(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,312 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pencilneck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#651 5 years ago

For anyone wanting an overload of photos on an Earthshaker being restored...

"Short" version with somewhat helpful info:
http://4130-products.com/pinball/index.php/earthshaker-restore/

All photos from restore to look over:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9P7gEwDRURCpk9te2

2 weeks later
#667 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

How did you remove the paint from the "W" logo on your coindoor? Careful sanding, light rubbing with lacquer thinner, something else? I have mine repainted and haven't touched the W for fear of f-ing it up.

Painted, waited a few days for paint to fully cure, masked off around W logo and then sanded with 80 or 120 grit. Put sandpaper on a block of wood or some other hard flat surface and then go in one direction while keeping flat on logo. just takes a few passes to knock off the paint.

20170824_215204-768x576 (resized).jpg20170824_215204-768x576 (resized).jpg

20170824_215245-768x576 (resized).jpg20170824_215245-768x576 (resized).jpg

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

What paint is that?

Black hammer paint from Rust-oleum. I had media blasted the coindoor, cleaned with Naphtha and then painted with the hammer paint. The coin door looks great, but it way more grey than black. The next one I do I'll put down a couple of light coats of plain black spray paint, then the black hammer paint and hopefully get a deeper black result.

20171007_201151-768x576 (resized).jpg20171007_201151-768x576 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#671 5 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Just curious if anyone would share their mounting solution for the CPR Earthshaker topper that comes with the plastics set? I have some ideas but dont want to miss anything obvious.

Send to me for and I'll figure it out and do some long term testing. A simple L bracket(s) and screws. Might be even better if you have semi tubular rivets to mount the plastic to the bracket, that might look a bit more OE than screw heads. Then 2 holes in the top of the back box and simple wood screws to secure in place.

4 months later
#687 5 years ago
Quoted from Nickson:

hello everyone! i am new to the club and i just picked mine up yesterday and it is in pretty good condition i will post pics later.

Lets get THE two questions out of the way:

1 - Does yours have the building that drops into the playfield?
2 - Do you have Whirlwind?

These are standard issue questions for most Earthshaker owners... may as well be a T-shirt at this point.

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#704 5 years ago

Pin doing what pins do... break. Display was all good, packed up pin and took to Nashville and set up... score display has 4 dead spots. Photo taken during test mode. I've traded out the ribbon cable with a known good unit, no change. Visual inspection of circuit board, no obvious issues found such as cracked solder joints or burnt spots.

Suggestions?

20181126_214425 (resized).jpg20181126_214425 (resized).jpg Added over 5 years ago:

Fixed it, while no visual issues found were ever found, and wiggle testing didn't do anything.... I resoldered the header pins and that fixed it.

7 months later
4 months later
#856 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Here's what mine looks like, resulting in a stuck ball until the fault closes, robbing the player of the lock

I ran into this issue as well. I tweaked/adjusted things and never could get it to clear the wire guide every time... about 50% of the time the ball would get hung up there. So I just bend the wire guide out a hair and with that, problem solved.

1 month later
#872 4 years ago
Quoted from mountainmaninGA:

New Earthshaker owner here. I love this game!

As per the unwritten rules of ES ownership... you are required to be asked:

1 - Do you have Whirlwind?
2 - Does the building drop?

No ES owner escapes these questions.

2 weeks later
#897 4 years ago
Quoted from dustradio:

This is probably a System 11b generic issue but I recently lost my displays, replaced Fuse F2 on the power supply board and after an hour of play the top display started with this...note the top display.
I'm assuming this is a PS issue...[quoted image][quoted image]

Hopefully this helps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-score-diplay-issue-

And I'll dogpile on those batteries as well. Get NVRAM and never worry about batteries again.

1 month later
#933 4 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Any opinion on ES lighting kits? Pinbulbz and Cointaker seem to have a few options each. Has anyone tried any of these and if so how did it turn out. The backglass on the Pinbulbz version looks pretty intense but sometimes pictures are deceiving.

I've purchased several kits from Cointaker and have been super happy with them. Go with nonghosting, I didn't the with the first kit and that was a mistake. I later replaced the controlled lights with nonghosting.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fB12apux8PEhuXkB8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUUemPt4sbXc7PD9A

Note that I cleaned and repainted the light board as well:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T8b3PaTccau7WGUn9

The LEDs behind the "Earthshaker" in the upper right blink which is pretty cool looking, semi-animated looking.

