(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,312 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.
#401 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

OK , I see what you are talking about now....etc.

Here are a few pix of mine during teardown. This motley assortment of mismatched washers and such can't possibly be factory-correct, but aside from the obvious upside-down metal post that needs righting, I'm in the dark as to how it should be.

left 2 (resized).JPGleft 2 (resized).JPG

right 1 (resized).JPGright 1 (resized).JPG

left 1 (resized).JPGleft 1 (resized).JPG

right 2 (resized).JPGright 2 (resized).JPG

right 3 (resized).JPGright 3 (resized).JPG

#402 7 years ago

The top post is longer so the sling plastics sit at a slight angle. The only place for washers is on the left post that supports the ramp. And on mine there was three.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Here are a few pix of mine during teardown. This motley assortment of mismatched washers and such can't possibly be factory-correct, but aside from the obvious upside-down metal post that needs righting, I'm in the dark as to how it should be.

Start by eliminating ALL the washers under the plastics, notta one is supposed to be there. The sling plastics do no sit level in this game they are higher at the forward-most post, Whirlwind is the same way, its a 90's Lawlor thing I guess. Personally it drives me nuts and I have both games, so I replaced the the forward-most (metal) 1 1/4" posts with the same narrow post, but clear plastic, and 1 1/16" (same height as the star post). Now my slings are level and there is zero effect on play. If I had to guess why they designed it that way, i'd say it was to protect the sling plastics by raising them up, but I have protectors, so i'm covered!

IMG_3637 (resized).JPGIMG_3637 (resized).JPG

IMG_3640 (resized).JPGIMG_3640 (resized).JPG

#404 7 years ago

This Earthshaker plays good. Fast as heck and no air balls. I'm going to go play some more.

DSCN5188 (resized).JPGDSCN5188 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#405 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Thanks for the confirmation - didn't look like anything had been removed.
I believe Upper GI Relay, Lower GI Relay, and Jackpot Flasher are all out when running the solenoid tests. Didn't have much time to dig into it today. Will need to dig further and see what's common across those 3.
It plays great so I didn't even notice those 3 were out.

Turned out to be something super simple- red wire had come loose upstream of the GI relays & the sun/jackpot flasher (at the '5000 w/ lit' flasher.)

#406 7 years ago

I have an earth shaker that has had problems with the flashers on the center ramp not working properly. 2 bottom ones were dim and top 2 didn't light when they were supposed to but would light at other times. I had tried to trouble shoot this 2 times in the past but after an hour gave up. I tried again this weekend and found that the connector for the center ramp flashers under the playfield was pinned backwards. I didn't have a tool to repin it right so just jammed the connector on backwards. With it backwards all the wires line up end to end. Strangest thing I have seen. Now my ramp flashers work great.

I think the next thing I will do is get some LED strip in the back to light up that area and I want to do something like a spot light for the fault that turns on when the ball runs through there. Maybe get a PIG and tie it the the switch for the VUK with a delay off.

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I think the next thing I will do is get some LED strip in the back to light up that area

I've been thinking about something similar for my ES. I have some Comet "Matrix" LED strips that I'm putting in my MMr; if I have any leftover may try them out in ES.

#408 7 years ago

How do you even begin to get the middle ramp off? I need to tear down enough to get to the pops, under the spiral for cleaning, and fix or replace the very last switch under the ramp near the left in lane.

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

How do you even begin to get the middle ramp off?

It's easiest to get the playfield out of it's hinges, pick it up and move it back out of the cabinet a bit to start. Removing the institute gives you a place to grab along with the apron.

I took mine apart without doing that but knew I would have to do it to put it back together.

#410 7 years ago

It's not an easy maneuver but it makes working on the top rear of the playfield much easier. You need to disconnect the ramp wiring under the playfield and push the connectors on through. You can pull it out quite a bit but don't go past the cabinet pivot and support the front over something solid.

#411 7 years ago

Darn plaster's coming off the walls from Earthshaker.

#412 7 years ago

I've heard that some people make custom wooden blocks for support, so they can pull completly off of the pivot and work on the top of the playfield. Have you heard of this? I wanted to get ES out, and onto my homemade rotisserie over the summer but it didn't happen.

