(Topic ID: 87473)

Earthshaker Owners Club - it's all your fault!

By jibmums

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,312 posts
  • 296 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240323_141052372 (resized).jpg
IMG20240303192519 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225143157~2 (resized).jpg
IMG20240225142438~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpeg
bracket (resized).jpg
arm (resized).png
IMG_2735 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
s11_line_voltage_transformer_primary.jpg
IMG_0591 (resized).jpeg
s11_pwr_schematic.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0590 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0533 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 47.
#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Got a replacement plastic set the other day. This plastic was included and I can’t find it on my game. Any idea where it’s supposed to go? It’s about an inch long
[quoted image]

Keychain, maybe?

#1402 1 year ago
Quoted from Andypc:

I occasionally get a ball stuck here when trying to lock the ball, which is really frustrating. What adjustments do I need to make to get this to more consistent and follow the channel to complete the lock.[quoted image]

It looks to me like you're missing the blue rubber pad at the end of the wireform. Without that on, it can change the ball location when it's trying to line up with the grooves.

#1403 1 year ago

I got an email from Mark at Basement Arcade that the Sinking Institute Kits are available once again. Yay!

http://www.basementarcade.com/For_Sale.html

#1404 1 year ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I got an email from Mark at Basement Arcade that the Sinking Institute Kits are available once again. Yay!
http://www.basementarcade.com/For_Sale.html

Yes, I was about to post that. Ordered mine today!

Thanks for making them available again!

Chris

#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from waymon:

I tried a few different ways but never could get the attack sounds to work. Had the machine on for over 12 hours today and it got played a bunch. ??? I’ll have to research it some. I may have a ROM issue but seems all the sound during gameplay works as it should.

Yeah, mine definitely has sounds during attract mode. I just finished a game, and not more than 1 or 2 minutes later the music plays for 10 sec or so...every few minutes. If you are certain that its turned on in the menus, maybe check your ROM version. This is what mine displays (see photo)

20220531_225253 (resized).jpg20220531_225253 (resized).jpg
#1406 1 year ago

When my California-Nevada diverter opens up, about 1/3rd of the time the ball doesn't roll down the open gap leading to the subway, but intead just rolls off the front of the diverter and falls onto the playfield.

Is there any adjustment I can make to improve the action of the ball and prevent this?

*side note: it is cool that Lawlor and team realized that this might happen, and programmed the game to then allow you to work on the next set of zones you need to visit...while also keeping the lock shot(s) illuminated. So you're not really penalized...but it is annoying.

#1407 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

When my California-Nevada diverter opens up, about 1/3rd of the time the ball doesn't roll down the open gap leading to the subway, but intead just rolls off the front of the diverter and falls onto the playfield.
Is there any adjustment I can make to improve the action of the ball and prevent this?
*side note: it is cool that Lawlor and team realized that this might happen, and programmed the game to then allow you to work on the next set of zones you need to visit...while also keeping the lock shot(s) illuminated. So you're not really penalized...but it is annoying.

Mine also does this on occasion. I was thinking of trying a new foam piece at the end of the wire form, where the balls hits before going on the California/Nevada diverter. I'll let you know if this helps. If you run into anything that works, please let me know. I have the sinking institute mod and before I got the game someone glued a plastic piece on the top/back of it so any balls that are not correctly diverted cannot get stuck behind the institute, this was obviously an issue before i got the game and this was their solution. It looks like crap though, so I'm going to find another way to fix the issue.

#1408 1 year ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Mine also does this on occasion. I was thinking of trying a new foam piece at the end of the wire form, where the balls hits before going on the California/Nevada diverter. I'll let you know if this helps. If you run into anything that works, please let me know. I have the sinking institute mod and before I got the game someone glued a plastic piece on the top/back of it so any balls that are not correctly diverted cannot get stuck behind the institute, this was obviously an issue before i got the game and this was their solution. It looks like crap though, so I'm going to find another way to fix the issue.

I have already tried shimming the entire diverter mechanism underneath to tilt the states more toward the right side, and perhaps it helped a bit. I feel like bending the metal tab that they attach to, but I wonder if there's a more elegant adjustment to be made.

#1409 1 year ago

Cleaning up nicely. Colors just pop. So beautiful for a routed 33 year old game

D4030354-D4B7-4D74-BEA9-F0736B5742AE (resized).jpegD4030354-D4B7-4D74-BEA9-F0736B5742AE (resized).jpegEDBA6469-0C78-4FE7-89EA-DEA046F992BF (resized).jpegEDBA6469-0C78-4FE7-89EA-DEA046F992BF (resized).jpeg
#1410 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Got a replacement plastic set the other day. This plastic was included and I can’t find it on my game. Any idea where it’s supposed to go? It’s about an inch long
[quoted image]

20220312_141806 (resized).jpg20220312_141806 (resized).jpg

Just realized this is not the piece you were asking about....sorry.