Those photos kind of give you an idea of how "intense" they are, to which I like because I have trouble tracking the ball in dim lighting. But these photos do make things look washed out, it isn't like that in person... IMHO, this pin really "pops", it is bright and vivid.

Some pins I've purchased have had LED kits in them that were subpar, thus they were replaced with Cointaker kits and the results are better. I have no issues recommending them based on my experiences and results.

7 months later
#1073 3 years ago

Just finished up installing the sinking building mod. Few things to pass along to the next person.

It can be done by yourself with the playfield in the cabinet... but it won't be fun. The worst part of the whole install is getting that first screw through the mounting bracket into the bottom of the playfield. Trying to hold the unit in place and working updsidedownish sucked. I used a bit of contact cement to keep the screws in the bit holder... but having a second person operate the drill to run that first screw in place while I held the unit in place would of been the smart wait to do it. If the playfield is out, then it might be minor task by yourself... well getting the playfield out by yourself.. have fun.

The instructions say to remove two white plastic "wire clamps". The mounting bracket kind of goes where they are. But removing the two wire clamps kind of creates a minor wiring issue, a mass of wires wants to rest/touch the soldier connection of the motor. Wire + sharp edges + vibration + time = sparks!

I was able to mount the 2 white plastic wire clamps to the plate. Where the relay is, I got a longer screw and secured it. I also put some yellow plastic split loom along the edge of the metal plate. You can see a smaller wiring bundle that is kind of snug against the metal plate. Same mathematical problem as before, so the yellow split loom should prevent those wires from damaged.

U1nmSkc.pngU1nmSkc.png

The other wire clamp is secured in place with a screw that holds a plastic guide in place.

SlStoPu.pngSlStoPu.png

I was able to secure the pigtail harness on with the wire clamp on the left so it can't hang around and fatigue fail down the road.

5UBJgc1.png5UBJgc1.png
2 months later
#1090 3 years ago

Hmmm... mine is in position 1, that is how I got it.

2 months later
#1115 3 years ago

I got repo ramps from Marco's years ago when I rebuilt my ES.... I guess they might be Starship stuff... and they fit, but only after some work. The plastic is much thicker so they should last longer.

The right side ramp wasn't even close to being flush to the playfield. First photo is after I had already started to rework it.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

I just used a bastard and worked away at the lower lip there to thin it out.
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

This is where I left it, works fine, can't really tell in person and there isn't any ball hop issue to speak of.
3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

The center/left ramp would not fit over the left pop bumper, so I had to grind down the cap.
4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

And once the ramp is in place you can't tell.
5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

As I recall, I also think the screw holes at the entry points of the ramps were not counter sunk, so I had to take care of that so the screw heads would be flush.

If I were to do it again, instead of filing on the right ramp, I would of used a router and cut into the playfield a small pocket for the ramp rest.

I also rebuild an Whirlwind and kind of ran into the same type of issues, replacement ramps fit, but only after some work. Take your time, think about what the issue is and when you are done they look great.

1 week later
#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Thank you Pencilneck! I definitely would not have attempted to cut that pop bumper without your suggestion.
I'm slowly getting this put back together. It's been more trouble that I expected, with the metal ramp protector/ball stop on the left ramp not lining up

You have to work with the aftermarket ramps, they don't just bolt right up... flex or bend things to get them bolted down. I had the same kind of "issues" when I did my WW and I expect the same when I get around to Funhouse.

1 year later
#1242 2 years ago

I got the sinking building kit a year or so ago, it isn't difficult to install, but it isn't easy... or at least while the playfield is in the cabinet... kind of working upside down. It might be helpful to have some one hold it in place to the playfield while you get that first screw started.

IMHO, you will need to do some "wiring management" when you install the kit to keep wires from rubbing and shorting out down the road. Get two 3/4" cable clamps, Williams part number 03-7655-12 and some a small bit of 1/4" cable split loom.

5UBJgc1 (resized).png5UBJgc1 (resized).png
The cable clamps are along the back side bottom edge, you can't really see the second one because of the relay.... to which, I had to swap out the bolt that holds the relay in place for a longer one so I could fit cable clamp. And you can clearly see the yellow split loom along the edge there to help prevent "rub" on the wiring harness

SlStoPu (resized).pngSlStoPu (resized).png
Back side of the unit in amazing blurry view, but you can see the two cable clamps.