#413 7 years ago

What's the interest like for a sinking building mod? They seem to pop up here and there for around $300.

When I owned mine I reverse engineered how it worked and have it all documented. Even made a model to 3D print but sold my game before I did. I could possibly do a run of these if there's enough interest. Certainly at a much lower cost, also!

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

What's the interest like for a sinking building mod? They seem to pop up here and there for around $300.
When I owned mine I reverse engineered how it worked and have it all documented. Even made a model to 3D print but sold my game before I did. I could possibly do a run of these if there's enough interest. Certainly at a much lower cost, also!

I'm in for one possibly... I was going to build one from legos, I bought a motor so far, but your solution may be just the ticket

#415 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'd say go for it... Between here and ebay, you'd sell more than enough of them to make it worth your while. In the meantime, i'd be very interested in more details about your project. Will you be replicating the Williams design, or the Basement Arcade mod that really doesn't work like the OEM does?

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I'd say go for it... Between here and ebay, you'd sell more than enough of them to make it worth your while. In the meantime, i'd be very interested in more details about your project. Will you be replicating the Williams design, or the Basement Arcade mod that really doesn't work like the OEM does?

How is the basement arcade mod different? I thought it worked just like the factory mod?

#417 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How is the basement arcade mod different? I thought it worked just like the factory mod?

It moves at least twice as fast and the building doesn't go down as far.

#418 7 years ago

Good point. I have access to a nice 3D printer now so it wouldn't be hard.

Next question - is there anyone that has an ES in Chicago that I could test my sinking building mod on? I'd give them one at a greatly reduced price of course!

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Good point. I have access to a nice 3D printer now so it wouldn't be hard.
Next question - is there anyone that has an ES in Chicago that I could test my sinking building mod on? I'd give them one at a greatly reduced price of course!

I'm in Detroit - not really close but I'm definitely interested. And willing to help you develop it if you're interested.

#420 7 years ago

Hey gang, I need a favor... If someone with a prototype game (with the factory moving institute) would snap a few clear pics of the assembly under the playfield? I need to see both sides if possible, with the building in the up default position.
I would really appreciate it guys... Thanks in advance!

#421 7 years ago

Funny that you say that the Basement Arcade mod is different since we tested next to a real original one and they worked the same. It's possible that in the last 13 years of making them, that we sourced with a faster motor along the way, but that can easily be adjusted with a resistor if someone wanted to slow it down (not exactly sure why you would want to though). And one piece of advice, printed parts are not going to work as well as what we use. I guess you'll figure that out though.

DSC00062 (resized).JPGDSC00062 (resized).JPG

PS - Sorry if it sounds sarcastic - I feel like I need to defend our product since we were the only one to try it for all of these years. We still make more from time to time.

#422 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Funny that you say that the Basement Arcade mod is different since we tested next to a real original one and they worked the same. It's possible that in the last 13 years of making them, that we sourced with a faster motor along the way, but that can easily be adjusted with a resistor if someone wanted to slow it down (not exactly sure why you would want to though). And one piece of advice, printed parts are not going to work as well as what we use. I guess you'll figure that out though.

PS - Sorry if it sounds sarcastic - I feel like I need to defend our product since we were the only one to try it for all of these years. We still make more from time to time.

No need to defend, as I in no way insulted your product! I will say that its too pricey for me, which is also NOT an insult, just not enough bang for 300 bucks to me. I have only seen this mod in one game, and the movement was way too fast and abrupt... For the effect to be worthwhile in my opinion, the building should move slowly and steadily down, similar to the graceful consistent fall of a demolished building.
Giving credit where credit is due, your unit is probably the most well engineered and highest quality "home-brew" pin mod I have ever seen.

#423 7 years ago

Finally managed to get an ES after looking for 3 years (and consistently missing out on local deals).
PF isn't super great, but it's not too bad either.

Just happy to finally have one home.

20170102_141524 (resized).jpg20170102_141524 (resized).jpg

#424 7 years ago

Drop targets.