#1411 1 year ago

Am I missing something in the manual? I am looking to understand what each fuse is for so that if something isn't working, I can check the list and find the fuse.
In the manual, there is a page showing what each fuse (part number) is and the location, but I cannot find the purpose. As an example, which fuses operate the lower GI?

#1412 1 year ago
Quoted from rmillman:

Am I missing something in the manual? I am looking to understand what each fuse is for so that if something isn't working, I can check the list and find the fuse.
In the manual, there is a page showing what each fuse (part number) is and the location, but I cannot find the purpose. As an example, which fuses operate the lower GI?

Here is a general fuse list for System 11 games. You’ll find this and tons of other useful repair information in here:

https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.htm#fuses

716A30DE-539E-405D-9975-081F3FDADB80 (resized).jpeg716A30DE-539E-405D-9975-081F3FDADB80 (resized).jpeg
#1413 1 year ago

What's the right way to test power coming from transformer?

I am having a problem (rebuilding playfield not the transformer) with my lower gi. So I figured I would start from the transformer and work my way to the light bulbs. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere, but thought, since I've never actually started this game when I got it, I would learn and start at the beginning.

The schematic indicates 2 solid and 2 yellow / white wires coming from the transformer. I figured I would test those. Using the principal of it's usually something simple, I assume I am the problem. When I test each of the lines in the connector touching from the line to ground wire in the cabinet, I get different voltages (AC). Then I went looking on the web for how to test a transformer and I am seeing that I'm probably doing it wrong. Should I be testing from pin 1 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 4? If so, what should I expect to see?

Downstream, each of those wires get split (parallel) to 2 wires each to connect to the interconnect board. If I want to check the power on the output of the interconnect board, I would use connectors 2J7, 2J9 and 2J10. What's the right way to check the voltage on each of the pins? As an example, testing the lighting on the coin door, do I use 2J10, touching pins 9 and 10, or do I test each individual, if so, what is common?

Thanks

giPower (resized).pnggiPower (resized).png
#1414 1 year ago

Does anyone have a good solution to prevent the yellow target from getting bent over on an angle like this? I suppose I could make some sort of bracket to mount below the PF to hold it in the vertical position. Anyone already solved this?

20220607_212202 (resized).jpg20220607_212202 (resized).jpg
#1415 1 year ago

Does anyone have a good solution to prevent the yellow target from getting bent over on an angle like this? I suppose I could make some sort of bracket to mount below the PF to hold it in the vertical position. Anyone already solved this?

Re-crimp the rivets holding it together (sometimes clamping it in a vice works), or replace it.

#1416 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Get one of these from PL. https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK3
It works with Williams too. Just need to drill out the rivets and insert screws in their place. Have had great success on ES, TAF, Radical, etc.

Here’s an example on the ES I just wrapped up:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaking-up-another-old-earthshaker-for-a-refresh#post-6893925

#1417 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Get one of these from PL. https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK3
It works with Williams too. Just need to drill out the rivets and insert screws in their place. Have had great success on ES, TAF, Radical, etc.
Here’s an example on the ES I just wrapped up:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaking-up-another-old-earthshaker-for-a-refresh#post-6893925

That is EXACTLY what I need! Thanks!

I need to check out Pinball Life more often. I've actually never ordered from them. And yeah, my Funhouse has the same issue on the lower hotdog target. Definitely ordering 2 or 3 of the kits. My TAF is in the states and I haven't laid eyes on it in a while, but you're saying one of its targets is susceptible as well?

#1418 1 year ago

That is EXACTLY what I need! Thanks!
I need to check out Pinball Life more often. I've actually never ordered from them. And yeah, my Funhouse has the same issue on the lower hotdog target. Definitely ordering 2 or 3 of the kits. My TAF is in the states and I haven't laid eyes on it in a while, but you're saying one of its targets is susceptible as well?

I used to use the regular reinforced styles as TAF swamp is really bad for bending them back and twisting. Then found they sold these which I guess Stern uses. Super clever device.

And yes, anywhere you want a reinforced target and/or anti sway, this is your part. It works in ES fine. But other games I’d recommend testing as you do have the thickness difference due to the “L” part.

#1419 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Easy hack (until the new part arrives), put a small zip-tie around the entire switch toward the top of it (but still under the playfield). Pull it extra tight and it should stop it from splaying off to the side. I only know this because my newly acquired Earthshaker had a zip tie around that switch, which I though was weird, so I removed it. Within a day or two the target had moved over, just like yours. I immediately replaced the zip tie and haven't had any issues with it since then. I've been planning on replacing it when I get around to doing a shop out on it. Happy to take a picture of mine with the zip tie if it's helpful.