1 week later
#1246 2 years ago

You might have better luck if you braze it.

#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Joined the club! ..... the text is worn off many of the inserts. I've already begun to strip the playfield so I can clean it and really see if I'll be able to touch it up....

Several of my inserts were "blank" as well and I repainted them. I have a plotter cutter for making vinyl stickers and decals. I made stencils for the inserts and painted with spray paint. Later, the whole playfield was clear coated. If anyone wants to make their own stencils, here are the files:

https://app.box.com/s/8bskzn4iw8gkkxsr3sa0pozm291g2rfb

They do not have the "crack" design as the fault zone numbers, that was too fine of a detail for the plotter cutter to do. If interested, here is the "cliff notes" version and full photo dump links:

http://4130-products.com/pinball/index.php/earthshaker-restore/

Good luck on your new project, post updates!

2 months later
#1378 1 year ago
Quoted from rmillman:

Can anyone provide information on when and what can be connected, turned on and tested during a rebuild?
Thoughts?

IMHO, doesn't matter that much.

Clipboard02 (resized).jpgClipboard02 (resized).jpg

Last rebuild, have the playfield still on the bench and had all 3 harnesses hooked up and did my testing. Everything was fine.

If you wanted to play it safer, hook up just the switch harness, power up and test. Then do the lamps, power up and test and finally the coils/flashers, power up and test. Testing out of the pin is better because IF you have to dig into something, a lot easier on the bench.

It is a bit ... exciting.. that first time you power it up after having it torn down.

3 weeks later
#1425 1 year ago

All LEDs (Cointaker) in mine and I've been very happy with it. Difficult to get a good photo since they kind of "blow out" in the photo, be here you go.

20220615_210918 (resized).jpg20220615_210918 (resized).jpg20220615_211009 (resized).jpg20220615_211009 (resized).jpg
#1438 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

In a 2 pin collection do you think ES and WW would be a good fit?

If you want to be able to answer "yes" to to the first question everyone ask as soon as they find you have ES, then yes, get WW.

1 month later
#1500 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Does anyone have detailed shop out photos for Earthshaker? Want to tackle mine but do t want to get in Over my head. LOL.

Photo dump of mine:

5 months later
#1740 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-apron-cards-printable-versions-only

http://www.pinballcards.com/

There is a Walgreens 5 minutes from my house, I use the website to upload the images and get 4X6 prints made, then trim them down to size. It cost just pocket change per print.

2 months later
#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Thank you. I'll definitely go back and check the pic sets I had and verify.

Photo dump of my ES job that might be helpful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-earthshaker-photo-dump-of-full-restore

2 months later
#1987 11 months ago
Quoted from jb3d:

Hello from England! Now I’m going to tackle the top 1/3 which I know from posts here can be a bit of a pain.

Well I'm currently stuck in one of your airports as I write this.

Plan on pulling the playfield out. ES was my first "big project" and quickly you'll find there is no room to work. Once the playfield is out, it isn't as bad. You may need to get some pliers on a metal post to keep it from spinning as you go to remove nuts and such, not a big deal.

Search my post history, I've got some threads of photo dumps of past projects that might be helpful.

I'm going to go join the riot now at terminal 4, we demand more tiny bags of pretzels.

#1991 11 months ago

Sounds like I was luckier than others. 24 hour delay, I've just now boarded my final flight... no pretzels, so British Airways is got to get a firmly worded letter from me.

1 week later
#2010 10 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

anyone have some good topside pf teardown pics? Ive got a game in boxes to restore...

2 months later
#2091 8 months ago

Looks to be the same on mine as well:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LzeYFKNcfjAtvfXP9

Photo would of been taken right after ramp was removed.... so maybe for ramp?

#2093 8 months ago

Took a closer look at mine... and that spot isn't used. Couldn't see it until I shoved my phone into there.

20230828_091417 (resized).jpg20230828_091417 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2112 7 months ago
Quoted from SHABANACK75:

I would highly appreciate any helpful advise from anyone who has restored an ES already.

Should be helpful for the top side of the playfield.

1 week later
#2124 7 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just finished my restore...

Pics or GTFO! We want to see the fruits of your labor.

#2128 7 months ago

I like the cracks in the apron, nice theme touch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pencilneck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault?tu=pencilneck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.