(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,311 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by caldwert
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Why not make this default/updated rom then?

Not everyone has a ROM burner, and it's "unofficial." Even without it though, spamming the ramp shot isn't lucrative until you've hit it 99 times. Unless you like chopping wood, getting 99 miles is only worthwhile if you're in a tournament setting.

6 months later
#571 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Excited to play and figure this game out!

Great pickup! I'm sure you'll want to experiment and explore some settings and gameplay features on your own time, but one thing I do recommend is changing the shaker motor speed to "street." In street setting, the shaker varies depending on shots you make. So it'll be a low rumble when not much is going on, and when you make a ramp shot or something, it'll speed up with great vigor. Kinda cool.

Enjoy!

9 months later
#691 5 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

I may be bias a little but I prefer the theme, music, colors, and game play of Earthshaker a lot more than Whirlwind but each their own.

Everyone who comes over to play my games agrees that Earthshaker is the better game, and mine is sitting right next to Whirlwind. I personally prefer Whirlwind, and I think it gets more love from enthusiasts, mostly because WW is less exploitable than ES is. But ES has a much more interesting layout with a lot more "tricks" than whirlwind has, so I think that's why people gravitate towards it.

1 year later
#909 4 years ago

I think Earthshaker is more fun than both Whirlwind and Funhouse--i.e. I can play a game, and not feel stressed out, and just enjoy the experience. I think Whirlwind is a better playing game than both Funhouse and Earthshaker in both rules and layout. I can sit down at Whirlwind and really hash away through the game's progression to really make the most of it. Funhouse, far and away, is the most creative and most atmospheric though. I'd love to own one, but I can't justify the cost considering Whirlwind and Earthshaker are just as good or better in a lot of ways. But that's just me.

1 month later
#955 4 years ago

That’s news to me! Just watched it.

I really like the idea of updating these System 11 games. They have Complex playfields That would allow for deep WPC-like rules. As long as the modifications are 100% reversible, I’d totally try some of these mods.

1 year later
#1179 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

If the original is running fine, should I just leave it?

I’m a big fan of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” They didn’t keep changelogs back in the system 11 days, but as I understand it, most of the changes in revisions are either foreign language/coin pricing corrections or other unnoticeable things.

If it makes you feel better, I’m still running proto roms in my Taxi, and I cannot tell any game differences between that and my friend’s newer revision roms in his Taxi.

7 months later
#1239 2 years ago

Also ordered! I've been looking for a kit for years. Glad to see they're available again. Thanks for the link!

1 week later
#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

The YouTube Channel has more details and I'll post progress there.

Congrats on the pickup! Just wanted to add that I really like your youtube videos. The series you did on your Robo-War restoration was fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to document it and upload them!

2 months later
#1320 1 year ago

Does anyone recognize the flamingo and know which game that came from?

I don’t want to admit how long it took for me to find this by sheer pinball detective work. I originally thought it was a “Rad 80s/90s” themed game, like a Caribbean Cruise, Surf n Safari, Hollywood Heat, Radical etc etc… nope. None.

Then on second look, I thought “That flamingo is giving Python vibes.” So I looked for it in Hurricane, Police Force, even Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball. Nope. Not there either.

Then, it hit me. It’s a plastic from Popeye! It was actually kinda fun trying to find it. Here it is in the context of the whole kit (bottom left corner):

1421AC43-F80B-4772-B14B-F50BD0FF910E (resized).jpeg1421AC43-F80B-4772-B14B-F50BD0FF910E (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1362 1 year ago

As far as I’m aware, the sinking building is made in batches. You might have to wait for the next batch, assuming there is one. I remember trying to get one from him several years ago after his second batch ran out, and it wasn’t until now that I was able to buy one.

Definitely try reaching out to see if/when it’ll be re-run.

1 week later
#1394 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I disconnect the shaker and no problems. Safe to assume the motor draws too much and should be replaced?

Do you have a new high current driver board too? If it’s the original, check the TIP37C and associated diode on the board.

If that all checks out, then ohm out the motor, but I’d be really surprised if the motor is bad.

2 weeks later
#1430 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Wasn’t that Whirlwind?

Yup. Whirlwind.

Earthshaker’s early production backglass uses a hot pink Cadillac. Production backglasses are red.

#1440 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

In a 2 pin collection do you think ES and WW would be a good fit?

They have completely different designs and shoot completely differently, but the rules for both are essentially the same--right down to the rules for the quick multiball. I'd say they complement each other in a collection, but I wouldn't want them to be my only two games. If money is no object and you can only have one, choose Whirlwind. It's the better game. If you're trying to be a little more budget conscious, go with Earthshaker.

1 month later
#1546 1 year ago

I found this sticker for sale under the ES heading. Any idea where this goes on the game?
[quoted image]

As far as I’m aware, that decal doesn’t belong to ES. I’m almost certain that it’s been included in error. It’s the center drop target decal for the center ramp on Road Kings.

2 months later
#1602 1 year ago
Quoted from Andypc:

The Pop Bumper lights on my Earthshaker are not lighting up during the attract mode.

Unless your game has super early prototype ROMs, the pop bumper lights will not operate in attract mode. Seems like you simply stumbled on a game that has very early code.

If it bothers you that much, you’d have to track down someone who can burn you that particular rom revision, but it’s not really recommended, since the latest version of code would be the best option, since it would include bug fixes and other refinements.