1 week later
#1420 1 year ago

New rail. cleaning of the braids and boards. Back box repair. We’re moving along nicely

51BE452D-A481-4A18-A475-48C47CE1015D (resized).jpeg51BE452D-A481-4A18-A475-48C47CE1015D (resized).jpegE15C9616-99F3-4CF8-93B7-35C05F3F368D (resized).jpegE15C9616-99F3-4CF8-93B7-35C05F3F368D (resized).jpeg54861011-1E57-4D45-A6D4-8F7C88FD52D1 (resized).jpeg54861011-1E57-4D45-A6D4-8F7C88FD52D1 (resized).jpeg31D79B6E-27E9-4C22-AD94-509F61710406 (resized).jpeg31D79B6E-27E9-4C22-AD94-509F61710406 (resized).jpeg85F4DA1E-A04D-49FF-B122-AFBEA4D1B443 (resized).jpeg85F4DA1E-A04D-49FF-B122-AFBEA4D1B443 (resized).jpeg
#1421 1 year ago

Can someone help me with the part number for the left flipper leaf switch? I got two of the same (the one that’s in stock in the photo), but it’s a single, correct for the right side.

For the left one I obviously need a dual leaf switch for the two flippers that are on the left.
I’m guessing it would be the one in the other photo, but seems like it’s not something Marco stocks up on. Haven’t been able to see it elsewhere
Thanx

0466998D-56B3-401F-81B5-3D7D46E43AAF (resized).jpeg0466998D-56B3-401F-81B5-3D7D46E43AAF (resized).jpeg5D200D82-7F5B-4A17-A9B9-445701C8B12B (resized).jpeg5D200D82-7F5B-4A17-A9B9-445701C8B12B (resized).jpeg
#1422 1 year ago

Anyone put LEDs in the building? Trying to decide if I should change out. If so, what did you use and are you happy with the choice?

#1423 1 year ago
Quoted from rmillman:

Anyone put LEDs in the building? Trying to decide if I should change out. If so, what did you use and are you happy with the choice?

I did, and I'm not a fan. Haven't been super motivated to change it to warm white though. Numbers are color coordinated to their playfield inserts.

20220615_183527 (resized).jpg20220615_183527 (resized).jpg

#1424 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

Can someone help me with the part number for the left flipper leaf switch? I got two of the same (the one that’s in stock in the photo), but it’s a single, correct for the right side.
For the left one I obviously need a dual leaf switch for the two flippers that are on the left.
I’m guessing it would be the one in the other photo, but seems like it’s not something Marco stocks up on. Haven’t been able to see it elsewhere
Thanx[quoted image][quoted image]

Found it in Europe. Check this link. https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/switch-dual-leaf-contact-assy.html
Otherwise you may have to build it.

#1425 1 year ago

All LEDs (Cointaker) in mine and I've been very happy with it. Difficult to get a good photo since they kind of "blow out" in the photo, be here you go.

20220615_210918 (resized).jpg20220615_210918 (resized).jpg20220615_211009 (resized).jpg20220615_211009 (resized).jpg
#1426 1 year ago
Quoted from rmillman:

Found it in Europe. Check this link. https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/switch-dual-leaf-contact-assy.html
Otherwise you may have to build it.

Thanks, I just placed and order with them a week or two ago which is on its way :-/ oops

#1427 1 year ago

Did they ever make an alternative version for the back glass?

#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Yup, in early games, the kid's baseball cap had a Chicago Cubs logo on it, later games didnt.

#1429 1 year ago

Wasn’t that Whirlwind?

#1430 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Wasn’t that Whirlwind?

Yup. Whirlwind.

Earthshaker’s early production backglass uses a hot pink Cadillac. Production backglasses are red.

#1431 1 year ago

Oh ok, thank you.

#1432 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Wasn’t that Whirlwind?

Doh! I gotta stop bouncing back and forth from the Whirlwind forum!

#1434 1 year ago

In a 2 pin collection do you think ES and WW would be a good fit?

#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

B055705D-86FD-4A16-91D1-1E4AAE98E63E (resized).jpegB055705D-86FD-4A16-91D1-1E4AAE98E63E (resized).jpeg
#1436 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

I think they are too similar for a small collection. Better to have more variety.

#1437 1 year ago

It’s been a while since I played ES but I thought with it being a little more stop and go that it might compliment WW.

#1438 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

If you want to be able to answer "yes" to to the first question everyone ask as soon as they find you have ES, then yes, get WW.

