(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,707 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Maniac227
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0b43f68a92ad2a113579747caaf7c6761f11b600 (resized).jpg
3f67412861c58cda3fcad968f3645de51b3d7f76 (resized).jpg
33618FAF-9FAB-47A1-B0B8-E833B27E25B9 (resized).jpeg
e063475e405a7597399e6730b1b41baca06a84e7 (resized).jpg
IMG_2885 (resized).JPG
9B7554FD-9742-4F06-98E5-E6B7574EA385 (resized).jpeg
F9070A9E-C24C-450D-B905-2C3FC8A8CDFA (resized).jpeg
1FECC41B-D704-416E-ADFA-9862781B3D21 (resized).jpeg
73B13FD1-0EB2-4339-9D6A-EA67C23B948A (resized).jpeg
CC5A6371-A4D6-4E1D-8A40-9FFD8B1A47FC (resized).jpeg
image (5)1 (resized).png
es101.jpg
Screenshot_20221111-095730_Gallery (resized).jpg
2a (resized).png
1a (resized).png
20221103_141301 (resized).jpg

There are 1,707 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 35.
#1651 43 days ago

So I am having a bit of trouble with the starship fantasy spiral ramp. The ball hole for the 50k drop (the lowest one) doesn’t seem to line up with the ball guide well. This causes the ball to frequently get stuck on the way to the playfield. How should I fix? Remove the spiral ramp and bend the ball guide slightly? The ramp was an extreme pain to get in place.

#1652 42 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I bought the sinking institute mod for my ES restore. This thing is a top notch mod! Anyway, I thought notching my repro ramp was going to be necessary to allow the institute to clear. Instead, I decided to design/print a new institute with a notch to avoid the thicker repro ramps. Ended up, notching was unnecessary as there was clearance. Long story short, I experimented with some other colors but red still looks the best. If anyone is in need of a replacement institute, I may be able to help. Also, I am looking into some things to spice up the institute. More to come....
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very cool stuff. I run a CR-10s printer and would love to see how you spice things up. I love printing mods.

#1653 40 days ago

Is there any place that makes replacement wireforms for Earthshaker?

#1654 40 days ago
Quoted from Photopin:

replacement wireforms for Earthshaker?

There were some used ones at pinball spare parts Australia, a short while back

#1655 39 days ago
Quoted from pinballlarry1:

shaker motor weights are both pointing straight down when not rotating. This is mine before I put in new motor brushes, that helped greatly:
[quoted image]
after cleaning and painting:
[quoted image]
also put loctite on the weight setscrews.

Where did you get the brushes? Do you have a part number I can search for?

#1656 39 days ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Where did you get the brushes? Do you have a part number I can search for?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9604

Part numbers here they are sold out but try pinball resource using those part no. That's where I got mine although that was over ten years ago.

#1657 39 days ago

Does anyone else have problems with switches registering when the shaker is running?
My Top Ball Popper switch doesn't register when I shoot a ball into it while the game is shaking. It works fine without the shaking. The problem with this is I can never score the Million or Jackpot shot in Quick or regular Multiball if I have the shaker enabled. Bottom Ball Popper switch works fine.
I tried adjusting the switch to no avail. I'm thinking the shaking is making the switch pulse rapidly, too quick for the CPU to see it. Maybe adding a capacitor might help?

#1658 39 days ago

Back from my trip... manufacturers called order ready , will pick them up tomorrow...
Unobtainium no more !

#1659 39 days ago
Quoted from humanoid:

I tried adjusting the switch to no avail. I'm thinking the shaking is making the switch pulse rapidly, too quick for the CPU to see it. Maybe adding a capacitor might help?

You can't put switch caps on Williams switch matrix it causes the switch to repeat after it's first activation at least you can't put the same value as Bally used. Other value might work but you shouldn't need to do this. Maybe replace the contacts if they are missing the gold plating.

#1660 39 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can't put switch caps on Williams switch matrix it causes the switch to repeat after it's first activation at least you can't put the same value as Bally used. Other value might work but you shouldn't need to do this. Maybe replace the contacts if they are missing the gold plating.

Hmm, good to know. I'll have another go at cleaning it, maybe with some 99% alcohol. If that doesn't work, I'll just replace the switch.
Thanks for your help!

