fully drilled from the top to bottom. strange

#21 2 years ago

I think I know what it is. The fastener was originally as shown on the pic. With the time, the screw hole was damaged. The guy drilled part of the pf and inserted a brass insert as wdennie mentioned on purpose, and he put some straight stud instead of a fastener.

My last question is : if I fill them with bi-component wood paste, will I be able to firmly screw new original fastener ?

Thanks for your patience

FB835F4C-C83F-4C34-8E4E-73CA95D11EAB (resized).jpeg

#22 2 years ago

You can get that same stud with a threaded bottom for a tnut. It would work fine. Filling with a epoxy for wood drilling a tiny starter hole would work too I'm sure. Those studs just hold the plastics. If they were a part of the playfield mechanics I'd be more worried them not holding with expoxy. I'd do the tints and studs if it were me

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Those holes normally get wood screws, my guess is that a previous owner over-tightened and stripped the holes, then drilled through the playfield to fix his mistake.
BTW I'm in the midst of an Earthshaker shop right now too, and one thing that really bugged me was all those deformed black plastic spacers everywhere. I bought a bunch of similar ones from Marco with a narrower hole for the bolt, less likely to deform that way. They're 2 7/16" long so you'll have to cut them to fit, but each should yield two shorter ones.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=C25B10A972F8863B0C08D45E7D2E4DB8.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=254-5035-00

This is a great idea, I will be redoing my pf with a new cpr, how many of these spacers do I need to get?

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from galaga50:

This is a great idea, I will be redoing my pf with a new cpr, how many of these spacers do I need to get?

I got ten, yields 20 posts which I'm sure is more than enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside