(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,312 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmillman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1187 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my Earthshaker rebuild and it's finally moving again, I've been taking my time, look over at restorations to see the work. I have almost everything (first layer) on the playfield, but have 3 holes I need some help with.
It looks like there are some types of posts that should be supporting the ramps (see pictures 1 & 3) . I didn't have them on my machine when I took them apart, at least I don't think I did. My ramps are a little chewed up so I'm going to use Cliffy's to fix / hide those areas.
I've found a couple of pictures from others, but not real clear on what should be there. If you can help identify that would be great.
Also, in picture 2, there is a hole that I cannot find anything that should go there. In my old playfield, it looks unused as well, but wanted to be sure.
For additional reference:
Image 1 shows the predrilled hole for (something) where the scenic earthquake ramp goes.
Image 2 is showing the top left area of the playfield.
Image 3 is shows the predrilled hole for (something) where the fault ramp goes.

I'm thinking that since I didn't have anything there I may have to order some parts.

20210801_094901 (resized).jpg20210801_094901 (resized).jpga20210801_094914 (resized).jpga20210801_094914 (resized).jpga20210801_094906 (resized).jpga20210801_094906 (resized).jpg
#1193 2 years ago

Would you guys say that's a metal post, a screw with the same plastic spacer that's all over or something with a rubber sleeve?

#1195 2 years ago

Anyone have a clean copy of this ring map? I don't see it in the owners guide or the blue parts manual.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from ATARI:

Found this after removing spiral ramp. any idea's where it came from.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Late to the game, but they only had a couple of nylon spacers like that in use. The most likely part choice is that someone lost it when replacing a yellow rubber next to the ramp post (to the right of the drop targets). It went on top of the yellow rubber cork.

8 months later
#1338 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Does anyone have the diagram showing the rubber locations? I see the list in the manual, but not where they go.

EarthShakerRingLocation.pdfEarthShakerRingLocation.pdf
#1347 1 year ago

Finally putting boards back into the game after multiple years. Of course, I didn't take pictures. Can someone please take pictures of the backbox showing which connectors go to each board?

Thanks

1 week later
#1374 1 year ago

Can anyone provide information on when and what can be connected, turned on and tested during a rebuild? I have about 80% of the playfield done, can I plug everything in and turn it on (as long as no shorted wires) safely and test what is connected? Should I wait until everything is on the playfield?

I figure it will be easier to fix things before everything is in place.

Thoughts?

1 week later
#1396 1 year ago

Anyone ever notice on the documentation in the lamp matrix table there are 4 jet bumpers?

• Jet Bumper Center (Column 1, Row 8 )
  • Top Jet Bumper (Column 6, Row 1 )
  • Left Jet Bumper (Column 6, Row 2 )
  • Right Jet Bumper (Column 6, Row 3 )
1 week later
#1411 1 year ago

Am I missing something in the manual? I am looking to understand what each fuse is for so that if something isn't working, I can check the list and find the fuse.
In the manual, there is a page showing what each fuse (part number) is and the location, but I cannot find the purpose. As an example, which fuses operate the lower GI?

#1413 1 year ago

What's the right way to test power coming from transformer?

I am having a problem (rebuilding playfield not the transformer) with my lower gi. So I figured I would start from the transformer and work my way to the light bulbs. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere, but thought, since I've never actually started this game when I got it, I would learn and start at the beginning.

The schematic indicates 2 solid and 2 yellow / white wires coming from the transformer. I figured I would test those. Using the principal of it's usually something simple, I assume I am the problem. When I test each of the lines in the connector touching from the line to ground wire in the cabinet, I get different voltages (AC). Then I went looking on the web for how to test a transformer and I am seeing that I'm probably doing it wrong. Should I be testing from pin 1 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 4? If so, what should I expect to see?

Downstream, each of those wires get split (parallel) to 2 wires each to connect to the interconnect board. If I want to check the power on the output of the interconnect board, I would use connectors 2J7, 2J9 and 2J10. What's the right way to check the voltage on each of the pins? As an example, testing the lighting on the coin door, do I use 2J10, touching pins 9 and 10, or do I test each individual, if so, what is common?

Thanks

giPower (resized).pnggiPower (resized).png
1 week later
#1422 1 year ago

Anyone put LEDs in the building? Trying to decide if I should change out. If so, what did you use and are you happy with the choice?

#1424 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Can someone help me with the part number for the left flipper leaf switch? I got two of the same (the one that’s in stock in the photo), but it’s a single, correct for the right side.
For the left one I obviously need a dual leaf switch for the two flippers that are on the left.
I’m guessing it would be the one in the other photo, but seems like it’s not something Marco stocks up on. Haven’t been able to see it elsewhere
Thanx[quoted image][quoted image]

Found it in Europe. Check this link. https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/switch-dual-leaf-contact-assy.html
Otherwise you may have to build it.

#1442 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Is there any GI/LED controller boards awailable for system 11 ?
Anyone experiencing flickering after converting to LED ?

My machine isn't fully running yet, but I'm not really seeing flicker with just the power on.

I do have some concerns about my flashers though. Still rebuilding.
You can check this out:

1 month later
#1505 1 year ago

Thoughts on replacing ramp flaps.

I'm considering using stainless rather than blue spring steel. Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?

#1509 1 year ago

Can someone help confirm some of the information in the pictures attached?
In the first picture, look for the arrow, should the post be touching the pop bumper like that?
If so, I think I have some problems in the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
Can someone also provide the lengths of the labeled posts in the 4th picture, I'm thinking I have them in the wrong order.
If you have the length, please provide (i.e. 1 - 3", 2 - 2.5", etc.)
There are 5 in total (although I know #6 is the same size as 5 and gets installed on the ramp.

Thanks for the help.

20220718_183448 (resized).jpg20220718_183448 (resized).jpg20220718_183454 (resized).jpg20220718_183454 (resized).jpg20220718_183456 (resized).jpg20220718_183456 (resized).jpg20220718_183715 (resized).jpg20220718_183715 (resized).jpg
#1511 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

There were some different height pop bodies when they have been rerun over the years. Maybe you have those in the game.

I don't think that's the issue. Someone identified that issue a while ago and I replaced them with the right williams body. I think I have the standoffs mixed up.

1 week later
#1526 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Long shot here but anyone know where this metal L bracket goes on the game. It’s about an inch long. Could be anywhere. I’m putting the game back together and of course I can’t find it in any pics. Everything else is accounted for
[quoted image]

Good question. It's a tricky one, I've provided a picture. It goes inside of the subway, I'm guessing to protect it, or else to help with alignment.

bracket (resized).jpgbracket (resized).jpg
#1528 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Awesome. That's it!

Impressive that's the only piece you can't figure out. I'm almost done putting mine together and I think I have a few unknowns that I will have to go back and look for.
BTW, there are a couple of grounding wires (bare) that come from the cabinet to the head, I cannot remember where they attach, if you can check that for me, it would be great.

#1540 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Can anyone point me to the correct stud/bumper post for this spot where the yellow rubber goes?
Thnx
[quoted image]

I ended up changing that post out since there wasn't really enough room when adding the cliffy connector. I think I changed to 8/32 on top, it was a little longer. I might be able to find the part number, let me know if needed.

#1549 1 year ago

pinballlarry1 I'm about to try and replace my shaker motor. The set screws are really tight, do you think they used locktite? Did you heat your weights up to get them off?

I don't want to mess anything up, contemplating just swapping the brushes. (I have the new motor, so I would rather do what you did.) BTW, what paint did you use? Looks great, even though it will be hidden by the cover.

1 week later
#1565 1 year ago

FYI for anyone else working on the shaker motor. They did use locktite on the set screws in the weights.
I had to use a torch to heat up for 15 seconds or so and the screws came out.
There was still locktite in the hole, so you will need to either have a few extra set screws (with heat) to clean it out or possibly use a 8/32 tap.