This may sound strange but what is supposed to happen when you hit the drop targets? Mine don't score, yet they reset at the end of the ball. Do you get any points when hitting down each one? I think mine never have awarded anything.
I have a switch 29 problem (right hand drop) - will check the opto, but it has made me wonder how they are supposed to function!

From http://pinball.org/rules/earthshaker.html :
"The three drop targets are located near the bumpers at the base of the building. Hitting all three targets awards the current point value, resets the targets, and increments the value of the Jackpot.

The initial value at the start of each ball is 50K, and increments by 10K (up to 100K) each time the targets are reset. The "BILLBOARD VALUE 100K" Match-up award sets the point value to the 100K limit.

Also do they only reset at the end of the ball?

Can anyone help explain?

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Drop targets.
This may sound strange but what is supposed to happen when you hit the drop targets? Mine don't score, yet they reset at the end of the ball. Do you get any points when hitting down each one? I think mine never have awarded anything.
I have a switch 29 problem (right hand drop) - will check the opto, but it has made me wonder how they are supposed to function!
From http://pinball.org/rules/earthshaker.html :
"The three drop targets are located near the bumpers at the base of the building. Hitting all three targets awards the current point value, resets the targets, and increments the value of the Jackpot.
The initial value at the start of each ball is 50K, and increments by 10K (up to 100K) each time the targets are reset. The "BILLBOARD VALUE 100K" Match-up award sets the point value to the 100K limit.
Also do they only reset at the end of the ball?
Can anyone help explain?

Sounds like yours are not reading correctly when they are down.
They should reset at the end of each ball, and also immediately when all three are dropped.
The end of ball reset is automatic and will happen every time.
The all three down reset will only happen if the game knows they are all down. It won't know that if the switches are not registering correctly.
See what happens in switch test.

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Sounds like yours are not reading correctly when they are down.
They should reset at the end of each ball, and also immediately when all three are dropped.
The end of ball reset is automatic and will happen every time.
The all three down reset will only happen if the game knows they are all down. It won't know that if the switches are not registering correctly.
See what happens in switch test.

Agreed, sounds like one of the 3 optos on that drop bank is not reading. Switch test. Great Lakes makes a repro board if needed.

#427 7 years ago

Repro playfield just went into production at CPR....

http://classicplayfields.com/order.html

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Woo Hoo!
If you aren't signed up, get signed up now!

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Agreed, sounds like one of the 3 optos on that drop bank is not reading. Switch test. Great Lakes makes a repro board if needed.

Thanks guys yep I've ordered a new opto thingy.
In time I might buy the great lakes board - I've pre-ordered a new cpr playfield and a playfield swap is a good time to upgrade!!!

1 week later
#430 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

http://classicplayfields.com/order.html

Any idea when they might be asking for payment on the pre-orders? (I realize I could ask them but assume people here might have experience with them)

#431 7 years ago

Most likely when the ES play fields are completed and ready to ship, is my guess.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from alec_p:

Any idea when they might be asking for payment on the pre-orders? (I realize I could ask them but assume people here might have experience with them)

I once bought a repro ES backglass but that was direct from their store. I am also on the list for a repro WhirlWind playfield which is just ahead of the Earthshaker.
Might be able to tell you when that ships...

2 weeks later
#433 7 years ago

Hey all,
I'm new to Pinball playing and with the help of FLASHBALL just purchased my first machine. Of course it was a Earthshaker. Just wanted to post a intro thread so I can keep up with this thread!

#434 7 years ago

Welcome Adam, and congrats on a fine choice for your first pin!

#435 7 years ago

Great choice Adam - we love Earthshaker!

#436 7 years ago

My first pin also Adam! I never forgot it from my childhood days shaking the arcade floor!

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

My first pin also Adam! I never forgot it from my childhood days shaking the arcade floor!

Mine too! ES was the first pin in my collection since the 7 years I've been in the hobby. Believe it or not... I was playing ES with a close friend of mine during the Loma Prieta earthquake that hit in NorCal in '89. Perfect timing!! ...