#1439 1 year ago

Is there any GI/LED controller boards awailable for system 11 ?
Anyone experiencing flickering after converting to LED ?

#1440 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

They have completely different designs and shoot completely differently, but the rules for both are essentially the same--right down to the rules for the quick multiball. I'd say they complement each other in a collection, but I wouldn't want them to be my only two games. If money is no object and you can only have one, choose Whirlwind. It's the better game. If you're trying to be a little more budget conscious, go with Earthshaker.

#1441 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Absofrigginlutely! Unless you're restricted to just one game... If you have one of the 2, you HAVE to have the other!
Yes, they are both "natural disaster" themes, but Whirlwind is a completely different game, and the best of the 2 by far IMO!!

#1442 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Is there any GI/LED controller boards awailable for system 11 ?
Anyone experiencing flickering after converting to LED ?

My machine isn't fully running yet, but I'm not really seeing flicker with just the power on.

I do have some concerns about my flashers though. Still rebuilding.
You can check this out:

#1443 1 year ago

I currently have WW and I am looking for a 2nd pin to add. I also currently have RS which is fun. My wife and daughter hate the heads so I’m selling or trading it off and probably going to get another system 11 next to WW.

#1444 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

I also currently have RS which is fun. My wife and daughter hate the heads so I’m selling or trading it off and probably going to get another system 11 next to WW.

What is it with women and their issues with Ted, Red & Rudy!?! I hear this stuff all the time!

#1445 1 year ago

Hahahaha. It is such a good game!

#1446 1 year ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Absofrigginlutely! Unless you're restricted to just one game... If you have one of the 2, you HAVE to have the other!
Yes, they are both "natural disaster" themes, but Whirlwind is a completely different game, and the best of the 2 by far IMO!!

Totally agree!

WW:ES.jpg.pdfWW:ES.jpg.pdf
#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Both GREAT games. I recently finished rebuilding my ES after a playfield swap and really love it. Bought a WW a few weeks ago and haven't touched it at all yet..two other big projects in-work.

20220502_192221 (resized).jpg20220502_192221 (resized).jpg20220526_180211 (resized).jpg20220526_180211 (resized).jpg
#1448 1 year ago

More progress today. Had an amazing friend I met through the hobby help me out with a ruined backbox which came out beautifully imo. Prepared some of the plastics, and added the post by the flippers which had to be drilled in.

0E1E02FB-A9A7-40AE-941E-85E0D0431455 (resized).jpeg0E1E02FB-A9A7-40AE-941E-85E0D0431455 (resized).jpeg

83415788-C198-4CB0-9D23-8C6D884BEBC1 (resized).jpeg83415788-C198-4CB0-9D23-8C6D884BEBC1 (resized).jpegDAE634F7-0DA8-4E6C-9082-C850B146E443 (resized).jpegDAE634F7-0DA8-4E6C-9082-C850B146E443 (resized).jpegF9C8C944-F28D-4B2F-A5E5-1B15F2BD7DE1 (resized).jpegF9C8C944-F28D-4B2F-A5E5-1B15F2BD7DE1 (resized).jpegFC2208E4-DCF3-428B-A072-FD56A5328B55 (resized).jpegFC2208E4-DCF3-428B-A072-FD56A5328B55 (resized).jpeg7BF69A7F-166F-4FC0-961E-CA9606D224DF (resized).jpeg7BF69A7F-166F-4FC0-961E-CA9606D224DF (resized).jpeg284E427F-7B9A-42EC-9732-614BE740C99C (resized).jpeg284E427F-7B9A-42EC-9732-614BE740C99C (resized).jpeg68C9F599-1367-4FFB-8481-B1301AC69887 (resized).jpeg68C9F599-1367-4FFB-8481-B1301AC69887 (resized).jpegC93E5201-1F89-4A24-8028-3D15447B1832 (resized).jpegC93E5201-1F89-4A24-8028-3D15447B1832 (resized).jpeg

DFF3E90E-26DF-41AB-B8A0-77214EAFA96E (resized).jpegDFF3E90E-26DF-41AB-B8A0-77214EAFA96E (resized).jpeg
#1449 1 year ago

Nice work! Curious, where did you purchase your cabinet decals? They look awesome!

#1450 1 year ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Nice work! Curious, where did you purchase your cabinet decals? They look awesome!

That’s the original cabinet !!!! has some scuffs but gorgeous on both sides, so not touching that.
Edit: in case you mean the backbox decals those I got from someone in Croatia but for the life of me I can’t find the email or pm here to send you his name.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/earthshaker-owners-club-its-all-your-fault/page/29?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.