#1661 37 days ago

Actuator update...
Picked them up yesterday!
The sizing is an exact match , the height of the shaft is a little smaller by 1/16 but had it in my machine and added a washer.
The company is willing to redo them all or I can ship them out as is and washer can be added.
Please PM me and see what's best for everyone...
Rob

When installed in my game it completely removes the sloppiness that I had when the fault would open and close

20221026_065741 (resized).jpg20221026_070406 (resized).jpg20221026_070419 (resized).jpg20221026_070424 (resized).jpg
#1662 37 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Actuator update...
Picked them up yesterday!
The sizing is an exact match , the height of the shaft is a little smaller by 1/16 but had it in my machine and added a washer.
The company is willing to redo them all or I can ship them out as is and washer can be added.
Please PM me and see what's best for everyone...
Rob
When installed in my game it completely removes the sloppiness that I had when the fault would open and close
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Thank you so much for getting this done! I am fine with using a washer. I'll PM you to send payment and my address.

#1663 37 days ago

im ok with a washer too.

#1664 37 days ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

im ok with a washer too.

yours will be sent to Hobbes !

#1665 37 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

yours will be sent to Hobbes !

Hobbes says he's okay with that

Chris

#1666 35 days ago

If you do get any more made, please can I be added to the list.

Thanks
Andy

#1667 29 days ago

After a guy getting fired there , they found the parts ...
Been super busy at work so will reach out to all the PM's that were sent to me this weekend...
Sorry for the delay ...
Pinball is really hard ...
My apologies for the delay

20221103_141301 (resized).jpg
#1668 29 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Been super busy at work so will reach out to all the PM's that were sent to me this weekend...
Sorry for the delay ...
[quoted image]

No problem at all sir. My diverter took 30+ years to wear out a little, I'm in no big hurry. Life comes first.

#1669 28 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Sorry for the delay ...
[quoted image]

No apologies needed. Appreciate you undertaking this unobtainable part for Earthshaker!

#1670 28 days ago

I'm going to be restoring a very rough ES - anyone have a list of 'must have' parts and sources for this?

#1671 26 days ago

pb456 I’m finishing up an earthshaker that was really rough. If you want a set of cliffy protectors I’d order them now as he’s got a long waitlist. I also recommend comet leds in sunlight for the gi. Also, adding some extra lighting like spotlights makes a big difference on this game.

#1672 22 days ago

Quick update the actuator arms are in the mail ... all those involved have been sent pms .. sadly I had 2 cancel so if anyone is still in need let me know.
My apologies for the delay but with -21 weather and me being responsible for 70 trucks and drivers serving 125 companies I haven't had time for a personal life ...

#1673 22 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Quick update the actuator arms are in the mail ... all those involved have been sent pms .. sadly I had 2 cancel so if anyone is still in need let me know.
My apologies for the delay but with -21 weather and me being responsible for 70 trucks and drivers serving 125 companies I haven't had time for a personal life ...

I’ll take one! Pm sent.

#1674 21 days ago

Hello everyone, I'm Eric and I'm a new owner of an Earthshaker pin. It is going to be a rebuild project.

A question if I may. My Interconnect Board is burned up, and in the process of rebuilding connectors, I discovered someone had soldered wires to the rear of the board.

The are only (5) wires going to J7 on the Interconnect Board. Pins 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. However the manual shows an Orange Wire going to pin (5)

2J7-5 = ORG = +25 Vdc / Sol. Power "C"

I've included the pages out of the manual for a reference. Am I missing a wire?? Is it a misprint?
Thanks for your help

1a (resized).png2a (resized).png
#1675 21 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello everyone, I'm Eric and I'm a new owner of an Earthshaker pin. It is going to be a rebuild project.
A question if I may. My Interconnect Board is burned up, and in the process of rebuilding connectors, I discovered someone had soldered wires to the rear of the board.
The are only (5) wires going to J7 on the Interconnect Board. Pins 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. However the manual shows an Orange Wire going to pin (5)
I've included the pages out of the manual for a reference. Am I missing a wire?? Is it a misprint?
Thanks for your help
[quoted image][quoted image]

Here's a photo from my machine. I have a red wire on pin 6, but nothing on pin 5. My game works fine, not sure where the "C" side 25v comes from.

Screenshot_20221111-095730_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1676 21 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

It is INCORRECT. There are no flashers in the insert (backbox). The only assembly requiring power in the backbox is the GI relay. That is solenoid #11. It is supplied (powered) by the RED wire and driven by the BRN-ORG wire at 2J11.

es101.jpg

Image is not mine. Courtesy of another Pinside member.