#438 7 years ago

Hey gang, new to the club. Was hoping someone could snap a picture of their hardware in the back box used to lock down the back glass with the key? I just bought something off EBay and have everything installed, I think, except the metal pole with the different ends used to actually secure the glass. Not sure how it fits correctly in it.
Thanks much!
Rob

#439 7 years ago

This is the piece I am not sure of. It is installed in some fashion to secure the glass. Any pics of your machine's backglass would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!

Quoted from MAJRob:

Hey gang, new to the club. Was hoping someone could snap a picture of their hardware in the back box used to lock down the back glass with the key? I just bought something off EBay and have everything installed, I think, except the metal pole with the different ends used to actually secure the glass. Not sure how it fits correctly in it.
Thanks much!
Rob

IMG_0893 (resized).JPGIMG_0893 (resized).JPG

#440 7 years ago

MAJRob Let me know if you have questions. Here are three photos. Photo two shows the rod in the closed position. When I installed the slotted plate on my lock cylinder I must have tried fifty different configurations (there is only about four possible ways to install it) before I figured it out.

(or maybe one photo, or ten repeated photos? Attaching photos acting odd this morning.)

20170222_064520 (resized).jpg20170222_064520 (resized).jpg
20170222_064549 (resized).jpg20170222_064549 (resized).jpg

#441 7 years ago

I got my Earthshaker 2 weeks ago and started having a bunch of issues. One of my buddies has held me every step of the way, but one thing that went out that we don't have much we can do about is the display. I'm going to order a new display once I can save a little money, but I was wondering if anyone had one for parts that they would move cheep. Steven told me to post that the top row had started to gas out, and that we could possibly swap a glass out if we can get our hands on one. Thanks! I also added a pic, this was a route machine that they literally just electric tape the display in there!

IMG_20170215_213334 (resized).jpgIMG_20170215_213334 (resized).jpg

#442 7 years ago

This is exactly what I needed, thank you very much. I will crush on this tomorrow. Appreciate all the help very much YeOldPinPlayer.
Will report back when it's good to go!

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

majrob Let me know if you have questions. Here are three photos. Photo two shows the rod in the closed position. When I installed the slotted plate on my lock cylinder I must have tried fifty different configurations (there is only about four possible ways to install it) before I figured it out.
(or maybe one photo, or ten repeated photos? Attaching photos acting odd this morning.)

#443 7 years ago

IN the club. Have owned a very nice ES for about 12 years now. Great pin.

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from DatNoobAdam:

I got my Earthshaker 2 weeks ago and started having a bunch of issues. One of my buddies has held me every step of the way, but one thing that went out that we don't have much we can do about is the display. I'm going to order a new display once I can save a little money, but I was wondering if anyone had one for parts that they would move cheep. Steven told me to post that the top row had started to gas out, and that we could possibly swap a glass out if we can get our hands on one. Thanks! I also added a pic, this was a route machine that they literally just electric tape the display in there!

Not sure how bad your display is from the picture. The seller here is a good guy to deal with if you really need to swap the display out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11-display

#445 7 years ago

Looking for a playfield plastic protector set for ES. All the usual suspects seem to be out of stock. Anyone know where to buy one?

Thanks

Gerry

#446 7 years ago

Joined the club two weeks ago! Working on new rubbers this week! Loving owning the game so far!

20170210_210254 (resized).jpg20170210_210254 (resized).jpg

Resized_20170210_213341 (resized).jpegResized_20170210_213341 (resized).jpeg

20170211_092527 (resized).jpg20170211_092527 (resized).jpg

20170214_204803 (resized).jpg20170214_204803 (resized).jpg

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Looking for a playfield plastic protector set for ES. All the usual suspects seem to be out of stock. Anyone know where to buy one?
Thanks
Gerry

The #1 usual suspect has em in stock! http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CG1213

#448 7 years ago

Have you tried Pinbits

#449 7 years ago

Pinbits is sold out.You could call them.They could tell you when they will make some more.

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

This is exactly what I needed, thank you very much. I will crush on this tomorrow. Appreciate all the help very much YeOldPinPlayer.
Will report back when it's good to go!

Your pics were perfect, all good to go!! Thank you very much

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.