3 months later
#1693 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello Earthshaker Owners....some help if you don't mind please.
On my machine, I am trying to determine the correct location for this flasher. (This photo isn't my machine) My machine the flasher socket was loose and not connected. I question this location however (pictured) because it can't light up anything.
Thoughts or ideas?
Eric
[quoted image]

That light should be mounted on the other side of the playfield (topside). The socket and wires go through the hole and the unit is mounted on top of the playfield. I should be able to send you a picture tomorrow.

1 month later
#1720 1 year ago

Trying to finally finish almost 8 year rebuild. Missing some pictures and possibly some screws. Does anyone have any good pictures, top / bottom possibly even screw sizes for the Nevada sliding piece? I only took a top picture, so I'm guessing as to how everything was supposed to go.
When I dry fit everything, the Nevada / California ramp is tilting toward the top of the playfield, pretty sure this is incorrect.

Here is the original picture I took.
Not sure if I need nuts on the bottom of the nevada where the habitrail connects. I think I may have misplaced the original screw. The one I have is too long (which makes me think I used the shorter one elsewhere, but not sure where.

Any help would be appreciated.

DSCN2961 (resized).JPGDSCN2961 (resized).JPG
#1733 1 year ago

Can someone tell me where this goes? This is a grounding wire that is attached to the base of the left side of the head of the cabinet. I'm guessing it should be used to hold the main board and ground it, but it's been a long time and I don't have that picture.

grounding wire (resized).jpggrounding wire (resized).jpg
#1735 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello Earthshaker Pin people, hope everyone is doing great. I am restoring a machine which came to me in boxes of parts. Seriously. With the help of this page, and all the photos, I am been making progress getting this thing back together.
Several questions if I can: Where do these parts go???
Also, I am looking for a resource or alternative way to make the display masks. My Rottendog Display didn't have any. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
Side note for those looking for parts, I currently have several listing on Ebay:
Almost complete set of plastics (some new) and 3 ramps (used) and a subway (used)
Also an Interconnect Board with the typical issues you likely know.
thank you so much again for any help you can share....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That metal part is shown and identified in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/31#post-7046768

#1744 1 year ago

I'm not sure

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

GAME CARDS
Does anyone have a resource for some nice apron cards? I don't have the means to print them, however am interested to purchase them.
Any favorites everyone likes?
thanks in advance.
Also looking for reproductions on the "inside cabinet" decals which are located on the LEFT side.

I don't remember where I got these. I'm guessing someone from pinside years ago.

0f982a5d41cca524d5577de934bc2f2dd4de2a7d (resized).jpg0f982a5d41cca524d5577de934bc2f2dd4de2a7d (resized).jpg5ae651ed75529e722069da703417f42814885bbe (resized).jpg5ae651ed75529e722069da703417f42814885bbe (resized).jpg75e3645bb3d6198e59b2abbc2770b2b2d34d262b (resized).jpg75e3645bb3d6198e59b2abbc2770b2b2d34d262b (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1748 1 year ago

Are you asking about the machine topper or the signs over the ramps?

#1750 1 year ago

would someone please post a picture of the back box locking mechanism with the back box unlocked. (From inside the back box). Looking to see orientation so I can reassemble. Also does someone have a good resource for locks for older machines? The ones I have seem smaller in diameter the outside ring where the lock hits the door or wood than originals. I tried taking one apart but all the tumblers and pins just fell out.

#1751 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

The machine topper ...
Looking for a couple of clear pictures of the back of the topper .

20230113_101705.jpg20230113_101705.jpg20230113_101710 (resized).jpg20230113_101710 (resized).jpg
#1753 1 year ago

Sorry, never saw that before. Looks cool.

#1761 1 year ago

Just when I thought I was done, I'm finding that I'm missing a piece.
Does anyone know what the chromed protector in the shooter lane (protects from the ball kickout) is called? Anyone know where I might find one?