#1677 21 days ago

Thank you everyone for your comments on the J7 pin 5 issue.

1 week later
#1678 11 days ago

Joined the club today!

image (5)1 (resized).png
#1679 11 days ago

Technically I joined back in the spring when I picked this up at an estate auction. Got a great deal on it. But….it’s missing the CPU board.

Finally got around to moving it into the gameroom for a winter restore project.

Looking forward to tearing into it.

73B13FD1-0EB2-4339-9D6A-EA67C23B948A (resized).jpegCC5A6371-A4D6-4E1D-8A40-9FFD8B1A47FC (resized).jpeg
#1680 11 days ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Technically I joined back in the spring when I picked this up at an estate auction. Got a great deal on it. But….it’s missing the CPU board.
Finally got around to moving it into the gameroom for a winter restore project.
Looking forward to tearing into it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like a prototype model with the sinking building.

#1681 11 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

That looks like a prototype model with the sinking building.

I dont believe it has the sinking building. I havent done much digging into it yet, but do remember that the building appeared stationary.

What was it you saw in the photo that made you think that? I dont know much about Earthshaker, so im curious.

#1682 11 days ago

F9070A9E-C24C-450D-B905-2C3FC8A8CDFA (resized).jpeg

Quoted from Ceckitti:

I dont believe it has the sinking building. I havent done much digging into it yet, but do remember that the building appeared stationary.
What was it you saw in the photo that made you think that? I dont know much about Earthshaker, so im curious.

It looks like the prototype screened cabinet with lighter blue vs the decals on later generation with red cracks/red border on head. Here is what mine looks like. The last photo is regular production model with darker blue cabinet/red cracks/border. You can see the differences. Check the serial number in cab. There were only 5-7k of these made so last 4 digits indicate the number in production. Anything 200 or less should be a prototype

1FECC41B-D704-416E-ADFA-9862781B3D21 (resized).jpeg

9B7554FD-9742-4F06-98E5-E6B7574EA385 (resized).jpeg

#1683 10 days ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

The light blue cab does make it look like a proto, but you can tell if it has the sinking building if it has the somewhat triangular clear plastic mounted on top of the red institute unit. If it has that clear plastic, the institute does NOT sink.

#1684 8 days ago

Doing some light cleaning and repairs after the Houston Arcade Expo and I noticed the coil sleeve on the bottom upkicker was shot. After replacing it I cannot seem to properly adjust the assembly to work correctly. Is the "Y" switch under the upkicker ball cradle N/O? N/C? There is a small flathead screw where I can adjust the height of the cradle but not sure how it is supposed to go... Thanks in advance for any amplifying info and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Shawn

IMG_2885 (resized).JPG
#1685 7 days ago

Hello Earthshaker Owners....some help if you don't mind please.
On my machine, I am trying to determine the correct location for this flasher. (This photo isn't my machine) My machine the flasher socket was loose and not connected. I question this location however (pictured) because it can't light up anything.
Thoughts or ideas?

Eric

e063475e405a7597399e6730b1b41baca06a84e7 (resized).jpg
#1686 6 days ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Doing some light cleaning and repairs after the Houston Arcade Expo and I noticed the coil sleeve on the bottom upkicker was shot. After replacing it I cannot seem to properly adjust the assembly to work correctly. Is the "Y" switch under the upkicker ball cradle N/O? N/C? There is a small flathead screw where I can adjust the height of the cradle but not sure how it is supposed to go... Thanks in advance for any amplifying info and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Shawn
[quoted image]

There should NOT be a screw in there at all. Someone has rigged it!!! In addition, there should also be a spring which holds the ball cradle. You need a new assembly. I would also inspect the other one in the machine, likely it's been messed with too

#1687 6 days ago

I have a sound question. Using L-3 Rom version, and also new ribbon cables, why does the "attract sound" not work? Yes, I have it selected to "ON" in the settings, however after 10 minutes....1 hour....nothing. Yes, it's not a big deal, however now I am interested to know if its an issue?

#1688 6 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

There should NOT be a screw in there at all. Someone has rigged it!!! In addition, there should also be a spring which holds the ball cradle. You need a new assembly. I would also inspect the other one in the machine, likely it's been messed with too

Rebuild kit is available, don’t know what’s up with that screw.