#1611 1 year ago

How challenging is the process of replacing cabinet decals on this game (or really any system 11 for that matter)? I’ve done radcals multiple times, but never decals.

#1630 1 year ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

You can see the lines where it’s directly printed.

Interesting that the ES backglass looks like that. I have a White Water and TZ CPR mirrored backglass, and I don't notice any lines from the printing process. Have you reached out to them to ask if this was considered normal?

#1633 1 year ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

Yes but is your mirroring actually a mirror or just silver?

It’s definitely properly mirrored. Looks great.

4 weeks later
#1673 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Quick update the actuator arms are in the mail ... all those involved have been sent pms .. sadly I had 2 cancel so if anyone is still in need let me know.
My apologies for the delay but with -21 weather and me being responsible for 70 trucks and drivers serving 125 companies I haven't had time for a personal life ...

I’ll take one! Pm sent.

3 months later
#1864 1 year ago

The only mod I’ve ever considered for this game is a sign that better highlights the quake shelter. I know it’s labeled on the center “road sign” but it points to the standup target. So many people who play my game don’t know where the shelter is to start “aftershock.”

I considered making a yellow road sign and attaching it to the wire from right above the cellar hole in the past.

2 months later
#1977 11 months ago

I am in no way a mod person, but damn, that bridge does look good. Almost as if it were part of the game from day 1.

3 months later
#2102 7 months ago

If you've played Whirlwind, you'll feel right at home with Earthshaker. Very similar objectives: Shoot the lit targets as indicated by the institute to advance towards multiball. Shots up the main ramp advance the captive ball (which acts in the same manner as the tornado drop target on whirlwind). I will say that Earthshaker does have a really good playfield. I've always thought it was one of Lawlor's better designs. The inner loop shot is repeatable (similar to shadow loops), the lock shot is infinitely satisfying, and feels similar to the open bookcase shot on TAF, and the right ramp jackpot shot feels smooth. The state diverter is brilliant. There are some other interesting nuances: during 3-ball multiball, a shot to the shelter will hold the ball indefinitely until one is lost. Without flipper staging, this code feature makes shooting for jackpots a little more interesting. Quick multiball can be stacked with regular multiball for unlimited millions and a jackpot. It's just a terrifically shooting game.

ES has 2 big downsides: The jackpot can only be collected once per multiball (no way to relight), and to a much lesser extent, the center ramp can be spammed for miles. Once you reach 99 miles, the player is awarded a 200,000 pt "end of the road" bonus, which is really lopsided. Granted, doing so takes a ton of time, and is woodchoppy as all hell. It's not a quick rules exploit like the unlimited millions from Police Force.

If you have a larger collection, ES is a great game. In a small collection, maybe look for something else.

3 weeks later
#2129 7 months ago

Is anyone running prototype Roms in their game? Easily identified by the alternative attract mode that flashes the pops. Are there any significant rule changes?

1 month later
#2171 5 months ago
Quoted from Bman:

so I am asking for some assistance to see where I should look next.

Try the simple stuff: have you checked all the switch diodes?

1 month later
#2207 4 months ago
Quoted from Photopin:

Are they just replacements or upgrades.

System 11 game ROMs are essentially considered “finished” regardless of the revision. While L-3 is the most recent rom revision, your L-1 version is likely to have any noticeable gameplay changes. This extends to the sound ROMs as well.

As an example, I have proto sound and game ROMs in my Taxi, and I have never noticed any differences to it compared to more recent versions of the ROMs.

Through my research, I’ve found that rom revisions on system 11 games mostly contained changes to things like coin pricing for other foreign currency’s or language updates. You’re not going to see any gameplay upgrades.

If you’re game is playing well as-is, there’s no reason to change out your ROMs, imo.

1 month later
#2235 3 months ago

FM synthesis IS the sound of the 80s. It’s already perfect, imo. Like a Sega Genesis or Yamaha DX7. The only improvements I’d want to see(hear) would be improved voice samples. That was the only real flaw with these soundboards.

#2238 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

On the sound quality of the voice call outs, is that based on the quality of the "Sound Board"?

Both. Speech callouts were generated with a CVSD (Continuously Variable Slope Delta) chip. In an interview with Chris Granner, he stated that the encoding method the chip uses really hinders the quality, as it’s only 1 bit per sample.

I imagine that due to the chip’s limitations, and ROM space availability limitations, the raw data on the speech ROMs probably isn’t all that great either. I imagine we’d have to find the original studio recordings if we wanted proper samples.

#2240 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:Only someone involved with the design of the pinball machine, would have to recover them from a dusty shelf somewhere.

It’s entirely possible that Granner still has them. He released the samples from the original DCS mix of TZ years ago.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

The music samples however a fantastic, with good speakers and good, solid grounding of all boards.

That’s because these soundboards don’t use music samples. The Yamaha chip generates sound signals from raw data. It’s because of this that I’ve always felt that FM synthesis soundboards used in System 11 and early WPC games are FAR superior to the DCS. ROM space went much farther since it only had to store bits of data to generate music, so music clips could be generated in real time, be modified in real time, and had the ability to be much longer than DCS counterparts.

Compare white water to AFM. White waters soundtrack is lush, never repetitive, and has at least 10 unique tunes all at least a minute long. AFM has 20-30 second loops of maybe 3 or 4 sampled tunes. It’s no contest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.