Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180504_194001 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180504-065816_Drive (resized).jpg
Earthshaker (resized).png
20180503_214729 (resized).jpg
20180503_214740 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Fixing up an Earthshaker and its looking amazing. A problem developed mid game. I lost all 3 pop bumpers and the shaker. I've seen other threads about this however my problem is a bit different since i havent lost voltage.
Here's the facts:

-game worked perfectly but developed the issue during a game.
-pulled all fuses, checked with a meter and even replaced some anyway. All checked ok
-I have power at all the coils and shaker. 30-33v DC
-slingshots still work, so not all special solenoids are affected.
-all pop switches register in edge test.
-otherwise game plays like it should
-all original boards, no hacks, no battery damage.
-reseated connectors. Have not checked for cold solder joints yet. Pulling the cpu to remove the battery pack this wrekend.

What the heck is going on??? I'm stumped!!!

Thank you in advance.

#2 5 years ago

Maybe something unplugged toward the top right side of the MPU board. Can you post a picture of the board with the wiring?

#3 5 years ago

Board pics

20180503_214740 (resized).jpg20180503_214740 (resized).jpg

20180503_214729 (resized).jpg20180503_214729 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Looks all connected. Did you do any work on the game before those pop bumper and shaker motor stopped working?

#5 5 years ago

J19. Shouldn't there be a plug there for special solenoids?

#6 5 years ago

The machine played flawlessly then quit during a game. I should also mention the pops do not fire in test mode either.
Rondogg J19 is the special solenoids. J18 above is empty in this game.

#7 5 years ago

Do the solenoids work in test mode?

Do they work if you ground out the transistor?

#8 5 years ago

Okarcades grounding the transistors does nothing for the pops or shaker. I grounded the sling shots just to check and they fired.
I can't see all four going bad at once. Something else is going on here.

#9 5 years ago

Sounds like some ground issue in my opinion. I always worry that shaker motor games are rattling the machine and creating future issues. I would also closely inspect and trace back the common from the pop bumpers and make sure there are no issues.

#10 5 years ago

You are narrowing it down! Def not a switch issue since the switches work in test mode and I assume they count during game play.

So. You have power to the coils but the transistors ground the coil. So that leads me to believe you either have 3 bad transistors ( doubt it but possible) or possibly a chip problem.

Have you tried grounding the ground leg of the coil to a ground in the game to make sure it fires? I'm pretty sure it will.

#11 5 years ago

I can make the coil fire from under the pf.
IC going bad....that I could believe. Just have to figure out what chip controls those 4 items.

#12 5 years ago

Could be a grounding issue also. Those shakers do wreak havoc on a game.

#13 5 years ago

I'm working on one as well this week. There was extensive acid damage and all but a string of GI was out. It has been sent off for refurbishment but I'm terrified of what I'll find when it's time to power up again. All that to say, following...

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I can make the coil fire from under the pf.
IC going bad....that I could believe. Just have to figure out what chip controls those 4 items.

You said grounding the transistors don't fire the coils, but you can fire them manually from under the PF. That doesn't sound like an IC issue.

I know there's a fuse located under the playfield near the pop bumpers. Perhaps your cold solder joint is there, what with all the vibration in this area? It's certainly worth checking. Somewhat doubtful that includes the shaker motor, I'm honestly not sure.

Otherwise, check continuity between the connection points shown in the manual (below), as well as between the transistor tabs and coil lugs.

Bill

Earthshaker (resized).pngEarthshaker (resized).png

#15 5 years ago

I'll pull the cpu this weekend and check all the solder connections. This has me so puzzled b/c the only thing they share in common is the red/white wire, however i have voltage at every coil. Seems like some sort of communication error, but why are the slings working? That tells me I have at least some activity in the special solenoids section.
Wish I had another sys 11b game to swap the cpu with just to rule that out. Maybe I'll have to buy one

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Wish I had another sys 11b game to swap the cpu with just to rule that out. Maybe I'll have to buy one

Beware that rotten dogs boards don't work well on the system 11s. I've tried several in differant games and the sound never works.

#17 5 years ago

Have you check the connections at the board. According to the manual these are all in the same string. I'm guessing you have a cold solder joint somewhere on the board.

Screenshot_20180504-065816_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180504-065816_Drive (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Beware that rotten dogs boards don't work well on the system 11s.

Why buy the board when I could pick up an entire game..

Quoted from Okarcades:

Have you check the connections at the board

This is my plan this weekend.

#19 5 years ago

sound more like a connector problem,

Quoted from ufopinball:You said grounding the transistors don't fire the coils, but you can fire them manually from under the PF. That doesn't sound like an IC issue.
I know there's a fuse located under the playfield near the pop bumpers. Perhaps your cold solder joint is there, what with all the vibration in this area? It's certainly worth checking. Somewhat doubtful that includes the shaker motor, I'm honestly not sure.
Otherwise, check continuity between the connection points shown in the manual (below), as well as between the transistor tabs and coil lugs.
Bill

#20 5 years ago

Try grounding out at the connector plug (not at the transistor) for each one that's not working, if it worked at the coil it should work at the plug
possible broken wires somewhere, or bad connector.
Also test the mpu output at the connector, see if it's sending a ground signal out when the transistor is activated.

#21 5 years ago

Ok here's what's going on. I made a mistake earlier. The coil I was firing undet the playfield was the eject hole, thought it was the pop since it's in the same cluster. My bad.

Coils DO NOT fire when grounded under the playfield. So am I missing voltage? But I'm getting a voltage reading. So frustrating.

#22 5 years ago

Do you have a jumper wire? Use it across the zero ohm resistors on the aux power supply with it in coil test. Do they fire now? If they do then replace them with a paper clip

#23 5 years ago

I'll try that next. Just pulled both boards and reflowed every header pin solder. Checked all the fuse block solder joints.

#24 5 years ago

@GRUMPY. You are a freakin genius!!! I jumped the 0 ohm (W4) and the pops came to life. Thank you!! I'd have never guessed that. Still learning things every day!!

#25 5 years ago

For anyone else that may experience this issue. Here was the culprit. A bad 0 ohm resistor at W4

20180504_194001 (resized).jpg20180504_194001 (resized).jpg

#26 5 years ago

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Have seen soooo many of those zero ohm ressistors go bad on system 11 boards. Especially aux power supply boards.

Replace all the zero ohm resistors on that board with wire and good to go. The other ones are not far behind the one that went.

#27 5 years ago

Btw shaker works fine too now. Why would williams use a "0 ohm" resistor vs. a jumper wire? Seems a bit ridiculous.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Btw shaker works fine too now. Why would williams use a "0 ohm" resistor vs. a jumper wire? Seems a bit ridiculous.

Machine placed components

#29 5 years ago

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

#30 5 years ago

Grumpy has saved me a few times. He is a life saver!

1 year later
#31 4 years ago

Had the exact same issue.
Thanks guys for the heads up too.

1 year later
#32 2 years ago

It's is a real mind bender when diagnosing the game
with voltage on the Pop bumpers, and when you go to ground the transistors
the coil do not fire.
Grumpy Thanks for people like you out there to take time out to help!
another game fixed and money saved on board repair.
Post 3 years ago and still helping !
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-problem-has-me-stumped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.