Missing part (resized).pngMissing part (resized).png
#1763 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Shooter lane protector...
Pinball life should have them

Does anyone know if the Stern protector, (what Pinball life has) is the same size as the one for ES?

#1770 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I ordered that piece and it looks like it will match ...

I ordered the stern protector. It is smaller than the original one with Earthshaker, but I installed it and it's doing the job. It required adding a new hole for the second screw. Not a big deal, most people would never notice or know. Just sharing for those who are interested. This was the last piece that needed to be installed on my rebuild.

Thanks to everyone who helped over the years, there were many.

#1784 1 year ago

The backboard has wires going to 2 different connectors on the interconnect board.
J7 has 5 wires, J11 has the one brown wire. Pictures below.

20230129_143602 (resized).jpg20230129_143602 (resized).jpg20230129_143606 (resized).jpg20230129_143606 (resized).jpg
#1793 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

thanks I do have one ... honestly I suck at reading schematics and according to Dumbass its incorrect !

Don't beat yourself up. Schematics is a skill and an art. Sometimes I can read them right, other times I can't. Takes practice. First try reading / following areas that you know. On the earthshaker, some of the drawings are more wiring diagrams than schematic diagrams.

There are a lot of great people here who are willing to help with no judgement, many of them started with the same challenges (I know I've counted on many people here).

#1803 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I feel liked I am wearing out my welcome on the questions....so so sorry.
Report:
With the help of this page and others, was able to eliminate the "flipper flashing" by modifying the Aux Power Board, doing the removal of diodes 3, 4, 6, 7, and then installing new diodes on the actual coils 3, 4, 6, 7. No more flashing when hitting the flippers. ...

OK, I cannot comment as to if there is a board issue, others can answer that better.
I blew a ton of fuses during my rebuild.
It sounds like there may be some cross wiring and it might be related to another feature. So if you rebuilt the bumpers and they look fine, it might be something that is wrongly shorting with the bumpers that only when you activate that feature are you having the issue.
I don't know if you have a tone generator. I would put that on the bumper circuit, with the machine turned off and see if you are getting noise from wires you don't expect (might want to unplug from the board first).

If you aren't familiar, a tone generator is used by telephony to cause a noise to be generated on a wire (then picked up by a receiver). It aids in finding wires in the wall.

If I remember correctly, the jets share a common ground, check for there being something too close to one of those wires.

#1808 1 year ago

I thought I was done...

Anyone know the sequence that should allow the ball to go to the fault, get shot up to the top and then have the fault open so the ball will drop down to the shelter?

Every time I shoot it up to the fault, the states open and close a couple of times, but then always close up so the ball comes down to the right flipper.

Thoughts?

#1810 1 year ago

You are correct, I did mean the left flipper. I'll have to go see what's going on with that. Maybe I didn't put together correctly.

1 month later
#1891 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

GI lights fixed!
Diverter fixed!
Thanks all! The diverter issue was actually the spring. It was way too loose. Replaced it with a tighter spring and now it's working great!
Thanks everyone! Love this forum!
Chris

I'm having the same problem. I also think it's the spring. What or where did you find a right spring?

3 weeks later
#1942 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Speaking of the Earthquake Institute, I've modified my topper media to reflect the actual Institute color on the playfield. The Earthshaker Topper features over an hour of "Earthshaker Pinball" themed content, which is looped if your machine is on for longer periods of time.
Plug and Play friendly, and certainly enhances the pinball playing experience.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any chance you can get the institute to sink when the playfield one does? Possibly break apart?

#1948 1 year ago

More likely that it was locktite than cross threaded. That was how they did it from the factory. Can be a pain.
You can get the t-nuts in many places. I think this is the post: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5012-02 Marco is out right now, might be some other suppliers.

For future reference: https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/rvsk/#p=560
I think the part you are looking for is 02-4002-3
This might work: https://actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=530-5012-02

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmillman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault?tu=rmillman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.