33618FAF-9FAB-47A1-B0B8-E833B27E25B9 (resized).jpeg
#1689 6 days ago

Okay, a spring makes much more sense. So the switch is normally open and when a ball comes in it closes to let the machine know it is there to be kicked out(or held) and once the ball is kicked out the switch is open again. Is that right?

#1690 6 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I have a sound question. Using L-3 Rom version, and also new ribbon cables, why does the "attract sound" not work? Yes, I have it selected to "ON" in the settings, however after 10 minutes....1 hour....nothing. Yes, it's not a big deal, however now I am interested to know if its an issue?

Looks like it's never accessed during the attract mode in the code. Sounds like a bug.

There is definitely code to access the setting, and it looks like it might play sounds, but if nothing calls it.... never plays it.

EDIT: It is called at bootup, but never really does anything with it, and doesn't ever recall it.

#1691 6 days ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Okay, a spring makes much more sense. So the switch is normally open and when a ball comes in it closes to let the machine know it is there to be kicked out(or held) and once the ball is kicked out the switch is open again. Is that right?

If you look at the switch you can tell if it’s open or closed in normal state. Is it not working? Coil not firing?

#1692 6 days ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

If you look at the switch you can tell if it’s open or closed in normal state. Is it not working? Coil not firing?

Um, not if it has been misadjusted...

Looked at the lower VUK and figured it out. Removed screw, added roll pin and spring. All is working fine again. Switch is N/O.

#1693 6 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello Earthshaker Owners....some help if you don't mind please.
On my machine, I am trying to determine the correct location for this flasher. (This photo isn't my machine) My machine the flasher socket was loose and not connected. I question this location however (pictured) because it can't light up anything.
Thoughts or ideas?
Eric
[quoted image]

That light should be mounted on the other side of the playfield (topside). The socket and wires go through the hole and the unit is mounted on top of the playfield. I should be able to send you a picture tomorrow.

#1694 6 days ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

you got it. Interesting they don't call out the spring in the manual, however all the other machines I work on require the ball to push down to active the switch. This will work much better for you

#1695 6 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Looks like it's never accessed during the attract mode in the code. Sounds like a bug.
There is definitely code to access the setting, and it looks like it might play sounds, but if nothing calls it.... never plays it.
EDIT: It is called at bootup, but never really does anything with it, and doesn't ever recall it.

The machine is currently in a rebuild status, in fact the playfield is not installed at all. That said, I wouldn't imagine that would affect anything. The system boots fine, let's me go into diagnostics fine, I can even go through all the sound test...different music, so on. Going on to the next sound test, I get voice call outs. So not sure why it won't do the attract mode...

By the way, is there a "clock" or time setting in this machine??

Eric

#1696 6 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Quoted from slochar:

ES is like Twilight Zone...when you turn on attract sounds you will only hear it if a game has been played. If you turn on the machine and don't start a game the attract sounds will never play.

#1697 6 days ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

ES is like Twilight Zone...when you turn on attract sounds you will only hear it if a game has been played. If you turn on the machine and don't start a game the attract sounds will never play.

My attract sounds start as soon as the game
Is turned on. And play on and off for a few minutes and then quiet down

#1698 6 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

My attract sounds start as soon as the game
Is turned on. And play on and off for a few minutes and then quiet down

Yeah, I've posted about this issue before. I have ROM LU3. Weird behavior of this game...my attract sounds never play unless I play a game first.

3f67412861c58cda3fcad968f3645de51b3d7f76 (resized).jpg
#1699 6 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

This will work much better for you

Works great now! The only bug I have left is to adjust the mech that splits the states. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Never really gotten a good look at it as I cannot remove the play field by myself. A friend will be coming by sometime in the near future to help me remove the play field so I can replace a stripped out leg bolt plate at the back of the cabinet and I will get a good look at it then. I've tried to mess with it with the playfield tilted up but cannot really see what is what.

#1700 6 days ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Lu 3? Hmm I think the core one in mine was la 3. I'll have to do more digging to see how it gets called because it certainly does at bootup but I didn't see from where. I thought of the game start thing as well but I was pinmame debugger and didn't remember which were the trough switches to be able to start a game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Duncannon, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Rutledge, PA
3,990 (OBO)
There are 1,707 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!